The Student Room Group

does anyone have a vauxhall corsa

i am thinking of this as my first car but i also like the fiat punto, however i want a reliable but small car with low insurance cost.. anyone have any suggestions?
I haven't driven a corsa yet. 18, passed recently and drive and 02 fiat punto 1.2

I've had the car for two months and it's a joy to drive. I wanted something abit more flashy, in your face like, but this will do for a year.
The whole car seems so smooth and comfortable, depending on what out of a car really.

I would say fiat punto's are good on insurance, good on fuel too.
Reply 2
I have a Vauxhall Corsa. He's called Rich :smile: He's silver and has a car bat and union jack wing mirror covers
Reply 3
i had a corsa about two years ago, 2002/3? model. liked it until it randomly stopped not wanting to start sometimes, and sometimes all the electronics in the inside of the car would die, then kick back into life, which was fun on the motorway....

after garage tried a few small things they said the whole elecontrics dash needed replaced for about £2000! ha!

i sold it to a main dealer as part exchange. never buying a vauxhall again!
I just bought a vauxhall corsa 1.4. Let me tell you this, they are rubbish! Never buy a vauxhall lol. I driven a new shape 1.2 too, and they are sooooo slow. Like really slow. They barely move! Avoid. Go for the punto

Im getting rid of mine ASAP, only
Reply 5
I have a 2003 1L Corsa, not going to lie it's pretty dodgy although that's probably down to my poor treatment of it, but unless you want to sit in a junction all day you have to rag it to get any acceleration whatsoever from it.

I never really feel safe in it either, a lot of times it feels like you're driving in a cardboard box. So I can't really recommend it, well the older models at least, even if they are cheap.

..I think I've just convinced myself to sell mine actually.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
I've got a year 2000 1.2 punto and it's okay. My powersteering started failing after a week which turns out to be a common fault (never failed while driving, was always as I turned the engine on and then it would sometimes fix if I turned it off and on again). Also I've got quite a few little knocking sounds while driving if I have more than 2 people in the car. For some reason it can't handle weight very well and makes a terrible noise when pulling away with a heavy load. My exhaust fell off which cost about £150 to replace and I've had other little niggly faults in my 14 months of owning it.

However, I couldn't recommend it enough. If it's a first car that you just want for pottering about in then it's great. Mine is nippy, good acceleration from a still start and it keeps up with regular cars fine considering it's the 1.2 8v model (60 BHP). It handles the motorway fine as I do a fortnightly 90 mile trip to my girlfriends and then another 90 miles back. I've been all over the country in it and it's never missed a beat. I'm looking for something a bit different now as my punto was an impulse buy and it had no gadgets, big black bumpers on a grey car and it's just not big enough for what I need it for now but it really is a brilliant car. I've even looked at upgrading to one of the T-jet Grande Punto's as everything else I've test driven hasn't matched up to how my punto drives.

Hope this helps :smile: (get one with matching colour bumpers! Most annoying thing about my car!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Alur
I have a 2003 1L Corsa, not going to lie it's pretty dodgy although that's probably down to my poor treatment of it, but unless you want to sit in a junction all day you have to rag it to get any acceleration whatsoever from it.

I never really feel safe in it either, a lot of times it feels like you're driving in a cardboard box. So I can't really recommend it, well the older models at least, even if they are cheap.

..I think I've just convinced myself to sell mine actually.

1 litre cars should always be avoided.. 3 cylinders in a car is just tragic. 0-60 in like what, 16-18 seconds? Acceleration that low is borderline dangerous!
Sell it if you can. 1 litre Corsas rarely get up to 90,000 before dying on you. 1.2 ones last a bit longer and are a fair bit faster clocking 0-60 at 12 seconds, but they're still pretty slow.
I have a Corsa. 2005. 1.2 A nice greeny/silvery colour. Called Barry. It's my second car and I've been driving it for 3 and a half years. I really like driving it and I think it's good for a first car. Although now I've been driving for 4 and a half years I'm looking to get a better car in the next year or two. But I'd definitely recommend a Corsa as a first car.
Reply 9
I have a 2000 Corsa. A friend of mine named it Rex "because it's red and it reminds [her] of a puppy". Got it as my first car a couple of years ago. Thinking it's about time to upgrade to a more impressive car now, but for a first car it really has been great. The insurance cost me twice as much than the car itself for the first year though, but that did go right down for the second year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Dont get a corsa. Seriously, there boring and rubbish. Go for something nicer
My corsa is great. It's got 120k on the clock and is still very nippy!
I had one for 7 months, terrible ! It never broke down, but it was the dullest thing I've ever driven. Had a newer shape one for a couple of days and that was worse, I'd feel more connected with the driving experience as a bus passenger ! OK as a first car, but aim to move on ASAP. Don't throw any money at it that would be wiser saved towards a better replacement.

Quick Reply

Latest