Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Samsung galaxy S3 wont charge, help!!

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've only had it for about 2 weeks and I've just moved to uni but the battery ran out last night and I went to charge it this morning but it just displays the battery icon with a loading sign for a couple of seconds and then goes off. I've tried a different charger and I get the same problem and now I don't know what to do!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Taken out and reinserted the battery?

Sent from my lovely lovely Xperia S.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vxrz)
    Taken out and reinserted the battery?

Sent from my lovely lovely Xperia S.
    Yep tried that too
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't own a Galaxy S3, but have you kept the wire connected to the phone for at least 10+ mins? It may be that the battery is so flat, that it needs to meet a 'reserve' level for it to turn on. I think you are seeing the initial battery icon just to let you know it is charging.

So keep it connected for a while (the longer the better) and the phone may turn on automatically, or you may need to power it on.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benniboi1)
    I've only had it for about 2 weeks and I've just moved to uni but the battery ran out last night and I went to charge it this morning but it just displays the battery icon with a loading sign for a couple of seconds and then goes off. I've tried a different charger and I get the same problem and now I don't know what to do!
    A similar thing happend to me when I bought my S3. Just turn the phone off and let it charge for like 4 hours without using it. The phone is probably completely dead.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by momomo123)
    A similar thing happend to me when I bought my S3. Just turn the phone off and let it charge for like 4 hours without using it. The phone is probably completely dead.
    I've had it plugged in for at least an hour and still hasn't turned on or anything. I'm not going out tonight so I'm just gonna leave it plugged in all night and hope you're right! Would my warranty cover this if it were an issue with the phone?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hustler-1337)
    I don't own a Galaxy S3, but have you kept the wire connected to the phone for at least 10+ mins? It may be that the battery is so flat, that it needs to meet a 'reserve' level for it to turn on. I think you are seeing the initial battery icon just to let you know it is charging.

So keep it connected for a while (the longer the better) and the phone may turn on automatically, or you may need to power it on.
    I've had it plugged in for an hour at least but still nothing :/
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Since you got it 2 weeks ago you can actually take it to your nearest Carphone Warehouse and they'll repair it free of charge as it's still under warranty. It doesn't matter if you bought it there or not. If you got it from a T-Mobile shop or something similar they'll also repair it for free.

You should try checking the port where the charger goes in and make sure there's nothing obstructing it and that the pins aren't broken or anything. Try blowing inside the charging port, it seems unlikely but there could be a crumb or something in there.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chocip)
    Since you got it 2 weeks ago you can actually take it to your nearest Carphone Warehouse and they'll repair it free of charge as it's still under warranty. It doesn't matter if you bought it there or not. If you got it from a T-Mobile shop or something similar they'll also repair it for free.

You should try checking the port where the charger goes in and make sure there's nothing obstructing it and that the pins aren't broken or anything. Try blowing inside the charging port, it seems unlikely but there could be a crumb or something in there.
    Thanks yeah I'll do that if nothing else works
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's been on charge for a good 2 or 3 hours and still nothing? :/
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    any help?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    any help?
    Try use different USB charger, probably someone in your house has it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Press and hold volume up, home and power. Release when the screen is on. Then do a factory reset.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rtcw)
    Try use different USB charger, probably someone in your house has it.
    I've tried that, same problem

(Original post by bertles86)
    Press and hold volume up, home and power. Release when the screen is on. Then do a factory reset.
    just tried that too and I don't think it's helped :/
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Okay take it to shop if you can tomorrow.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you're charging it off a mains socket and not an extension or USB. If it doesn't boot after that, you need a new handset its toasted.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rtcw)
    Okay take it to shop if you can tomorrow.

(Original post by bertles86)
    Make sure you're charging it off a mains socket and not an extension or USB. If it doesn't boot after that, you need a new handset its toasted.
    Yeah I took it back and they said that it's faulty and gave me a new one there and then. Luckily it was under 21 days since I bought it, going to get insurance straight away for this one!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It may be a dead battery, try quickly removing and inserting the charger, this might force it to work
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY S3, BUT I SORTED IT OUT
    the reason why it happening is broken usb connection, so now you have 2 options:
    1.(THAT DEFINETLY GONNA WORK FOR A WHILE) connect it very slowly and look where the connection point is (could be somewere in the middle of the distence that you usualy using to plug in) or wrap the usb connection with something who can make it standing very tight
    2.(RECOMENDED) bring it to the any wearhouse it is apsolutely free, dont forget to ask about another phone while they repairing yours
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. I've signed up just to reply to this thread as I have had the same problem and solved it. Both me and my other half have S3 minis and we have both had this issue so its definitely not my phone. The S3 mini has problems charging from the mains when the battery is completely dead. The problem is only with charging from the mains adapter. Dig out your USB cable and plug it in. After a about 20 minutes, enough charge will come down the USB cable to start the phone. As soon as your phone will start, you can then plug it into your mains charger and the charge will carry on and complete. Crap really but there you go. Hope that helps others staring at a dead phone.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 25, 2013
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.