The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

why do people hate the police...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dukeofwembley
are you effing mad?

which police person you know would risk their lives or being injured to put someone in jail for one day

grow some common sense idiot

They are not risking their lives. For example, I have seen a drunk person pick up a trafic cone and walk along the street with it. The police roled up and said 'put that back where you found it'. The guy put it back where he picked it up from and then started walking off. At this point the situtation was dealt with but one of the police officers shouted 'and lose some weight you fat ****er'. The guy turned round and shouted '**** off' and before I knew it they ran over, pinned him on the ground and had his hands cuffed behind his back.

I have three more examples of police behaving like this which I have witnessed.
Most of the time the police as an institution and individuals do a great job but there has been times when they've screwed up. Found to be institutionally racist after the Stephen Lawrence murder, just recently contempt shown by officers against victims of sexual grooming, history of not believing claims of rape, brutality against protesters.

I know most of them are just following orders but how many of your personal beliefs would you sacrifice for a job.
For me it comes down the fact that as soon as they put their uniforms on they forget they're human beings.

I'd say that if you have asked to police for help in the past and not received it then you're quite likely to dislike the police.

There are many people in this country who need to realise what the police are really like. They are there to protect property, then themselves. It is very naive to think that the police are always the good guys.

I'd like to see recent examples of police officers being punished for their crimes. I dislike the police because they are completely dishonest and regularly go into court and lie for their colleagues.

They see the people they deal with as sub-human
They will lie in and out of court to secure a conviction if they think the end justifies the means
They are for the most part not brave people
They treat football fans like scum
They are lazy
They are incompetent
They will not be there when you need them
They are stupid
Reply 23
i think that anyone that hates the police should be banned from using any emergency services, even ambulances and hospitals

i was watching the riots episode on bbc about views on the police, and a woman was encouraging violence against them

what if her mother had been killed or raped , do you think she still would have had the same attitude towards the police.

what are your opinions?

People hate the police because they have a tendency towards being corrupt and authoritarian

I've had instances where I've ran into the police who felt they had to "flex their muscle" despite the fact that I have done absolutely nothing wrong.

I know of many cases where police overreact, and then lie and cover up in order to stay out of trouble

With great power comes great responsibility. Police are normal people, like you and me, but they have a power that most people do not have. There are "bad apples" in the police force who are happy to abuse this power, and that's where the problem comes in
i think that anyone that hates the police should be banned from using any emergency services, even ambulances and hospitals

i was watching the riots episode on bbc about views on the police, and a woman was encouraging violence against them

what if her mother had been killed or raped , do you think she still would have had the same attitude towards the police.

what are your opinions?

A lot of people have negative opinions of the police because I suppose they don't really appreciate how much good the police actually do. People tend to focus on the negatives, i.e. if they got stopped and searched randomly, or got a cannabis warning, or if they were pulled over by the traffic police for a random check; people see this as unnecessary authoritarianism.

I used to feel negatively towards the police, as I had never been treated particularly fairly by them in the past, although once I grew up a little and stopped being a rebelious teenager, it became obvious that most of them are just doing their job, and probably experience a lot of aggrovation from people; in a sense it's partly our fault they behave in the way they do towards us.

On the other hand, there are undoubtedly too many people in the police force/service who are mentally unfit for holding such an authoritive position. For example, I know someone who was bullied at school and is now doing his 2 years community support with the intention of becomming a PC. He has said to me he will try and arrest the people who used to bully him, because he knows many of them spoke cannabis openly. He is also fairly racist, and thinks women should not be allowed to drive; so it's worrying that he may end up being a police officer.
I don't hate the police as a whole. I understand and appreciate their function in our society. What I do hate though, are certain members of the police force. My uncle was one of them. He went into that job because he was a bully and loved having power over others. There are many, many fantastic police officers but unfortunately I feel not enough is done in terms of vetting who is and who is not allowed into the police.
Original post by Happydude
There are many, many fantastic police officers but unfortunately I feel not enough is done in terms of vetting who is and who is not allowed into the police.
Precisely.
They have a long track record of violence and misconduct and not a whole lot seems to get done about it. They seem to get away with all kinds of horrible things (Ian Tomlinson, Forest Gate and Charles de Menezes come to mind). Their recent handling of peaceful protests has been atrocious and their response to the riots was an absolute joke. Obviously there are lots of good cops out there but the fact the bad ones seem to behave without consequence and are protected by their peers makes the whole institution seem corrupt.
Because they act with impunity.

For example one ex-police officer who became a teacher at my old college used to brag to other teachers how he once broke a man's nose in a police van, and then charged him with assaulting a police officer. And then there is the way rape victims are treated by the police, the indiscriminate use of stop and search, and the 1000 deaths in police custody since 1969.
Reply 29
Because they always set off those ****ing sirens as soon as theyre next to me -_- Plus walking homelate at night does not give them a right to search me for drugs, least of all in the middle of nowhere -_-
Reply 30
they're all plebs
Reply 31
Human rights mean that the police are very limited at what they can do, and then we complain that they don't do anything. Honestly, there are so many factors that affect whether the police are good or not at their jobs that there is no way that anyone's opinion is truly correct unless the whole thing is looked at in-depth.

I mean think about where and whom do these bad opinions of the police come from and are they based on one bad incident? We end up generalising the entire force.

Think about the Ian Tomlinson case where a man was knocked down by the Police Officer at the G20 protest and later had a heart attack. Instantly everyone was up in arms about the incident, many hating the police for it when there are so many variables involved as in was the heart attack a direct correlation to the push? What words were exchanged? What had happened directly before the incident? I mean, that group of police could have been fighting back a violent crowd and Tomlinson had appeared out of it in a quiet gap and they assumed he was part of it.

I'm not saying I am right I just think no one ever looks at the bigger picture and weighs up both sides of the argument before passing their judgement. We only see what we want to see.

TL;DR I personally think that the police work long hours, fill in masses of paperwork, are underpaid and receive abuse everyday but also some abuse their powers, care more for status and money, and are sometimes incompetent at their jobs.

This argument is so big that I'm going to stop here because it is making my brain hurt.
This is possibly a massive waste of a reply haha
Because they're chavs.
i don't hate the police, i think its really cool that they're protecting people as their job...i'm too selfish to even consider that as a career!
Original post by Toomanyoptions
Cuz We NOt reppin da police init dog?!?!

edit: i dont know why i have been negged for this since it was clearly a joke

because it was so unfunny it hurt my insides
Reply 35
The latest news reminded me of this joke of a thread.

Hmm, why would anyone dislike the Police... I don't know with the Hillsborough scandal, G20 Protest at London with a policemen killing someone for no reason (internal bleeding) and getting away with it along with just recently of today a policemen tasering blind man after mistaken his stick for a samurai sword lol.

Yeah, suddenly it isn't as confusing as why one would possibly hate the police. :rolleyes:
Reply 36
Because they tase blind people in the street...:rolleyes:
Reply 37
Personally I do hate the police, it is in my right of freedom of speech.

Ever since the beginning the police have been mentally trained to expect the worst out of everyone since "they don't know who they are dealing with" we are judged as a "bad" person by them before we even open our mouths to speak to them, we are guilty before we even had a chance to prove our self innocent.
Basically what sickens me most is that they claim that "it is their jobs" to control the poor population since we are the ones who "disrespect" or "break" laws. They forget that they are no better then us because them also bend the rules.

Now if I was in trouble my first reaction wouldn't be to call the police.
For example if my house was broken into at the middle of night while I was sleeping, I will recur to my hand gun in which I'm allowed to have from my 4th amendment rights. And why shouldn't I call the police when I pay their salaries as a tax payer.

what are your opinions?

You can probably be prosecuted for inciting violence against the police and rightly so.

I disagree with what you say about banning people from using emergency services though.

Some people who hate the police are fully entitled to do so, believe it or not police officers are only human and are therefore capable of dishonestly, violence and incompetence. If a police officer lies in court in order to secure a conviction against you then why on earth would you not hate the police?

Add to this the perception (or is it the reality?) that there is one rule for the police and another for ordinary people and you can see why people might take a disliking to the police force.

I think more often than not people have respect for the police until they actually have to deal with them, victims of crime and criminals can have terrible and unwarranted negative experiences due to the actions of police officers. The attitude and behaviour of police officers has a huge influence on people's opinions of the police force and people's decision whether to help them or not.

If the police fail to adequately protect you from danger then I can understand why you might hate them.
I think it is a combination of cultural fears and personal experiences that taint our perceptions. Many people from black/ethnic backgrounds tend to dislike the police, partly because they perceive the police as an extension of white power, and others because in their home countries the police were quite a bit more brutal. The majority of young people that dislike the police, however, usually do so because of the wannabe gangster culture in this country. That being said, not all police are the good guys; my Dad was mistakenly identified as an EDL member on the remembrance day protests a few years back and was beaten by about 20 riot police before being arrested for "assaulting a police officer". The cops then proceeded to lie about the incident in court and tried to destroy CCTV evidence from the day (luckily they didn't manage to remove all the footage, he was acquitted in court once the tape was shown). And yet the IPCC has denied any police wrongdoing or attempt to pervert the course of justice...//wow this is a really Old thread that's been dug up...
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending