The Student Room Group

Bought a car, untaxed, uninsured. Parked on road. No Docs to declare sorn

I recentley bought a car last week, its tax is finishing end of this month. There's no insurance on it yet, and i want to sell the car now. The V5 should be coming next thursday. All i have is the New keepers supplement.

I would declare it as sorn, but cant as the logbook isnt in my name yet. And i dont have no road tax reminder letter or anything like that.

Im thinking of getting the vehicle put on a driveway today or tomorow, and taking the plates out of sight, then when the logbook comes il put it on sorn straight away until it gets sold?

Will that be possible? How much time do i have when the tax expires to get it taxed/sorned? Is it 15 days 'grace' period? cause i dont want to get fined for no tax etc
Reply 1
As far as I know your tax needs to be updated as soon as it expires unless you have already paid for your tax at the end of the month which then you get 5 extra days for the disc to be delivered. Why do you want to sell it so quickly?
Original post by Grimezy
As far as I know your tax needs to be updated as soon as it expires unless you have already paid for your tax at the end of the month which then you get 5 extra days for the disc to be delivered. Why do you want to sell it so quickly?

Im gona get a better car. On the DVLA website it says you have about 15 days to get it taxed/sorned and then they'l do something if you dont. The car is registered to a different area addresss and is parked in a different area, so they wont be able to find it lol.
How can i tax it when i aint insured on it, and i aint got the V5? I dont want to tax, by next weekend the car will be gone.
Reply 3
Got a bit of buyer's remorse?

Personally I'd gamble on not being caught and just wait for the V5...
Reply 4
You can get temp insurance right now so that is not a problem

V5 is going through DVLA so that is not an issue

Put it on driveway facing inwards so tax disc is not visible

When V5 arrives get tax

Make sure price covers tax and the temp insurance you had to pay out for

Job sorted
Reply 5
Original post by ROG.

When V5 arrives get tax

Job sorted

I don't think hiding the tax disc works seeing as the police are fitted with ANPR that pick up the licence plate and whether it is taxed or not.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ROG.

When V5 arrives get tax

Job sorted

Nah bro, i dont wanna get insured on it, or get it taxed. Im gonna sell it off as how it is. I dont loose any money. I bought the car for cheap. Now im just gonna get a more better car to get insured on instead. The road tax expires on 30th of this month. Which is sunday. The logbook is due on wednesday/thursday. Once that comes, il put it on sorn until the car is sold. So once the tax expires, i cant keep the car on road right? Il have to park it off road and take plates off and but them inside car for a few days til sorned?

I was just worried about once the tax expires and you dont renew thats automatically a fine through the post lol.
Original post by PataynaRolaay
Im gona get a better car. On the DVLA website it says you have about 15 days to get it taxed/sorned and then they'l do something if you dont. The car is registered to a different area addresss and is parked in a different area, so they wont be able to find it lol.
How can i tax it when i aint insured on it, and i aint got the V5? I dont want to tax, by next weekend the car will be gone.

You can it with insurance/MOT and the new keepers bit of the old V5C. You might be able to SORN it with the new keepers bit as well - never tried
Original post by rmhumphries
You can it with insurance/MOT and the new keepers bit of the old V5C. You might be able to SORN it with the new keepers bit as well - never tried

Dunno man, meanwhile im just gonna park the car behind this shop (private area) just round the corner from where i live. Gonna leave it there hidden until V5 comes and its sold. Soon as the V5 comes, im gonna get it sorn's ASAP. Then get rid of it. And then buy another car lol.
Original post by LucoTF
Got a bit of buyer's remorse?

Personally I'd gamble on not being caught and just wait for the V5...

Yeah lol, feel like i could do with a much better, reliable, and decent lookin car than the one i just bought in a rush. Im just gonna park it behind a shop private car park (owners a family friend), as its hidden from any roads so police cant scan it etc until the V5 comes and it gets Sorn'd, then Sold.
Reply 10
Can't sell a car without a log book can you!
Reply 11
It'll be fine, every year I forget to sorn my bike until near enough the end of the month after the tax runs out. They usually send a 'Last Chance' reminder out after about 3 weeks. (Always the same, do I tax it again or not... is there any point? Then I SORN it and the sun comes out.)

Just wait for the V5.

That said, if you go to the post office with the new keeper supplement you should be able to SORN it with that, I think. I know you can tax it with the new keeper supplement if you have an MOT / insurance.
Original post by JC.
Can't sell a car without a log book can you!

Thats what im sayin, logbooks coming on thursday. Il put the internet ad up now, so when the auction ends, the logbook will already be here in time for the collection of the car.
Original post by Rufusw5
It'll be fine, every year I forget to sorn my bike until near enough the end of the month after the tax runs out. They usually send a 'Last Chance' reminder out after about 3 weeks. (Always the same, do I tax it again or not... is there any point? Then I SORN it and the sun comes out.)

Just wait for the V5.

That said, if you go to the post office with the new keeper supplement you should be able to SORN it with that, I think. I know you can tax it with the new keeper supplement if you have an MOT / insurance.

Thanks man, that helped. Tax runs out sunday night. Logbooks comin on thursday, what shall i do with the car until then? keep it on the road, and take plates off?

My car aint got any insurance, i took the plates off and put em on the inside of the windows, police drove past, never done nothin. Shal i leave the car parked on road for 4 days til its sorn?
Reply 14
How did you get the car to your address without insurance?

You're already committing an offence by being the registered keeper of an uninsured vehicle.

If you don't have the V5C yet, you must apply for SORN by post by using this form.
Original post by Advisor
How did you get the car to your address without insurance?

You're already committing an offence by being the registered keeper of an uninsured vehicle.

If you don't have the V5C yet, you must apply for SORN by post by using this form.

Calm down. Dont worry about how i got the car home. I contacted the DVLA. Heres what they said.

I do not need to SORN it for a few reasons:
1) A SORN takes 4 weeks to process - By the time they process it the car will be already have been sold.
2) After a few weeks you get a warning letter saying insure/tax it in 4 weeks or get a fine.
3) At this current time I cannot perform a SORN anyway as I the previous owner must send off the V5 and the records must be changed. So even if I should SORN it, I can't yet anyway.

So im not gonna do anything really, apart from get the car off the road. When the V5 comes on thursday, the car will be sold on the weekend. Whats the point of doing it in the post, by the time it gets to DVLA the car wont be mine, and it takes 4 weeks to process the SORN.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending