The Student Room Group

What do you think the ideal weight for a 6"2 man is..?

Say if he's in his mid 20's and his build is slight but toned. I currently weigh 11.5 stone and am skinnier than I would like. I need to stay athletic for tennis and football. I would say I have quite broad shoulders but would like to get bigger everywhere, mainly legs and chest. My legs are too skinny, my arms have some muscle but still look thin, mainly as they're quite long. My target weight is 13 stone and 8% bf. My build is ectomorph so struggle to put on weight. Do you think this is a good target or would I look a bit weird at this size. Could you put your weight and height as well and describe your body? cheers

Scroll to see replies

I'd say still going to be too light at your weight.

I'm 75kg(12 stone) at 5 ft 7 and i'd say my build is medium to lean.

At 6 ft 2 i'd say you have to be 90kg(14 stone)+ to avoid looking skinny.
All this depends on how you carry your weight though, if you have skinny legs like you say then you could have a larger upper body as a lower weight.
Reply 2
Original post by Motorbiker
I'd say still going to be too light at your weight.

I'm 75kg(12 stone) at 5 ft 7 and i'd say my build is medium to lean.

At 6 ft 2 i'd say you have to be 90kg(14 stone)+ to avoid looking skinny.
All this depends on how you carry your weight though, if you have skinny legs like you say then you could have a larger upper body as a lower weight.

Cheers for that, I thought I heard that obv depending on your body type, there could be a variety of ideal weights, i.e two people who is 6"2 and 14 stone may look completely different. 14 stone is 2.5 more stone of muscle for me, which would prob look too big for an ectomorph no? Also, as I said I play a lot of tennis, so I need to be quick off the mark and round the court, would I not be too bulky at that weight?
I'm 6"3 and 79kg. I am skinny (but not as skinny as I used to be), but my aim is to be about 90kg.
Original post by newts2k
Cheers for that, I thought I heard that obv depending on your body type, there could be a variety of ideal weights, i.e two people who is 6"2 and 14 stone may look completely different. 14 stone is 2.5 more stone of muscle for me, which would prob look too big for an ectomorph no? Also, as I said I play a lot of tennis, so I need to be quick off the mark and round the court, would I not be too bulky at that weight?

Tbh it's impossible to tell just from numbers. If you posted up a picture then people could tell.

Also, check out the pictures in the transformation contest, Micheal XYZ is like 89kg in his final pic and looking lean. Not sure about speed but plenty of big american football players/rugby players are large and still very quick.

Maybe, keep putting on weight until you're happy then stop would be the sensible idea...
Reply 5
Original post by Motorbiker
Tbh it's impossible to tell just from numbers. If you posted up a picture then people could tell.

Also, check out the pictures in the transformation contest, Micheal XYZ is like 89kg in his final pic and looking lean. Not sure about speed but plenty of big american football players/rugby players are large and still very quick.

Maybe, keep putting on weight until you're happy then stop would be the sensible idea...

ok, cheers, yeah I'll post a pic when I get one
Reply 6
Go for 105KG.
Arnie was like 220lbs in T2 I believe. That's 100kg. Lean guys look bigger, especially if you have a big upper body and small waist. Proportions matter a lot.

11.5 stones is pathetic. I'm probably over 12 stones and 5'9.5 (but waiting on my new scales to confirm this). You're skinny.
Reply 8
Original post by silent ninja
Arnie was like 220lbs in T2 I believe. That's 100kg. Lean guys look bigger, especially if you have a big upper body and small waist. Proportions matter a lot.

11.5 stones is pathetic. I'm probably over 12 stones and 5'9.5 (but waiting on my new scales to confirm this). You're skinny.

lol, pathetic I know. I'm trying to get time to go to the gym, not at uni anymore. Difficult to get a routine at the moment due to temp work and looking for new jobs etc. Thing is I don't seem to be weak, as I can often lift more than guys who are 'bigger' i.e bulkier than me but I am slight though.
Original post by Nichrome
Yes, size does not always correlate with strength. Despite being rather skinny myself (6'1" and 72kg), I could usually out-squat and deadlift some of my much heavier rowing team mates.

Saying I'm pathetic for being 72kg is a bit harsh though, for the sports I do (long distance running and triathlon) it's an advantage to be leaner - look at the Brownlees/Bradley Wiggins ffs, are they pathetic?

A bit of hyperbole dude. No, a lot of athletes aren't heavy in that way. I mentioned Arnie so I was going in that direction. 11.5 stones can be ok. It depends.
Im 6 foot 3, and im 14 stone last time I checked. Depends on your muscles as well
Reply 11
Original post by harreeeee
Im 6 foot 3, and im 14 stone last time I checked. Depends on your muscles as well

whats your build? Bulky? slim but lean?
Original post by newts2k
whats your build? Bulky? slim but lean?

Kinda average I guess, I used to be a lot fatter but then lost weight, still have a little bit of belly. Big leg muscles, puny arms lol
Reply 13
Original post by newts2k
Say if he's in his mid 20's and his build is slight but toned. I currently weigh 11.5 stone and am skinnier than I would like. I need to stay athletic for tennis and football. I would say I have quite broad shoulders but would like to get bigger everywhere, mainly legs and chest. My legs are too skinny, my arms have some muscle but still look thin, mainly as they're quite long. My target weight is 13 stone and 8% bf. My build is ectomorph so struggle to put on weight. Do you think this is a good target or would I look a bit weird at this size. Could you put your weight and height as well and describe your body? cheers

Consider Cristiano Ronaldo is about your height, top-flight football player and weighs about 85kg with very low bodyfat. So you could look to gain about 12kg or a bit under 2 stone.
Reply 14
Original post by SEHughes
Consider Cristiano Ronaldo is about your height, top-flight football player and weighs about 85kg with very low bodyfat. So you could look to gain about 12kg or a bit under 2 stone.

yeah I would like to be built like him, then again he works out all day and plays football, we have very different lives. Apparently he has worked ridiculously hard to get it
Reply 15
Original post by newts2k
yeah I would like to be built like him, then again he works out all day and plays football, we have very different lives. Apparently he has worked ridiculously hard to get it

Yeah, but his physique is nothing you won't see in countless gyms across the country. His technical skill (and marketable face) is what makes him stand out.

You can see he's gained the weight very gradually over a few years - you can do the same.
Original post by newts2k
Say if he's in his mid 20's and his build is slight but toned. I currently weigh 11.5 stone and am skinnier than I would like. I need to stay athletic for tennis and football.

I know nothing about bodybuilding, but I can tell you that the greatest tennis player in history, Roger Federer (come on, he is!), is 6'1", and weighs around 13 stone. We're talking someone who is in the perfect shape for tennis, and he doesn't look skinny. So yeah, I wouldn't bother going for more than 13.
Reply 17
Original post by FrogInABog
I know nothing about bodybuilding, but I can tell you that the greatest tennis player in history, Roger Federer (come on, he is!), is 6'1", and weighs around 13 stone. We're talking someone who is in the perfect shape for tennis, and he doesn't look skinny. So yeah, I wouldn't bother going for more than 13.

yeah he does weigh about 13 stone, I would call his upper body skinny, I am looking to get a bigger more ripped upper body than his
About 16.5 stone and 10 percent body fat.
about 95 kg 10% bf.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest