The Student Room Group

Missing school girl with Maths teacher.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Gee:)
Legally, she can't consent. Although in all honesty at 15 she has a brain and knows exactly what she is doing! I feel slightly sorry for the teacher seeing as he is the one who will land in a pile of sh*t whilst everyone treats her like a victim!

She can. They are in France remember? That is why her teacher brought her there.
Reply 81
Original post by aliluvschoc
Yes.

The abuse of a position of trust is a criminal offence under the Sexual Offences Act 2003.

A person over the age of 18 who is in a position of trust over a person under the age of 18 commits a criminal offence if they involve the younger person in sexual activity. The offence first appeared in in sections 16-24 of the Sexual Offences (Amendments) Act 2000, which lists the following occupations to which the law applies:

Institutions looking after young people who are detained under a court order or enactment, such as a young offenders institution.
Accommodation provided by local authorities and voluntary organisations under statutory provision.
Hospitals, independent clinics, care homes, residential care homes, private hospitals, community homes, voluntary homes, children's homes and residential family centres.
Educational institutions.

We can assume that he has begun a sexual relationship with this girl. If not, I can only assume that there will be other areas of the law, in relation to this act, that he has broken.

Interesting. So if they had a sexual relationship he has broken the law? I figure the police haven't made any official arrest moves because either they cant just asume the relashipship or something.

I don't see how they could "prove" it though as the girl would clearly just say there was no sexual relationship!
I don't know who's more stupid; the teacher or the girl

Teacher-has thrown his career away, his marriage possibly and has brought embarrassment from another world upon his return to England. I hear he has kids too :facepalm2:

Girl- Yes she's the victim, but come on, any pinch of common sense would tell her running away from her family and going abroad with your teacher is plain wrong. She's 15 and is mature to make rational decisions!

Both of them have lost control over this situation. The girl had no issues at home as far as I'm aware so there was no need to run off :confused:
Reply 83

We can assume that he has begun a sexual relationship with this girl. If not, I can only assume that there will be other areas of the law, in relation to this act, that he has broken.

Abduction
Reply 84
Original post by Hanvyj
Interesting. So if they had a sexual relationship he has broken the law? I figure the police haven't made any official arrest moves because either they cant just asume the relashipship or something.

I don't see how they could "prove" it though as the girl would clearly just say there was no sexual relationship!

Yes, however this may include things other than full penetrative sex. I'm not sure what else it includes, but any exposure of genitals or something like that might be included in their definition (I'm guessing here, I have no training in Law!)

As for the last point, the girl may not deny it. Or if she does, it may be up to a jury to decide if there is enough evidence to suggest they're both lying. Even then if they decide there was no sex, perhaps they would decide that his intentions were to have sex. And it's not looking good from that respect.

Ignoring all of that, the problem is really the breach in responsibility and trust. He, in the position of trust (loco parentis), should not have allowed her, a young person (and most probably, due to her age, 'impressionable') to either persuade him or become persuaded herself. And he certainly shouldn't have taken her out of the country.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 85
Abduction

I'm not sure if it would be abduction, she went willingly and appears to be quite happy about it from the texts she sent to her friends before.

edit: One of the main things I think would be grooming!
(edited 11 years ago)
I think the reason this doesn't sit well with me is because I have been a fifteen year old girl, and you ARE NOT mature enough at fifteen to make those kind of decisions. I always THOUGHT that I was very mature at fifteen, so did my teachers. I was into classic literature, philosophy, politics, loved to debate and hung around with 2nd and 3rd yr students from the local University. I was physically mature, slim but curvy with extremely large boobs (yet at the time not mature enough to figure out why I always got free drinks, in my youthful innocence believed most men were just really really nice). I went to bars, pubs and clubs, believed I handled all the attention from grown adult males really well, and was mature enough to date who I liked.

It's only now I'm older that I see how naive I was in many aspects. I remember (so ashamed to admit this) at the grand old age of 15 giving money to my then 19 year old boyfriend to 'buy blood', as he'd told me he was a vampire and needed it. He was pale and interesting and oh so handsome and rock and roll and I so wanted to believe in the fantasy and fairytale of it all. What an idiot....but at the time I believed I was mature and capable. I also saw most men, regardless of age, as a level playing field - to me age was just a number, I was mature so why shouldn't I have been involved with men in their thirties. It is only now that I realise that there is a HUGE difference in mindset and mentality, experience...you're very vulnerable as a teen. For many teenage girls, as in my case, true love is this huge important ideal and it's only when you get a little older, cynical, bitter and twisted :wink: that you realise life is not like the movies.
I also at fifteen did not really understand the lengths some men will go to in order to sleep with a woman. And that it is quite simple to tell a young and perhaps naive 15 yr old girl exactly what she wants to hear...you don't understand at fifteen that you are a risk of being manipulated.

I can also remember aesthetically challenged yet charismatic teachers at school being the object of many schoolgirls affections. Some of the teachers were grey, balding middle aged social outcasts outside of school, yet their position of authority over impressionable young minds meant that they gathered a lot of admiration. However, IMO as an adult in a professional capacity, you should be aware of this and able to put a stop to any inappropriate relationships.

I really cannot understand what a 30 year old, grown man would want with a fifteen year old CHILD. When I was like 20 I had a 17 year old boy pretty much stalking me and the thought of dating a 17 year old when I was at the grand old age of 20 was disgusting to me. Maybe it's different for women, but I just can't see why anyone would be attracted to someone on such a different level, at such a different point in their life.
everyone listen to this:

listen to the audio, where a listener on LBC (a popular radio station that serves london) shared his story about knowing when his daughter had an affair with a teacher

http://www.lbc.co.uk/listen-my-daughter-had-an-affair-with-a-teacher-60437

I was in tears after listening to this
Reply 88
I'm not sure if it would be abduction, she went willingly and appears to be quite happy about it from the texts she sent to her friends before.

It is abduction for him to take a 15 year old to another country without parental consent. Not that I think she is a poor innocent soul who was dragged against her will, but technically it's abduction.
Reply 89
It is abduction for him to take a 15 year old to another country without parental consent. Not that I think she is a poor innocent soul who was dragged against her will, but technically it's abduction.

Ah, I've just looked it up and I think you're right. It's not looking good for him at all!
Ah, I've just looked it up and I think you're right. It's not looking good for him at all!

IIRC a few years back, the laws have been modified to combat child sex tourism so if you are a UK citizen, the law would apply to you as though you had committed the offence in the UK, so he will be undoubtedly prosecuted once he returns to the UK.

Criminal Justice and Immigration Act 2008, Section 72

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/215165-laws-on-child-sex-abuse-overseas

http://www.justice.gov.uk/downloads/youth-justice/assessment/ukpga_20080004_en.pdf

Good luck getting the French to chase or even extradite him here though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 91
Abduction

How can one be abducted if they follow voluntary?

Please explain....
Reply 92

define grooming......
Reply 93
Legally, she can't consent. Although in all honesty at 15 she has a brain and knows exactly what she is doing! I feel slightly sorry for the teacher seeing as he is the one who will land in a pile of sh*t whilst everyone treats her like a victim!

If they are in france the age of consent is 15

so they wouldn't be breaking any law.....
Original post by AyWill
I genuinely don't understand though why they could not wait a few months until she turned 16!

they would have to wait 1 year though until she left school, assuming she's year 11, not 10!
Reply 95
A European arrest warrant is out for the guy.It's breaking news on Sky right now.

Personally I think it's disgusting that this guy has technically abducted a child,ok I bet she didnt go against her will.But imo she is only 15!.
Reply 96
Original post by dj1015
How can one be abducted if they follow voluntary?

Please explain....
I wondered that, but the law states that if she is under 16 and taken away from her legal guardians, she has been abducted. Right or wrong, that is the law, and the reality is he did take her as she travelled in his car.

Original post by dj1015
define grooming......

The internet is at your disposal. I'll save you the trouble though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_grooming

Note: I did not say he groomed her, but there is the potential and this will certainly be brought up as a possibility in caught.
Reply 97
Original post by dj1015
If they are in france the age of consent is 15

so they wouldn't be breaking any law.....

Child-sex tourism is illegal apparently, so they will be subject to the UK laws as if they had broken them here.

Taking a minor abroad for sex in a country where it would be legal, is very much still illegal.
Reply 98
I wondered that, but the law states that if she is under 16 and taken away from her legal guardians, she has been abducted. Right or wrong, that is the law, and the reality is he did take her as she travelled in his car.

The internet is at your disposal. I'll save you the trouble though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_grooming

Note: I did not say he groomed her, but there is the potential and this will certainly be brought up as a possibility in caught.

It all seems like free will to me....

I will admit that its hardly the most socially acceptable situation. But that's all that's wrong.
Reply 99
Child-sex tourism is illegal apparently, so they will be subject to the UK laws as if they had broken them here.

Taking a minor abroad for sex in a country where it would be legal, is very much still illegal.

If they are subject to the laws of the country that they are in. Which could be France. Then, they have done nothing wrong should they choose to engage in intercourse.

However I am not sure too which law you are referring to? Have you just made this up?

Whats to stop me going to Spain (age of consent is 13) and sleeping with someone of that age?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending