The Student Room Group

An international needs advice on uk postgrad

This post is interesting.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Hey guys! I have a quick question, hopefully someone can help me! What would be the best prep books for the new format GRE? Thank you!
Reply 2
I have similar problems, thank any answers as well!
Reply 3
Original post by Lytoomuch
Briefly,

I am from china.
Doing a English Language degree in U of Manchester. Mostly linguistics stuff.
Transferred to manchester through 2+2 program last year, so I only have second year grades(average78.5) plus what I had in china for two years(fairly strong but from average uni).
Originally planned to go for US but change of plan, which is why I had gre score(math170, verbal167, writing5.5) and toefl (118, lost two points in writing )

Questions:
A. I am Shooting for Oxbridge or ucl linguistics program. Any chance?
B. would a fully self-funded taught program be easier to get into?
C. Gre score any help? The program detail page does not ask for gre.
D. Do I need to actually mail anything to them during the application or is it all online?
E. finally,references. I have never realized how vital they are until I read threads on tsr. I have virtually no interaction with my lecturers. I have asked two lecturers whose modules I have done particularly well for references and they consented. But would they just give neutral comments because they hardly know me? I am going to meet them Monday so any suggestions or briefing on how referencing works are appreciated!

Deeply obliged for any relies! Been panicky for postgrad app for a while now. Thank you again.

I'm an international student, just finished my MA in England and getting ready to start PhD study in Scotland. I don't know anything specifically about linguistics, but I know a little about application things.

A. Both of those schools generally have competitive admissions, but if your grades are strong then you probably have a good chance. You never know if you don't try. :smile:

B. Yes, self-funded taught programs are a lot easier to get into. It's still worth looking into funded courses, but the odds are crazy competitive.

C. I don't think GRE scores hold much weight for UK schools. I've only seen a few postgraduate courses asking for GRE or other US testing qualifications and most of them were business. I don't think the GRE would hurt your applications, but I don't think it will help either. They'll probably care more about your TOEFL score.

D. Depends on the school, most these days will take almost everything online. Sometimes transcripts are an issue and they may ask for an official copy sent directly from the school of issue.

E. I had the same problem so I feel your pain! If your lecturers are open to it, you can give them a copy of your resume, a breakdown of notable achievements in your life, or a list of qualities you value about yourself (I.E. you're self motivated, fast learner, etc...). It gives them something to work from since most tutors don't know/remember everything about their students.

Good luck! :thumbsup:
Reply 4
Original post by curlybits
I'm an international student, just finished my MA in England and getting ready to start PhD study in Scotland. I don't know anything specifically about linguistics, but I know a little about application things.

A. Both of those schools generally have competitive admissions, but if your grades are strong then you probably have a good chance. You never know if you don't try. :smile:

B. Yes, self-funded taught programs are a lot easier to get into. It's still worth looking into funded courses, but the odds are crazy competitive.

C. I don't think GRE scores hold much weight for UK schools. I've only seen a few postgraduate courses asking for GRE or other US testing qualifications and most of them were business. I don't think the GRE would hurt your applications, but I don't think it will help either. They'll probably care more about your TOEFL score.

D. Depends on the school, most these days will take almost everything online. Sometimes transcripts are an issue and they may ask for an official copy sent directly from the school of issue.

E. I had the same problem so I feel your pain! If your lecturers are open to it, you can give them a copy of your resume, a breakdown of notable achievements in your life, or a list of qualities you value about yourself (I.E. you're self motivated, fast learner, etc...). It gives them something to work from since most tutors don't know/remember everything about their students.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Can I just say thank you so much for the answer? Great reassurance. All the best in your phD!:smile:
Reply 5
Think your chances are low
Reply 6
Any reason?

No chance for Oxbridge, maybe for UCL, but note it is a large gap between them and OxB.
Reply 7
Original post by Zenomorph
No chance for Oxbridge, maybe for UCL, but note it is a large gap between them and OxB.

Which part do you think is fatal?
Reply 8
Which part do you think is fatal?

huh?
Reply 9
huh?

I guess he(she)'s asking which part of his/her application fails him/her on Oxbridge.:smile:
Reply 10
Err, are you sure this is not a Troll question?

You do know that Oxbridge is the premier institution in this country and the world by a long long shot, so how much of a chance do you think a 2.2 / 2.1 from Manchester (assuming this, as he has been silent on his grade so far ) will have against all the other 1st classes from top places all around the world ?

Bit of a dumb question now isn't it?

As far as UCL goes, if you have a 2.1 then maybe but don't be disappointed if the course does not live up to expectations because like many other UK unis, most of their masters are specially made for people like you - international china students.

I'm not sure how you would feel if you sat in a room with 95% China students, I would feel a bit wierd if I came 6000 miles just to sit with my countrymen, I could do that w/o spensing £ 000's .
Err, are you sure this is not a Troll question?

You do know that Oxbridge is the premier institution in this country and the world by a long long shot, so how much of a chance do you think a 2.2 / 2.1 from Manchester (assuming this, as he has been silent on his grade so far ) will have against all the other 1st classes from top places all around the world ?

Bit of a dumb question now isn't it?

As far as UCL goes, if you have a 2.1 then maybe but don't be disappointed if the course does not live up to expectations because like many other UK unis, most of their masters are specially made for people like you - international china students.

I'm not sure how you would feel if you sat in a room with 95% China students, I would feel a bit wierd if I came 6000 miles just to sit with my countrymen, I could do that w/o spensing £ 000's .

Hi, Zenomorph, sorry for the misunderstanding. It was not meant as a troll question at all. I was curious why you had so resolutely negated my chance. Turned out I have put too much info out that you missed my grades.. sorry.. I did mention that I have a average of 78 from Manchester. So not a 2:1 or 2:2 at all. Can you reevaluate my chances based on this?

I am honestly not being a cash-cow here. Otherwise I won't be doing a degree in linguistics. I am hoping for a good platform in preparation for a good doctoral in the States after MA.

I know it looks terribly like mocking but it really isn't.. I am just really don't know whether I am good enough for OxBridge. Thx Zenomorph for bearing with me so far..
Reply 12
Hi, Zenomorph, sorry for the misunderstanding. It was not meant as a troll question at all. I was curious why you had so resolutely negated my chance. Turned out I have put too much info out that you missed my grades.. sorry.. I did mention that I have a average of 78 from Manchester. So not a 2:1 or 2:2 at all. Can you reevaluate my chances based on this?

I am honestly not being a cash-cow here. Otherwise I won't be doing a degree in linguistics. I am hoping for a good platform in preparation for a good doctoral in the States after MA.

I know it looks terribly like mocking but it really isn't.. I am just really don't know whether I am good enough for OxBridge. Thx Zenomorph for bearing with me so far..

Sounds like you are looking for confirmation of your own opinions; but sorry I don't agree. Don't think you will make Oxbridge, but no harm trying I guess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending