The Student Room Group

Can i get the maintenance grant without applying for tuition or maintenance loan

Am i able to get the maintenance grant which i am eligible for as my parents income fits in the category. I however will not be taking any loans as I am expressly forbidden from dealing in interest in my religion. So basically what I am asking is I will not be taking the tuition fee loan nor the maintenance loan as My parents will be paying my tuition and accomo (if necessary) fees for me. However I am eligible for a maintenance grant based on my parents income can I get it? Also Do i have to click on the 02 student finance bit on the ucas application or can I stick to 01 private finance? A fast reply would be much appreciated.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Don't think so I'm afraid.
Reply 2
Original post by rcummins1
Don't think so I'm afraid.

Hopefully somebody else can give a surer answer but thanks all the same
You can certainly apply for a maintenance loan/grant without applying for the tuition loan however you can't apply for the maintenance grant without the loan as far as I recall.

If in doubt, phone them and ask?
Reply 4
Nope, they come together.
I think you can just tick the grant box and leave the loan box unticked. Although student loans don't really have interest, they just keep with the rate of inflation. If it is permitted by your religion you could do what some people do and put the loan in a savings account which, overall, will make you money. If not as I said I think you can get the grant on it's own, try calling student finance to check if you need to.
Reply 6
Original post by Sharqawi
Am i able to get the maintenance grant which i am eligible for as my parents income fits in the category. I however will not be taking any loans as I am expressly forbidden from dealing in interest in my religion. So basically what I am asking is I will not be taking the tuition fee loan nor the maintenance loan as My parents will be paying my tuition and accomo (if necessary) fees for me. However I am eligible for a maintenance grant based on my parents income can I get it? Also Do i have to click on the 02 student finance bit on the ucas application or can I stick to 01 private finance? A fast reply would be much appreciated.

No, to get the grant you must have loan. You might, however, be eligible for any uni based grants that would be means-tested (the only problem with this is that they often look at your eligibility for the maintenance grants as well - which you wouldn't have done.) Your code would be 01, as your parents would pay your own fees.

As an aside, if your parents are able to pay your fees (£9k a year) and accommodation and living expenses (assuming you leave home) are you sure they're income is below the maintenance threshold? We'd be talking £9k tuition fees, ~£3-5k accommodation and at least £3k living expenses (based on the maintenance loan and the fact students are always in their overdraft!)

Is it possible you could talk to other students of your faith or your religious leaders?

If I might be so bold as to suggest that you're Muslim (the only religion I know that expressively forbids usury) you might want to look at this article from London Met. There seems to be a fair amount of religious debate about the topic. Regardless of your religion, it should still provide an interesting insight. http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/library/l12828_3.pdf
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Sharqawi

The answer appears to be yes to the maintenance-grant-only question. It's not clear from the paper form, but the online application is a little more helpful. If you enter your parents' financial information, then it will calculate your eligibility for the maintenance grant, maintenance loan, and tuition loan.

Then, on the penultimate page of the online application, it asks you whether you want to apply for either of the loans. It explicitly states that your application for the grant will be processed even if you don't want either loan. It also states something to the effect of "If you only want to apply for the grant, but not the maintenance loan or tuition loan, select 'no' for both questions". If you select 'no' to both loans then it recalculates your estimated awards - zero for both the loans, and whatever the amount of grant you're eligible for.

It may very well be that the specific religious concerns that you have prompted a clarification in the instructions for the online application that were not present on the paper form.

I don't have any advice on the UCAS application form though - I applied via a different route.
Reply 8
Hello Sharqawi,

I usually only respond to queries which have not been answered but due to the uncertainty, thought it would best to clarify a few points.

Just so you know, you are able to apply for a maintenance grant only without loans.

I would suggest making your application online. Go through the application until you get to the Loan Request section. Simply tick the box "no" for both maintenance loan and tuition fee loan.

Continue through the application until you're asked whether you would like to be household income assessed. Just to warn you, you must provide the financial details from your parents for an assessor can work out how much maintenance grant you're entitle to.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending