The Student Room Group

scholarship statement?

My scholarship statement asks for a 100-word "Why I deserve this scholarship" essay. I googled sample essays to help decide what to include in it but now I'm even more confused. Can you please advise on whether I should include 'personal and intellectual' achievements which portray how I stand out from the crowd (and hence eligible for the scholarship) or should I highlight financial hardships and how I would not be able to pursue higher education without this scholarship.

Reply 1
Original post by coolguysfwn
My scholarship statement asks for a 100-word "Why I deserve this scholarship" essay. I googled sample essays to help decide what to include in it but now I'm even more confused. Can you please advise on whether I should include 'personal and intellectual' achievements which portray how I stand out from the crowd (and hence eligible for the scholarship) or should I highlight financial hardships and how I would not be able to pursue higher education without this scholarship.

No doubt this won't be the clear-cut distinction you were after, but it's likely that linking the two will be best.

Talk about your enthusiasm for your subject, your drive to read it at a leading university, how genuine hardship has prevented you from pursuing this and how the scholarship would enable you to.

It is key for scholarship providers be be able to make a convincing case that they have, through their generosity, allowed an intelligent person to succeed where they otherwise would have failed due to circumstances beyond their control.

Word your statement to suit their aims.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending