The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is Alcoholism a Lifestyle Choice or a Disease?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
It's both a lifestyle choice and a disease
Reply 61
Original post by SleepySheep
LOL at how you think it's that easy. Have you ever met an alcoholic? I could easily 'do the responsible thing and not drink' if I needed to because I am not an alcoholic. An alcoholic could not.

Yes they can. Though I suppose at that point they would cease to be an alcoholic?
Original post by dgeorge
Yes they can. Though I suppose at that point they would cease to be an alcoholic?

Well, yes. I realise I worded my previous post pretty badly :tongue: I just meant saying that alcoholics should "just do the responsible thing and not drink" is a very naive response. It's not as simple as just clicking your fingers and giving up. Idk, my mum still describes herself as an "alcoholic" even though she has been sober for 5 years :redface:
Reply 63
Well, yes. I realise I worded my previous post pretty badly :tongue: I just meant saying that alcoholics should "just do the responsible thing and not drink" is a very naive response. It's not as simple as just clicking your fingers and giving up. Idk, my mum still describes herself as an "alcoholic" even though she has been sober for 5 years :redface:

Understood.
Original post by dgeorge
Understood.

:smile:
Idk, my mum still describes herself as an "alcoholic" even though she has been sober for 5 years :redface:

Well done to your mum:smile:
Reply 66
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
We have already been over this. How a disease comes about does not make it less of a disease. :rolleyes: The point is just as valid, you are asking a person to stop something which they mentally and physically cannot because of dependency.

If I became addicted to complimenting girls would I be classed as having a disease? :holmes:
Original post by OU Student
Well done to your mum:smile:

Thank you sweetie :h:
Original post by PoGo HoPz
If I became addicted to complimenting girls would I be classed as having a disease? :holmes:

If it could be shown to be truly an addiction then I would argue yes.
Reply 69
LOL at how you think it's that easy. Have you ever met an alcoholic? I could easily 'do the responsible thing and not drink' if I needed to because I am not an alcoholic. An alcoholic could not.

I wasn't talking about alcoholics. I was talking about people that are easily susceptible to alcoholism or have an addictive personality.
Original post by liamb109
I wasn't talking about alcoholics. I was talking about people that are easily susceptible to alcoholism or have an addictive personality.

Okay. You can understand why I was confused as

Original post by liamb109
If you have an addictive personality or you can't control yourself when drunk or you can only drink to excess and can't drink in moderation

(particularly the part in bold) is pretty much the definition of an alcoholic. Sorry for misunderstanding.
While I think drinking copious amounts of alcohol is a lifestyle choice, being addicted to it- which is alchoholism- is a mental illness. An alcoholic is a human being but chooses drink over family, friends and in many cases life itself. It's a brutal illness that slowly damages irrepairable a person both mentally and physically and like all addictions takes a lot of willpower to stop. I think for an alcoholic it takes more determinatino to put down the sauce than to put it between their lips and also the ability to cope with the tress of withdrawal without seeking comfort in alcohol. While for a person without alcoholism drinking such amounts is something you do on a saturday night with your mates and something you prepare for, quite a different experience.
Reply 72
Original post by . .
No. Medically it is considered a disease. An addictive illness.

Liver disease is an example of a medical consequencial disease of alcoholism. Being an alcoholic is not inherently a disease.

Otherwise that's akin to saying "gunshot to the head" is a disease.
Original post by JC.
Liver disease is an example of a medical consequencial disease of alcoholism. Being an alcoholic is not inherently a disease.

Otherwise that's akin to saying "gunshot to the head" is a disease.

How is that a logical conclusion? And how is alcoholism (addiction) not a disease?
Reply 74
How is that a logical conclusion? And how is alcoholism (addiction) not a disease?

I'm "addicted" to buying classic cars. Is that a disease?

You could argue alcoholism is a form of poisoning in much the same way that exposure to uranium will give you radiation poison.
It certainly isn't a disease. It's a mistake to confuse the consequenses of getting leathered to an excessive degree and a contracted illness.
Original post by JC.
I'm "addicted" to buying classic cars. Is that a disease?

If you could show a real addiction then yes. Not just oh I like to buy lots of classic cars. If you actually have a physical or mental dependencey on it then yes I would argue it is.

You could argue alcoholism is a form of poisoning in much the same way that exposure to uranium will give you radiation poison.
It certainly isn't a disease. It's a mistake to confuse the consequenses of getting leathered to an excessive degree and a contracted illness.

You do realize that radiation poison is a form of illness right? :s-smilie:

ill·ness (lns)
n.
Disease of body or mind; poor health; sickness.
The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2007, 2004 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
illness
Etymology: ME, unhealthy condition
an abnormal process in which aspects of the social, physical, emotional, or intellectual condition and function of a person are diminished or impaired compared with that person's previous condition.

Addiction is a persistent, compulsive dependence on a behavior or substance. The term has been partially replaced by the word dependence for substance abuse. Addiction has been extended, however, to include mood-altering behaviors or activities. Some researchers speak of two types of addictions: substance addictions (for example, alcoholism, drug abuse, and smoking); and process addictions (for example, gambling, spending, shopping, eating, and sexual activity). There is a growing recognition that many addicts, such as polydrug abusers, are addicted to more than one substance or process.

Alcoholism is characterized by:
a prolonged period of frequent, heavy alcohol use.

the inability to control drinking once it has begun.

physical dependence manifested by withdrawal symptoms when the individual stops using alcohol.

tolerance, or the need to use more and more alcohol to achieve the same effects.

a variety of social and/or legal problems arising from alcohol use.

Seems to fit the criteria of an illness.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 76

You do realize that radiation poison is a form of illness right? :s-smilie:

indeed it is.

However, being addicted to visiting nuclear power plants isn't an illness though is it?
Original post by Toomanyoptions
I just dont get it, a disease is something like parkingsons? Where you can't control if you get it or not whereas being a alcoholic was started by the drunk.

You do not have to be a 'drunk' to be an alcoholic.
In my very limited experience with alcoholism, I do firmly believe that it is indeed a disease. And after some googling it seems that a number of very respected medical organisations would agree.
Original post by JC.
indeed it is.

However, being addicted to visiting nuclear power plants isn't an illness though is it?

Please read the above post (I edited it). Also:
disease /dis·ease/ (dĭ-zēz´) any deviation from or interruption of the normal structure or function of any body part, organ, or system that is manifested by a characteristic set of symptoms and signs and whose etiology, pathology, and prognosis may be known or unknown. See also entries under

Seems that addictions fit into this definition and is an illness as long as it fulfills the criteria of actually being an addiction.

Latest

Trending

Trending