Oxford MLAT Test Preparation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
From what I gather what you said was fine :smile:

Ahh ok then, good-oh, thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 41
It's a bit difficult to judge what a good score constitutes seeing as pre-2012 entry the tests were done by college and the marks never officially released. (Not sure if Cambridge assessment release them now?)

However, looking at past papers I would say that quite a few of the things they test are points that people continued to make mistakes on in first year and they obviously still got in!

Ah ok, well we do get our results in a couple of weeks, but the 60% was just something I think I heard someone say, I suppose it obviously depends on the competition each year :smile:
Original post by hebenc
Ah ok, well we do get our results in a couple of weeks, but the 60% was just something I think I heard someone say, I suppose it obviously depends on the competition each year :smile:

Oh that's quite nice that they give you your results officially. I only found out my mark through my tutor when I started at Oxford. It's all a bit strange now because I never got the impression that the LAT was that important when I did it, but now that it's pre-interview I'm guessing they're using it as a way of cutting down on how many people they invite to Oxford in December.
Reply 43
Oh that's quite nice that they give you your results officially. I only found out my mark through my tutor when I started at Oxford. It's all a bit strange now because I never got the impression that the LAT was that important when I did it, but now that it's pre-interview I'm guessing they're using it as a way of cutting down on how many people they invite to Oxford in December.

Yes apparently it's one of all the criteria as to whether we get interviews :biggrin: so if you hadn't got in, would you still have been able to find out by emailing them or something? ahh, nervous! :biggrin:
Reply 44
Original post by JonnyTic
I thought German was relatively easy (relative to what I expected). Just a few words I didn't know how to translate. Like Saucepan.

Yup, I thought a lot of the more tricky grammar points didn't actually come up so started worrying whether I overlooked them!! I revised all the cutleries that morning as well but did not look at saucepan.. How did you find the Rettungschirm sentence? Mx
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by Marcus0210
Yup, I thought a lot of the more tricky grammar points didn't actually come up so started worrying whether I overlooked them!! I revised all the cutleries that morning as well but did not look at saucepan.. How did you find the Rettungschirm sentence? Mx

Yeah I think I guessed at dem Saucepan haha (it was in dative if I remember correctly?). I thought the Rettungschirm sentence was okay but the english seemed a bit clumsy and I mistranslated Rettungschirm. It was one of those words I recognised from newspapers but couldn't find anywhere in my head :angry:
Original post by hebenc
Yes apparently it's one of all the criteria as to whether we get interviews :biggrin: so if you hadn't got in, would you still have been able to find out by emailing them or something? ahh, nervous! :biggrin:

I suppose you could have emailed. It would probably have figured somewhere in the general feedback you can request if you get rejected.

Don't worry you've done all you can for the moment! Hope it all goes well for you :smile:
Reply 47
I suppose you could have emailed. It would probably have figured somewhere in the general feedback you can request if you get rejected.

Don't worry you've done all you can for the moment! Hope it all goes well for you :smile:

I know, that's what I keep telling myself, I've got to see what happens now! Thank you so much for all your help though! :biggrin:
Looking through the thread, now realising how many mistakes I've made on the French one (I thought sur-le-champ meant 'for a short time', and saying 'la plus cadette'). :confused:
Reply 49
Original post by JonnyTic
Yeah I think I guessed at dem Saucepan haha (it was in dative if I remember correctly?). I thought the Rettungschirm sentence was okay but the english seemed a bit clumsy and I mistranslated Rettungschirm. It was one of those words I recognised from newspapers but couldn't find anywhere in my head :angry:

Same as well! I think I made a guess at Spritzpan but that wasn't a word... I think I put dative as well because it was stationary. Hehe.. Shamefully, despite doing my oral presentation on it, I couldn't find the word in my head either :colondollar: Are you sole German? x
Reply 50
Original post by Marcus0210
Same as well! I think I made a guess at Spritzpan but that wasn't a word... I think I put dative as well because it was stationary. Hehe.. Shamefully, despite doing my oral presentation on it, I couldn't find the word in my head either :colondollar: Are you sole German? x

Yeah :smile: details in my signature
JonnyTic
x

Marcus0210
x

Woo - German Sole! :biggrin:

I'm in my first year of German sole at Oxford, so if you have any questions feel free to ask me :smile:

Which colleges did you apply to?
Reply 52
Original post by tubeboy1994
Looking through the thread, now realising how many mistakes I've made on the French one (I thought sur-le-champ meant 'for a short time', and saying 'la plus cadette'). :confused:

Well "for a short time" is more similar to "immediately" than "upstairs", so don't worry too much :wink:
Reply 53
Original post by hebenc
Also ran out of time because the front of the paper said my invigilators would tell us when we got to half an hour, and they didn't and I just carried on with the first section waiting for them to say. It was my fault for not checking the time but I was a bit frustrated :/

The same thing happened to me with French and the language aptitude test. Totally lost it during the language aptitude one, panicked and ended up just writing down the words I recognised instead of actually trying to translate towards the end. I've never panicked during a test before, but this has been a well and truly awful week...

French I didn't find too bad, I was worried about the pure grammar bits--never been my strong point--and they ended up being the easiest bit!

Greatest irritation is first translating "le long de" as along, and then changing it to "long walks" instead. It came up the next day in a piece of classwork.
Reply 54
Original post by Sopih
The same thing happened to me with French and the language aptitude test. Totally lost it during the language aptitude one, panicked and ended up just writing down the words I recognised instead of actually trying to translate towards the end. I've never panicked during a test before, but this has been a well and truly awful week...

French I didn't find too bad, I was worried about the pure grammar bits--never been my strong point--and they ended up being the easiest bit!

Greatest irritation is first translating "le long de" as along, and then changing it to "long walks" instead. It came up the next day in a piece of classwork.

Ahh how annoying!
I did a similar thing with the same sentence, for the bit that said "take a walk", which I had a feeling was "faire un promenade", but I didn't trust myself so I put "prendre un promenade", and I changed it like twice! Frustrating :/ what did you put for sur-le-champ, out of interest?
Reply 55
Original post by hebenc
Ahh how annoying!
I did a similar thing with the same sentence, for the bit that said "take a walk", which I had a feeling was "faire un promenade", but I didn't trust myself so I put "prendre un promenade", and I changed it like twice! Frustrating :/ what did you put for sur-le-champ, out of interest?

I honestly can't remember. I know I put a little (?) next to it, which is a standard thing I do when I have no clue but guess anyway. I might have put "immediately"? It seemed to fit in the sentence.
Reply 56
Original post by Sopih
I honestly can't remember. I know I put a little (?) next to it, which is a standard thing I do when I have no clue but guess anyway. I might have put "immediately"? It seemed to fit in the sentence.

Well I'm pretty sure "immediately" is right, so that's good if you put that :biggrin:. I went for "upstairs" :s-smilie: do you know how we find out? Do we get an email or is it through our schools or what? Very nervous!
I was talking to my tutor at dinner and he said he'd just been marking this year's batch of tests :smile:

It turns out that for French at least the tests are still marked by the tutor at the college you applied for. Apparently the main motive for moving it before the interview was not necessarily deselect more candidates pre-interview (though that might still be a consequence) but to free up the Tuesday morning for tutors during the really busy interview period.
Reply 58
Did he say anything about how decent/dreadful they were?

I'm not sure that I actually want to learn what I got in my test D: I read somewhere that it can be as close as a week before the interview date that they send you an email, I hope it doesn't get that close or I'll be bouncing off the walls. Not that it will probably be a confirmation, with how the second half of that test went...
Reply 59
[hi this year i am going to graduate and my research or memoir is about modern language aptitude test mlat so i am studying english as a second language or foreign language and i need help in this topic please it4s my e mail [mod edit]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending