The Student Room Group

Anyone here held a position as a recruitment consultant?

I recently posted my CV up on Monster/Reed etc and keep getting calls regarding employment in recruitment as a consultant, something I have never really considered. I recall reading how exciting the industry is, the prospect of progression and the money that could be earned. However, I have read that people are often fed up after 6 months in these positions and leave. I have read job descriptions and I match the requirements but I'm wondering if anyone here has held employment as recruitment consultants? And what they think of those roles?
Reply 1
You know those people calling you to tell you about the job? Those people are recruitment consultants.

It's not a career I would pick to be honest, but it's certainly an awful lot better then unemployment (and it's experience). Take any salary 'predictions' with a huge pinch of salt, those tend to be commission based and optimistic (to downright unrealistic). Expect to earn the base and treat any bonus as an extra.

I've been told it can be quite a tough industry, lots of poaching and individuals doing whatever it takes to get that extra person signed up, but then I'm sure there are places that are nice to work as a recruitment consultant as well. One tends to hear more about the bad sides of jobs then the good sides.
Reply 2
One of the things to consider is that you will essentially be a sales person - it's up to you to score those interviews, get people signed up etc. it's a very demanding job, being a salesperson. I should know, I am one :biggrin:

That's not to say it isn't for you though. You'll probably learn a bit more about yourself, how well you can think on your feet, etc.

The thing to remember is to always be looking around for other jobs, and to use this as a crutch to advance. Salespeople do burn out eventually and ideally you'll want to get out before it happens to you. Hope this helps.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-N7000
Original post by M1011
You know those people calling you to tell you about the job? Those people are recruitment consultants.

It's not a career I would pick to be honest, but it's certainly an awful lot better then unemployment (and it's experience). Take any salary 'predictions' with a huge pinch of salt, those tend to be commission based and optimistic (to downright unrealistic). Expect to earn the base and treat any bonus as an extra.

I've been told it can be quite a tough industry, lots of poaching and individuals doing whatever it takes to get that extra person signed up, but then I'm sure there are places that are nice to work as a recruitment consultant as well. One tends to hear more about the bad sides of jobs then the good sides.

Gathered that much, just wanted to get an insight from people whom currently/have in the past held this position. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending