The Student Room Group

Anthropology 2013 applicants

Hi everyone,

I cant find one of these threads for anthropology so...

Wheres everyone applying?
What are your as grades and a2 predictions?
What subjects do you take?
Biological or social or both?

Scroll to see replies

anyone?
Reply 2
hi!
i'm planning on applying for anthropology this year at either Manchester, Oxford Brookes, Roehampton, and perhaps Exeter or Birmingham, i'm not sure yet.
my AS grades were: ABCCD
my A2 predictions: ABCC
i'm taking Sociology, History and English Literature with EPQ as well.
i'm looking to do social anthropology but if i had to do both i wouldn't mind.

good to know i'm not the only person on here applying for anthropology this year, there are always so few in comparison to other subjects :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi
There seems to be hardly anyone taking anthropology, there must be more people taking it!

My as's were aabc
Applying to Durham, Manchester, LSE, St Andrews and Exeter
Predicted AAA
I love Durham and like the look of Manchester going to look round at the weekend! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by notgettingin2uni
Hi
There seems to be hardly anyone taking anthropology, there must be more people taking it!

My as's were aabc
Applying to Durham, Manchester, LSE, St Andrews and Exeter
Predicted AAA
I love Durham and like the look of Manchester going to look round at the weekend! :smile:

*raises hand*
Applying for Anthropology this year :smile:
I'm in a bit of a unique situation, I left school this July but due to illness, didn't take all of my exams. So I'm reapplying this year. I actually applied for Medicine last year, but became thoroughly disillusioned by the whole sorry mess and the 5 years X £9000 thing.
I've heard good things about Durham but I'm not sure I want to spend 3/4 years living in the North East seeing as it's quite a distance from home (Living in the South West).
And me being the stubborn pessimist I am, because of the fee policy from Scottish universities, I'm not applying there at all this year :tongue: Ha, I'm so pathetic.
Anywho, I'm taking Biology, Philosophy & Ethics and Anthropology for A2. Chemistry at AS. I've yet to get my predictions as I'm an external candidate applying through my 6th Form ... yeah, don't ask :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
That is a unique situation :smile: where are you thinking of applying?

Its nice to know there are some people actually applying, i don't think there is anyone else applying from my school!
Reply 6
I'm applying to Birmingham and Manchester for politics and anthropology whilst the rest of my choices are politics and int. relations. I prefer social to biological. Haven't got my predicted grades but they should be ABB/AAB :smile:
Reply 7
ME TOO :biggrin:

I'm applying to Durham, Exeter, Sussex, Kent and Manchester
My subjects are Maths, History and Psychology with AS Further Maths over the 2 years. I've just dropped art as well. It's a bit of a weird combination, I know
My Grades were AACC and I'm predicted AAB
All my unis are social apart from Durham which is both and that's my FAVOURITE!!
Is anyone else applying to a both or biological course without biology A-Level or equivalent? And does anyone else hate that awkward question of when people ask you what you're going to study at uni and then give you a blank look when you say anthropology..
Reply 8
Original post by abi95
ME TOO :biggrin:

I'm applying to Durham, Exeter, Sussex, Kent and Manchester
My subjects are Maths, History and Psychology with AS Further Maths over the 2 years. I've just dropped art as well. It's a bit of a weird combination, I know
My Grades were AACC and I'm predicted AAB
All my unis are social apart from Durham which is both and that's my FAVOURITE!!
Is anyone else applying to a both or biological course without biology A-Level or equivalent? And does anyone else hate that awkward question of when people ask you what you're going to study at uni and then give you a blank look when you say anthropology..

The good thing about that blank stare is that you can get away with telling people any old bullsh*t :biggrin: I think I once said it was the study of the colonisation habits of ants, arachnids and other creepy crawlies ... and they believed me!
Still a bit befuddled over where to apply. A word of warning about Durham though, although I'm sure you already know this - The BSc course for Durham has a lower entrance requirement because it's at a new, slightly scuzzier campus (not the old, green and leafy campus) so be aware when you're putting the course in on UCAS.
Reply 9
Original post by Flowerii
The good thing about that blank stare is that you can get away with telling people any old bullsh*t :biggrin: I think I once said it was the study of the colonisation habits of ants, arachnids and other creepy crawlies ... and they believed me!
Still a bit befuddled over where to apply. A word of warning about Durham though, although I'm sure you already know this - The BSc course for Durham has a lower entrance requirement because it's at a new, slightly scuzzier campus (not the old, green and leafy campus) so be aware when you're putting the course in on UCAS.

ahaha I normally just say the study of culture and humans and then run :smile:
yep I know, thanks anyway though. I'm applying for the BA at the Durham City campus. I choose mine by process of elimination - I got all the unis that do anthropology, crossed off the ones in London, Scotland and Ireland and there weren't many left :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by abi95
ahaha I normally just say the study of culture and humans and then run :smile:
yep I know, thanks anyway though. I'm applying for the BA at the Durham City campus. I choose mine by process of elimination - I got all the unis that do anthropology, crossed off the ones in London, Scotland and Ireland and there weren't many left :smile:

Are you going for 4 unis then instead of 5? Because from what I've heard, Bournmouth is pretty decent for Social and combo. Aha, not a fan of London, then? :smile: There's only Queen's in Ireland, right? I'm still torn over whether to go there or not, it's a fair way to travel..
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Are you going for 4 unis then instead of 5? Because from what I've heard, Bournmouth is pretty decent for Social and combo. Aha, not a fan of London, then? :smile: There's only Queen's in Ireland, right? I'm still torn over whether to go there or not, it's a fair way to travel..

No, I'm going for 5 - Durham, Exeter, Sussex, Kent and Manchester
I live just outside London and they just don't appeal
Where are you applying?
Reply 12
Original post by abi95
No, I'm going for 5 - Durham, Exeter, Sussex, Kent and Manchester
I live just outside London and they just don't appeal
Where are you applying?

Seems as though I've lost the ability to count properly, that'll hold me in good stead :s-smilie:
UCL and Southampton, definitely. Queen' Belfast maybe. Debating about LSE, and still wondering about the other one.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Woke up this morning and started freaking out about what are considered 'good' GCSE grades. Because at the moment, I'm having a serious crisis of confidence. Does anyone mind sharing? I'm starting to think I'm being a bit over-confident about the uni's I'm applying for -
PE - A*
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A
Physics - A
English Lang. - A
English Lit - B
French - B
Maths - B
Geology - B
Hi!
I'm applying to go to Roehampton, Goldsmiths (for two courses, I think), Manchester, and Oxford Brookes. :smile:
I currently study English Lit, Biology, and Psychology.
I'm predicted AAB, but I think ABB is more likely at the moment as I got BBB in my AS results aha.
Some courses I'm applying for are a mix of biological and social, while the rest are purely social anthropology. I don't mind either way, all the courses seem pretty amazing, as do the uni's. :smile: I'm unable to look around Manchester though, has anyone looked around there? What's it like? :smile:
I'm applying for Bristol (arch and anth), Manchester, Durham, St Andrews and Oxford Brooks for insurance. I got ABB at AS and am predicted AAB, so Durham is a bit of a long shot. Bristol would be my happiest and most realistic option but I can't find ANYONE on tsr that studies arch and anth there!
I really hope that they won't be looking at GCSEs because I didn't do so great. A couple of A*s, couple of As, the rest Bs, then two Cs in double award science (which wont bode so well).
Anyone else applying for Bristol?
:smile:
Reply 16
Original post by chrisjhdavies
Hi!
I'm applying to go to Roehampton, Goldsmiths (for two courses, I think), Manchester, and Oxford Brookes. :smile:
I currently study English Lit, Biology, and Psychology.
I'm predicted AAB, but I think ABB is more likely at the moment as I got BBB in my AS results aha.
Some courses I'm applying for are a mix of biological and social, while the rest are purely social anthropology. I don't mind either way, all the courses seem pretty amazing, as do the uni's. :smile: I'm unable to look around Manchester though, has anyone looked around there? What's it like? :smile:

i'm applying to southampton, exeter, sussex, manchester and aberdeen :smile: currently study english lit, french, and drama. predicted AAB but i'll have to work my ass off to get an A in french..

social anth is my main interest, although i think southampton has more of a mix of the two.

quoted this because i looked round manchester and it's awesome! it actually doesn't feel too big - most of the buildings are all on the oxford road or close by, and the accomodation looked nice. the SU was cool and the social sciences building is all new and shiny :biggrin:
Reply 17
oh and also, what kind of thing did people put on their personal statements? i'm the only person who's applied for anth from my school in like 7 years, so i haven't had much guidance :/
Reply 18
Original post by canthaveit
i'm applying to southampton, exeter, sussex, manchester and aberdeen :smile: currently study english lit, french, and drama. predicted AAB but i'll have to work my ass off to get an A in french..

social anth is my main interest, although i think southampton has more of a mix of the two.

quoted this because i looked round manchester and it's awesome! it actually doesn't feel too big - most of the buildings are all on the oxford road or close by, and the accomodation looked nice. the SU was cool and the social sciences building is all new and shiny :biggrin:

I'm going for Soton too :smile: The uni looks really nice, although I was wondering about Manchester. I'm not a fan of the city but I haven't actually seen the university, so I might do a little more research on it.
Reply 19
I'm going for Soton too :smile: The uni looks really nice, although I was wondering about Manchester. I'm not a fan of the city but I haven't actually seen the university, so I might do a little more research on it.

it's a pretty cool university, but i'm a bit worried that the student satisfaction is quite low :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending