The Student Room Group

Only got a microwave in uni halls - please help!

In my halls of residence I get my evening meal from the canteen included in the price of accomodation. However this means the kitchens have limited facilities and only contain a fridge and a microwave (and sink/cupboards etc).

I really enjoy cooking my own food and eating healthily. What kinds of cheap and easy things can I prepare myself for breakfast and lunch with only a microwave and a fridge? Any and all tips are welcome, thankyou in advance.
Reply 1
Scrambled eggs. Chicken with rice. Jacket potatos with tuna !
Reply 2
Porridge for breakfast and add in some chopped with fruit. Healthy and quite cheap too and so easy with a microwave. You can always buy some really good pre-prepared soup to microwave - add in some frozen vegetables for an extra health kick.
Reply 3
Do you not get breakfast? That's a bit crap if they only give you one meal a day and expect you to not cook at all the rest of the time. When I was in catered halls we got two meals a day and so used to eat my own weight in food for breakfast, skip lunch then do the same at tea.

Maybe get a little portable mini hob? I like to eat healthily too but I can't think of much you could do with just a microwave...
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/russell-hobbs-15199-mini-electric-hob-stainless-steel-06238637-pdt.html
go on gumtree and try pick up a cheap electric stove thingy. also a panini press is invaluable to me at uni, use it far more often than anything else
Reply 5
Why dont you buy a hot plate or the like on ebay ?
Reply 6
Go to gooutdoors camping shop, you can get a good gas hob for £5. And its not one of those tripod ones that always fall over, its a proper little thingy.

Or disposable BBQ?
Reply 7
I bought a george forman grill and a microwaveable saucepan and managed to self cater for the whole of last year with just a microwave. I made pasta by putting it in a large pyrex bowl, covering it with water and microwaving for 10-15 minutes. I also ate lots of cous cous and microwaveable rice. Baked potato is also really easy - just microwave for apx 10 minutes.

I also used to have cold meals like salads or quiche and when I was busy with exams, I bought ready meals as most can be cooked in a microwave. There's loads of things you can make so don't worry!
Reply 8
I was catered and got 19 meals per week.

3x Mon-Fri and 2x Sat/Sun

Even then we had cookers to enable us to cook outside those hours. Wish we'd had a microwave too through.
Original post by RhiannaB
In my halls of residence I get my evening meal from the canteen included in the price of accomodation. However this means the kitchens have limited facilities and only contain a fridge and a microwave (and sink/cupboards etc).

I really enjoy cooking my own food and eating healthily. What kinds of cheap and easy things can I prepare myself for breakfast and lunch with only a microwave and a fridge? Any and all tips are welcome, thankyou in advance.

Get a slow cooker - unbelievably good - smells are all sealed in and there is no hob involved - seriously - my 3 have all got them
Argos does a slow cooker for £11.99 . http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4228709/Trail/searchtext%3ESLOW+COOKER.htm
Recipes: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipes/slow-cooker-recipes.aspx

You can cook just about anything in a slow cooker, and 99% of the time always tastes better as everything is more tender and favourful.
Reply 11
A slow cooker deffo, chuck everything in before lectures, it'll be ready by the time you get home!!
A sandwich toaster is a good idea too, tasty and quick :smile:

I can't believe you don't have adequate facilities. You really should complain, they can't just provide you with 1 meal a day and expect you to live on microwave meals or sandwiches. I used to be in catered halls and we had the same facilities as self catered folk, though admittedly we weren't fed at weekends!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPad App
Reply 12
Original post by harreeeee
Go to gooutdoors camping shop, you can get a good gas hob for £5. And its not one of those tripod ones that always fall over, its a proper little thingy.

Or disposable BBQ?

You need a Go Outdoors card to get their cheap prices, they cost a fiver. And then you also need to buy the gas cartridges as well.
Original post by KCLeblanc
You need a Go Outdoors card to get their cheap prices, they cost a fiver. And then you also need to buy the gas cartridges as well.

yah. better than a microwave though!
Reply 14
Original post by harreeeee
yah. better than a microwave though!

True, but I don't think the uni would be impressed if they caught someone using one indoors.

How about one of the george foreman grill thingies?
Buy some dried bay leaves and a salmon steak.
Boil some water, then put both in. Leave a lid on and wait for 10 minutes. Even without being on the heat, it'll poach the salmon beautifully.

Simples
*meerkat squeak*

Quick Reply

Latest