The Student Room Group

Should there be child-free zones on planes and trains?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19728508
An airline says it will offer baby-free "quiet zones" on its flights. Should all planes and trains follow suit, or do adults need to learn to live with child passengers?

At 35,000ft, the klaxon-like howl of a distressed toddler screeches through a pressurised cabin.

For travellers already stressed by lengthy security checks, crammed into cramped seating and unnerved by the very fact of being so high above ground, it's almost enough to make them shatter the Plexiglas windows and jump.

And it's a source of anxiety for the embarrassed parents, too, desperately trying to pacify their wailing offspring while facing disapproving stares from fellow adults.

One airline is offering what it says is a solution. Budget carrier Air Asia says from February it will provide a "quiet zone" for passengers aged 12 and over at no extra cost.
Continue reading the main story
2012 child-free travel news
Children at an airport

2012 survey claims a majority of British travellers supported child-free flights
Malaysian Airlines ban children from top deck of A380 aircraft
WestJet announce plan (on 1 April) to pack children in boxes in cargo hold

Separated from the rest of the cabin by toilets and bulkheads, these seven rows of economy class seats should be immune from the sound of infant tantrums, the company claims.

It is following the example of Malaysia Airlines, which in April announced it would limit families with children sitting on the upper deck of its Kuala Lumpur to London service.

For the childless and the easily irritable, it may be a blessed relief.

Equally, many parents will surely be disgruntled at the suggestion they should be segregated from other passengers like second-class citizens.

But others accustomed to getting around with offspring in tow can see the point.

Cathy Winston, 35, who runs the MummyTravels blog about her journeys with her 10-week-old daughter, is planning to fly both of them to the Spanish island of Lanzarote in November.

She is determined that her love of travelling should not be curtailed. But she believes a dedicated family compartment would at least mean she wouldn't have to worry about reproachful looks.
“Start Quote
Cathy Winston

If I knew that all the people around me had chosen to sit there, it would take some of the stress off”

Cathy Winston MummyTravels blog

"I know from before I had my daughter what it's like when you're trying to get some sleep and there's a baby crying," she says.

"If I knew that all the people around me had chosen to sit there, it would take some of the stress off."

Hitherto, the sound of noisy or distressed children was one that all users of mass transit were expected to tolerate.

Typically, UK train operators which provide "quiet coaches" instruct commuters not to use their phones and ensure music devices aren't heard by other passengers - but no mention is made of infant noise pollution.

Certainly, there appears to be support for segregation. In April, a survey of 1,666 British adults by Jetcost.co.uk found that 53% supported child-free flights.

A poll by Tripadvisor in August found that over a third of Britons would be prepared to pay extra to travel by air without the presence of children.

But although airlines could presumably charge a healthy premium for the privilege of no-infant compartments, there might be logistical difficulties.
What about in restaurants?

The continuous wail of two nearby infants, caterwauling at subtly different pitches, can be enough to disrupt the gastronomic experience of even the hardiest of diners.

And a similar level of stress can be suffered by parents with young children, as they garner irked looks from the childless adults two tables away.

But people with young children don't stop wanting to have some sort of social life.

Sensitive parents have a social sword of Damocles hanging over them. Many sit there aghast at the thought that the noise or behaviour of their children is about to spark upset at another table.

Read full Magazine article on this social minefield

In smaller aircraft, with different layouts to those used by Air Asia and Malaysia Airlines, screening off the sound of crying children will not always be practical. Adult-only flights would mean reducing the number of available customers, and thus have a negative impact on profitability.

And perhaps most importantly, introducing segregation would risk infuriating families who resent the idea they should be treated as second-class citizens.

After all, there are no separate schedules or compartments for adults who impinge on the peace and quiet of others by snoring, for instance, or taking off their shoes to unleash malodorous feet.

Arguably, part of the deal when travelling in economy class or on low-cost carriers is that you have to put up with other people's irritating habits in extremely close quarters.

Simon Calder, travel editor of the Independent, has taken his two daughters around the world with him. He believes families who pay for their tickets should not be discriminated against.

"I very, very much think that people need to be tolerant," he says. "People who have a problem with children on flights need to get over it.

"If they don't like it, I have two words for them - ear plugs. We're living in the 21st Century where people have iPods."

Perhaps, while they're listening, they can play a lullaby.

We've all been there... a long flight youre finally about to drift off to sleep and the scream-o-matic 5000 goes off, loud enough to shatter bullet proof glass... its not pleasant but would anyone like to see babies/todlers banned from planes/trains or atleast certain areas of or maybe just a compulsary gag?:rolleyes:
thoughts views etc. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Of course.

It embarrasses everyone involved. The parents because of the stares. The other passengers for being pissed off and then for feeling guilty for giving the parents nasty looks.
Reply 2
Oh god yes! I think it's a brilliant idea. :sogood: The guy who says people need to be "tolerant" and "get over it" is pretty stupid. A crying baby/child can ruin your mood completely, it has to be one of the most unpleasant and annoying sounds ever. Not everyone wants to plug in earphones, they want to relax.
I would pay extra for it.

Ideally, however, if you haven't taught your children basic manners and about how to behave in public, you shouldn't bring them out at all.

Some family of complete ***** were playing snap with their insolent creatures on the train in front of me today. For 50 minutes.

They kept yelling, constantly.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
I adore this suggestion. 12 hours to Beijing with a kid having as screaming fit EVERY ten minutes was enough to convince me that this is an amazing idea. It's also a nightmare being sat on a plane with a kid behind you kicking your seat consistently. Yes, it's fine to say people should be tolerant of kids, but when parents neither have the ability or inclination to control their offspring, it's beyond being even vaguely tolerable. If an adult started screaming, kicking and wailing on a flight, the flight crew would have them removed. The effect on other passengers when it's a child screaming is exactly the same, except we're expected to be fine with it?
I still think that any child under the age of... Say... 1 year shouldn't be allowed to fly except under certain circumstances (emergency or a permanent move.)

It can't be good for their health, their lungs are still forming, their ears sensitive, and planes are germ filled tin cans of air pressure. Dragging a baby on a long haul flight should not be seen as socially acceptable or a right IMO, unless a family member is ill or something, and then a doctors note or something would do. Both for the parent and other people's sanity and the babies health. For older children, this is a good idea. Also, any child running up and down eye aisles etc needs to be dealt with.

Sigh... That's not practical or entirely fair. But then again the last time I went on a long haul flight they randomly searched my baggage but let the oversized, scruffy suitcases of the shifty looking stag party wannabes in front of me go through without question... Since when was flying ever fair? : P

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
I have to agree with Squidgyness. It CANNOT be healthy to take babies on planes. They don't give them a seat til they're two, it'd really make more sense to not let them fly til they can have their own seat. Both for the comfort and safety of the child, the parents who have to have the child on their lap and the passengers around them, for whom this also cannot be a pleasant experience.
Reply 7
Original post by nicola93
I adore this suggestion. 12 hours to Beijing with a kid having as screaming fit EVERY ten minutes was enough to convince me that this is an amazing idea. It's also a nightmare being sat on a plane with a kid behind you kicking your seat consistently. Yes, it's fine to say people should be tolerant of kids, but when parents neither have the ability or inclination to control their offspring, it's beyond being even vaguely tolerable. If an adult started screaming, kicking and wailing on a flight, the flight crew would have them removed. The effect on other passengers when it's a child screaming is exactly the same, except we're expected to be fine with it?

Im suprised they havent make an exemption in the law for this where people on planes get one kick to the seat too many and go postal, really couldnt blaim them to be honest, it brings back horrible memories of a 38hour flight with some baby, who seemed to be under the impression it was being tortured, the urge to kill was high that day :colonhash:
Reply 8
Yes there should!.I have my own kids and have taken them on trains,planes and buses many times.I am glad to say that they have always behaved themselves whilst aboard the previously mentioned modes of transport.Our youngest was only 2 when he flew for the first time, and we didnt get a peep out of him the whole flight.

I'd welcome child free zones everywhere
Reply 9
It doesn't bother me either way as I can never get to sleep on planes regardless of passengers around me, the engine noise and vibrating is to distracting for me to fall asleep to.

The one time I did fall asleep was on a flight to Canada when I was 13/14 and I woke up with my head resting on the shoulder of some random young Canadian women who was sitting next to me who happened to be very hot I turned bright red while she and my parents laughed at me. So I would prefer not to fall asleep on a plane again after that experience so I would prefer to be surrounded by screaming kids from now on:biggrin:
Screaming children annoy me even more because as a child I would NEVER have been than annoying screaming brat in public.
This is ageism. I hope your disgusting Nazi-like judgements are never fulfilled.
It always really annoys me when there are loud kids in the quiet zones on trains, unless the train is totally packed. If there's seating space elsewhere and you know your kids are not great at sitting still and being quiet, you shouldn't sit in the quiet zone. If I'm trying to work or read and there are kids sitting a few seats back chatting and running around, I get really pissed off.

I even feel bad about eating crunchy crisps in a quiet zone, ffs.
Reply 13
Original post by Snagprophet
This is ageism. I hope your disgusting Nazi-like judgements are never fulfilled.

Didn't take long for us to see evidence of Godwin's law in this thread.
I have flown a fair bit on my travels, and what I have noticed is the flights that have the least problem with misbehaving children are the ones where the passengers are mostly not English/Irish or American.

By misbehaving children I mean children of two and up throwing a tantrum, or being allowed to run out of control by their parents.

Crying babies I don't have a problem with and I totally understand it.

I travelled across Russia last year in a train carriage with 53 other people, many of them families with children, and almost without exception, Russians. There was no problem whatsoever on that trip, the children were kept entertained and well behaved by their parents, despite there being not much to do on that long journey other than listen to your mp3s, play cards or stare at trees for hours on end. I can imagine that if it had been an English train with English families it would have been sheer hell.

I have done the same in China with 66 people per carriage, and although the journey times are less, a matter of 24-36 hours or so, and had the same experiences.
(edited 11 years ago)
I think travelling by such means with small children is a bit silly in and of itself, but making others pay for your decision to deal with the problems and complexities of raising a kid is just rude.

fact of the matter children means changes to your lifestyle for some years and you're not always going to like it but you made that decision and must live with it.

You don't take a small child to a pub/bar, you don't take your small child with you when you go play football or whatever.

You find someone to care for your small child or you don't go/participate.

If the flight isn't essential then you shouldn't go, or at least see if Grandma and pa are willing to care after you're young child for a little bit.

I agree children shouldn't be allowed on flights unless they're old enough to have their own seat, or it's an emergency.

Plus it ignores the fact that in other situations you can ultimately chose to leave the area and remove yourself from the irritant, part of the problem with flights and trains is that you are essentially trapped with that screaming child and no means of escape, you're in a stressful situation after the check-in and what-not, trapped and now you have this other stress inducer and no out, it's no wonder some people kick-off on flights whereas in other situations they're cool as a cucumber.
(edited 11 years ago)
Personally I don't think that children under 1 should be allowed to fly anyway, it can't be doing any good for their health and development.

Secondly, I think the problem lies with the parents allowing their children to behave out of control on flights and other modes of transport. Many parents will bring means of entertainment on flights, therefore are quiet. Yes, the odd child will have a paddy, but with well behaved and disiplined children this will not generally be a problem.
Reply 17
I think it's ridiculous....with all due respect to those who find the noise of a crying baby annoying, that is just a part of life, babies cry!
I think as a society we have a really unhealthy attitude towards children, with them often being seen as a nuisance who need to be separated and supressed. I think that parents should control their children in public places, as anybody of any age misbehaving is obviously going to be a nuisance, but at the same time could we not just adopt a healthier and more tolerant attitude towards them?
Look at countries like Spain and Italy where children are treated with much more tolerance, respected as a future generation and in many schools all ages are allowed to mix in the playground right from kindergarten to the final year. They don't have this strange habit of separating everybody into age groups and separating the young from the old.
Reply 18
Original post by abc:)
I think it's ridiculous....with all due respect to those who find the noise of a crying baby annoying, that is just a part of life, babies cry!
I think as a society we have a really unhealthy attitude towards children, with them often being seen as a nuisance who need to be separated and supressed. I think that parents should control their children in public places, as anybody of any age misbehaving is obviously going to be a nuisance, but at the same time could we not just adopt a healthier and more tolerant attitude towards them?
Look at countries like Spain and Italy where children are treated with much more tolerance, respected as a future generation and in many schools all ages are allowed to mix in the playground right from kindergarten to the final year. They don't have this strange habit of separating everybody into age groups and separating the young from the old.

May i ask youas to whether or not you've ever been on a long haul flight with a screaming child behind you? Its enough to drive a man to murder...
Whilsti sympathise that outright banning kids from planes might be a bit extreme, they could at least make itcompulsory to 'dope' the kid beforehand, currently its only a choice :rolleyes:
It's not just children. I was on a train in the quiet carriage. You're meant to keep your noise to a minimum. There was some grown man laughing his head off for the whole journey.:mad: Thankfully, it was only Reading -> oxford; so not massively long; but annoying all the same.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending