The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Everyone wants to finish PhD in the least possible time. You work like nuts and basically have almost no life.
With the additional part-time work, you can be sure to suffer a mental breakdown.

Get a loan, focus, do well and get a good job later on. You will be able to repay your loans in no time. Just my 2 cents.

VivaNepal
OK, I'll admit it--I'm living the delusion that student loans and a bit of savings will get me through 3 years at UCL.

I know..i know. This is nuts.

BUT here's my question--CAN you work say, 10-15 hours a week and do a PhD? Masochistic, fine...but do a lot of people do this? Also, how easy is for an international student to get part-time work in London?

Any thoughts...
Reply 2
It would be easier for EU citizens to get a part-time job in the UK. A couple of my fellow students (all of whom are EU or UK citizens) are doing part-time PhD studies and part-time jobs. Studying full time while working part ime is not easy, but if you can sort out your schedule well, you may be able to go through it.

I'd suggest that you actively seek scholarships: ORS, Grad School Research Scholarships, UCL-US scholarships, etc. Should you fail to get any in your first year, try hard to make your academic performance impressive throughout your first year and re-apply; you'll have a good opportunity to get awarded the following year. Good luck.
Reply 3
I would ecommend you, if you want to work, to do a part-time Phd, so that you can take pressure from yourself. I furthermore highly recommend to try to do the work on one or two days full-time; Working every morning and doing your research in the afternoon does from my experience, not work.

Latest

Trending

Trending