The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster Award

Hi everyone. I'm really interested in doing the Lancaster Award in my second year, should have started it in my first but never got round to it.

Was just wondering what other people's experiences were? I've looked on the website & I know I have to get skills by doing loads of activities, experience, voulenteering etc.

How long did it take you to get your award? What sort of things did you do to fill your skill bank?

Thanks for any replies guys!
Reply 1
Hi there!

I'm just waiting for my final interview for the award, but I've done all the paperwork so hopefully I can help.

Firstly, I started mine in second year too and I'm just starting third year now so I would say a year to get everything done is reasonable. You could do it quicker if you were desperate but as you're not in your final year it doesn't seem worth compromising the quality of your activities to save time.

In terms of the activities I did, I'm on the Pendle JCR, I was a fresher rep last year, I volunteer at a primary school, I worked in retail over Christmas & an internship over summer, I was a fundraiser during Charity Week and RAG Week, I host a radio show and obviously I completed the CEEC insight course and workshops that are compulsory.

It sounds like quite a lot of things and it certainly does require some commitment but it's not too difficult once you get into the mindset of getting actively involved. I was told when I applied that my examples were 'particularly strong' so I imagine you could get away with doing a little less.

Hope that helps :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest