The Student Room Group

Declaring module grades on my UCAS- good idea or bad idea?

HI EVERYONE, URGENT QUESTION!!

I'm applying to study Medicine at St Annes, but my AS grades aren't up to scratch- I got As in Biology and Maths, and Bs in Chemistry (OOPS) and Spanish. I'm dropping Spanish.

My Chemistry module grades are:
Unit 1: A
Unit 2: C
Unit 3: B

Unfortunately year 12 wasn't an easy year for me, due to some mitigating circumstances which will be mentioned in my reference, and this was the main contributor to my Bs.

I am resitting Unit 2 Chemistry (hopefully pull it up to a high A) and I am predicted A*(Biol) AA (Maths and Chemistry) for A2.

The Oxford website states:

Spoiler

Initially I only put my overall AS grades on the UCAS form, but as I was discussing it with a teacher, he told me I should put my module grades on too so it doesn't look like I'm hiding anything.

I understand what he means but would it be more risky for me to put my modules down due to the C in unit 2 chemistry? It looks so bad!

I got 10A* at GCSE so would that help to show that I have the potential to do well academically?

I'm really worried.... I really want to have a shot at Oxford but I'm not sure if I am punching above my weight :frown: Please help! My UCAS has to be sent off by Wednesday!
Reply 1
You have a shot at oxford.
They give 29% of applicants an interview, so you have a good chance. Writing a good personal statement is very important. You don't have to add your unit grades, its up to you. If on other subjects you got all As in the unit grades, it can be impressive to unis. I dont think you will be at a dissadvantage nor advantage if you end up putting your unit grades

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Original post by Okupator
You have a shot at oxford.
They give 29% of applicants an interview, so you have a good chance. Writing a good personal statement is very important. You don't have to add your unit grades, its up to you. If on other subjects you got all As in the unit grades, it can be impressive to unis. I dont think you will be at a dissadvantage nor advantage if you end up putting your unit grades

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I know I don't have to put them down but my referee told me it looks suspicious if I don't declare the modules!
I got all As in my Biology modules and AAB in my maths modules...
Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 3
I'm in the same position, sadly I got a c in English! (However AQA are remarking this due to what my college believes to be an error in the marking of the whole batch). What have you decided to do? I don't want oxford to think I'm hiding anything (although technically, I am)
Reply 4
Original post by jelly1995
I'm in the same position, sadly I got a c in English! (However AQA are remarking this due to what my college believes to be an error in the marking of the whole batch). What have you decided to do? I don't want oxford to think I'm hiding anything (although technically, I am)

I sent my application on Friday- I almost put my modules down but then deleted them last minute. I thought that I'd be kicking myself in the foot if I put them down because all of the unis I'm applying to state that they don't particularly care about modules, but if you want to put them down, they will use that as part of the application process. Why should I make my application worse when I don't need to? If Oxford (and the other unis I'm applying for) want module grades, then they will ask for them. Otherwise they wouldn't put that they're not necessary on the website.

(I hope I'm right anyway..... :zomg:)
Reply 5
Original post by Pronk
I sent my application on Friday- I almost put my modules down but then deleted them last minute. I thought that I'd be kicking myself in the foot if I put them down because all of the unis I'm applying to state that they don't particularly care about modules, but if you want to put them down, they will use that as part of the application process. Why should I make my application worse when I don't need to? If Oxford (and the other unis I'm applying for) want module grades, then they will ask for them. Otherwise they wouldn't put that they're not necessary on the website.

(I hope I'm right anyway..... :zomg:)

Hey! I'm in the same position as you right now... and I'm just wondering, did you end up getting an offer from Oxford?

Quick Reply