The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

why do people hate the police...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TorpidPhil
People hate the police because the police hate them - justifiably so or not.

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
It's the worse when you find time capsule you. Makes you feel so old :afraid:

Lol, I just found myself saying the above a few months ago and was like "damn, this guy's sensible, what a profound quote" Holy **** I said that! Well jeez. :colondollar:

:u:
Original post by Scopeowner
They are good at doing their job, but they are definitely a little racist against ethnic minorities. As I have learnt from many personal experiences, and heard from the incidents experienced by people I know.

What you call racist I call profiling

Posted from TSR Mobile
Institutional racism is enough of a reason to hate them as an entity, but obviously you shouldn't hate an individual just because they are a police officer.
Original post by paul514
What you call racist I call profiling

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmmm, which is still racism. Just because you call it another thing, doesn't mean the meaning changes. You aren't an ethnic minority, so you'll never know how we feel.
Hmmm, which is still racism. Just because you call it another thing, doesn't mean the meaning changes. You aren't an ethnic minority, so you'll never know how we feel.

I think a lot of the time it goes beyond racism. It's usually to do with the way certain people dress and behave; if a young black man is wearing suit and walking through the city he's much less likely to be stopped and searched than another young black man hanging around on a street corner in a rough area wearing all black clothes, with a hood up, stood with a few friends dressed the same way

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dukeofwembley

i need to become Mp and introduce a bill whereby anyone who hates the police will be denied any access to any service

even if it means finding criminals themselves or hiring people privatley

That would be stupid because we pay their wages, their civil servants and are supposed to serve the tax paying public NOT abuse them. Thet have to serve us weather we like them or not.
I hate the police because they hate me - they've told me, on numerous occasions. They've called me "******" and "coon" (I didnt even know what a 'coon' was), they've told me "Knightsbridge is a 'no-go' area for black boys on bicycles" meaning that they will stop and search any black boy on a bicycle in Knightsbridge [so dont come here].

They ask humiliating question that have nothing to do with job like "where did you get your surname?" knowing full well that I cannot explain that and then they suggest that it must be slavery - why is this professional behavior?

If I ever get an opportunity to kill a pig I would assume God wants me to.
Original post by Skeptique
I hate the police because they hate me - they've told me, on numerous occasions. They've called me "******" and "coon" (I didnt even know what a 'coon' was), they've told me "Knightsbridge is a 'no-go' area for black boys on bicycles" meaning that they will stop and search any black boy on a bicycle in Knightsbridge [so dont come here].

They ask humiliating question that have nothing to do with job like "where did you get your surname?" knowing full well that I cannot explain that and then they suggest that it must be slavery - why is this professional behavior?

Even if those incidents have involved 100 different police officers that's not even one thousandth of the total police officers in the UK - is that not somewhat similar to disliking all Muslims because of Isis?

Posted from TSR Mobile

image.jpg
Original post by Underscore__
For the same reason that people hate Muslims or black people; ridiculous stereotyping

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well not quite. Being against black people is bad because race is something that you are born with and not something you choose. That's why racism is abhorrent.

The Muslim thing is more fair though because with joining the police and bring Muslim it's a choice you make. You can become, remain and leave both if you choose (unless you're in a Sharia-run society lol but talking about the UK here).

I do agree though that to hate on individual cops because they're cops is brainless. There are good police officers out there. I haven't met any myself lol but I'm thinking that's more the institution than them personally. I can certainly see why being in such an organisation for a while would turn a person into a jaded, pig ignorant fool (like my mate in the Met lol) but that's the nature of the beast.
Original post by KimKallstrom
Well not quite. Being against black people is bad because race is something that you are born with and not something you choose. That's why racism is abhorrent.

The Muslim thing is more fair though because with joining the police and bring Muslim it's a choice you make. You can become, remain and leave both if you choose (unless you're in a Sharia-run society lol but talking about the UK here).

I do agree though that to hate on individual cops because they're cops is brainless. There are good police officers out there. I haven't met any myself lol but I'm thinking that's more the institution than them personally. I can certainly see why being in such an organisation for a while would turn a person into a jaded, pig ignorant fool (like my mate in the Met lol) but that's the nature of the beast.

Of course being a police officer is a choice and being black isn't but that's outside of my point. I was just saying that people often dislike black people, Muslims and the police for the same reason which is stereotyping

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
Even if those incidents have involved 100 different police officers that's not even one thousandth of the total police officers in the UK - is that not somewhat similar to disliking all Muslims because of Isis?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes Its a valid point but heres were your comparison is unequal
1) the Police are a professional organisation trained and held to account the same cannot be said for religious communities.

2) there were allot of other police officers there standing by hearing me being verbally abused and none of them intervened. In fact you could argue they encouraged it. If we had to apply the same principles of 'Zero Tolerance' [to crime] and 'Joint Endevour' [prosecution] to them that they so liberally apply to the public then they ALL in the police station would be guilty.
(edited 8 years ago)

Profiling is a standard and useful policing technique in every country around the world.

If you don't like it then do your best to make sure your profile isn't one that commits crime as I guarantee you a black or Asian business man in a suit carrying a briefcase at 5:40 going into the train station doesn't get stopped and searched.....

His profile doesn't fit with that of someone that they are looking to catch.

Now you can boo hoo all you like but that's how it is and it isn't going to change

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
So? I don't give two ****s how you feel about it.

Profiling is a standard and useful policing technique in every country around the world.

If you don't like it then do your best to make sure your profile isn't one that commits crime as I guarantee you a black or Asian business man in a suit carrying a briefcase at 5:40 going into the train station doesn't get stopped and searched.....

His profile doesn't fit with that of someone that they are looking to catch.

Now you can boo hoo all you like but that's how it is and it isn't going to change

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are so childish for making this personal, TSR isn't a place for criticising another person's opinion. Instead you should just learn how to respect everyone else's views and opinions, before someone embarrases you.

I understand what you mean by profiling, but by saying that you don't give a damn about my opinion just shows how narrow-minded you really are.
You are so childish for making this personal, TSR isn't a place for criticising another person's opinion. Instead you should just learn how to respect everyone else's views and opinions, before someone embarrases you.

I understand what you mean by profiling, but by saying that you don't give a damn about my opinion just shows how narrow-minded you really are.

Nah it's the truth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
Nah it's the truth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So be it, but next time please try to be a little bit more considerate when responding to someone else's opinion. I totally understand why people would hate the police, especially when their 'profiling' tactic is considered to be hostile by ethnic minorities.
Yes Its a valid point but heres were your comparison is unequal
1) the Police are a professional organisation trained and held to account the same cannot be said for religious communities.

2) there were allot of other police officers there standing by hearing me being verbally abused and none of them intervened. In fact you could argue they encouraged it. If we had to apply the same principles of 'Zero Tolerance' [to crime] and 'Joint Endevour' [prosecution] to them that they so liberally apply to the public then they ALL in the police station would be guilty.

The police don't apply those, it's the CPS.

You're still stereotyping all police based on the minority you've have had experiences with which is what people do all the time we race

Posted from TSR Mobile
So be it, but next time please try to be a little bit more considerate when responding to someone else's opinion. I totally understand why people would hate the police, especially when their 'profiling' tactic is considered to be hostile by ethnic minorities.

I don't do kid gloves, I say it how I see it and frankly if people get offended then good too many people live in hermetically sealed bubbles these days.

It's ok to feel offended it's a normal human emotion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
I don't do kid gloves, I say it how I see it and frankly if people get offended then good too many people live in hermetically sealed bubbles these days.

It's ok to feel offended it's a normal human emotion

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it isn't easy to be as tough as think you can be, only dire situations can expose your toughness.

Some people may live in 'hermetically sealed bubbles', but that's just how some people are. No matter how hard we try to expose the harsh reality of life, some people just don't want to accept it because they believe life shouldn't be harsh.

Harsh fact of life to be honest.
Because they have a habit of treating you like ****.

Latest