The Student Room Group

Note taker

So I had a DSA reassessment and have been recommended a note taker, amongst other things, as 2 hour lectures and carpel tunnel is not working!

But, and I over think things/become anxious quite easily, but what actually happens. I've been told it will be in place for Wednesday, but do I meet her before the lecture? How will she know who I am? Do I sit next to her? What do I physically do whilst she is making my notes? Do I just sit and listen?

Sorry for the questions ... I guessed you guys would be more knowledgeable than anyone I know!
Reply 1
Original post by GooglyEyedMonster
So I had a DSA reassessment and have been recommended a note taker, amongst other things, as 2 hour lectures and carpel tunnel is not working!

But, and I over think things/become anxious quite easily, but what actually happens. I've been told it will be in place for Wednesday, but do I meet her before the lecture? How will she know who I am?

She may have identifcation on her (say around her neck) so should be easily identifiable. The private company who supply her, or your disability service, may be in touch with further details.

Do I sit next to her? What do I physically do whilst she is making my notes? Do I just sit and listen?

Just listen to the lecture and try and take in as much information as you can.

I don't believe you need to sit next to her but you may chose to do so.
Reply 2
I had a notetaker for my lectures and seminars, and yes, its all up to you whether you sit next to them. I usually did when I could, but know that other people didn't. The notes they took on a laptop were emailed to me after. I would recommend if there is anything specific you may want/need to remember, to write it yourself (or a short hand version) if you can, because the notetaker may not appreciate its value and they cannot take down every word.

Quick Reply

Latest