The Student Room Group

UCAS Reference

My tutor showed me my reference today and I really don't like it. The content is good mostly - she's put in a lot of good comments about me - but I find the writing style really bad. Everything she says is in short sentences, and no related sentences are linked. Everything written just sounds like she's stating a fact but then she gives no evidence to back it up, doesn't expand on it, and hasn't linked it to my course at all. For example, she's put something about my exploration of writer's language in English, but I'm applying for Biology so obviously that isn't relevant, whereas she hasn't even put the obvious links such as ability to structure an arguement and analysis of sources. The Biology paragraph is also by far the shortest...

What should I say to her? I feel like I can't really tell her I just don't like it, and I don't think I'm allowed to make too many suggestions since she's meant to be writing it? And how can I make these suggestions sound less harsh?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
What it says is more important than the writing style. Unis aren't going to judge you on how your referee links sentences! So don't say anything about that.

You could make suggestions on content, but your referee doesn't have to take any notice and change things.

Quick Reply

Latest