The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

why do people hate the police...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Skeptique
I hate the police because they hate me - they've told me, on numerous occasions. They've called me "******" and "coon" (I didnt even know what a 'coon' was), they've told me "Knightsbridge is a 'no-go' area for black boys on bicycles" meaning that they will stop and search any black boy on a bicycle in Knightsbridge [so dont come here].

They ask humiliating question that have nothing to do with job like "where did you get your surname?" knowing full well that I cannot explain that and then they suggest that it must be slavery - why is this professional behavior?

If I ever get an opportunity to kill a pig I would assume God wants me to.

That expression for Black people is fairly specific to the American South, and I'm pretty sure "pig" isn't common in the UK either. Your American spelling of "behaviour" is also a give away.

You seem to be one of those people bent on a disinformation campaign to spread the notion that American-style racism exists in the UK in order to promote some kind of political agenda that may help Black people there get an unfair advantage that they don't actually deserve.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jeremy1988
That expression for Black people is fairly specific to the American South, and I'm pretty sure "pig" isn't common in the UK either. Your American spelling of "behaviour" is also a give away.

You seem to be one of those people bent on a disinformation campaign to spread the notion that American-style racism exists in the UK in order to promote some kind of political agenda that may help Black people there get an unfair advantage that they don't actually deserve.

Lool 'American-Style racism'.. you mean Racism? Which magically disappeared in the UK in the last few minutes? White people already have an advantage they don't deserve, it's called white privilege..
Original post by david_94
Lool 'American-Style racism'.. you mean Racism? Which magically disappeared in the UK in the last few minutes? White people already have an advantage they don't deserve, it's called white privilege..

Well, you and I are not going to agree on that because I don't accept the sociopolitical theory of white privilege, and there is nothing you can say that will make me accept it. Sorry. Anyway, I hope you travel more and find that other countries in the world aren't just like America because white people live in them. :/
(edited 8 years ago)
It is called being left wing
Original post by jeremy1988
Well, you and I are not going to agree on that because I don't accept the sociopolitical theory of white privilege, and there is nothing you can say that will make me accept it. Sorry. Anyway, I hope you travel more and find that other countries in the world aren't just like America because white people live in them. :/

I'm astonished, lol theory.
Lol. If you live in South London, you'd understand why people hate the police.
Tbh I have a lot of respect for the police.

They get so much undeserved hate, but almost all of them do a great job.
Original post by Dukeofwembley

i need to become Mp and introduce a bill whereby anyone who hates the police will be denied any access to any service

even if it means finding criminals themselves or hiring people privately

You would deny a public service to someone based on their opinion of it? And you actually think this is a sensible stance?

There is no political party or any conceivable political climate in which you would even come close to getting put on the ticket for a parliamentary election, unless you ran yourself as an Independent, in which case you would be made a mockery of, including by UKIP.
I can't stand them. Probably because I've had problems in the past involving the police and they weren't helping at all the dickheads.
"Of course you hate the police"
"lots of people hate the police "
"lots of ***** "
Original post by 🤔🤔🤔
Police to me in my opinion are robots of the government ,self absorbed, boring people. That is the impression I have been left with after meeting many officers in my job . The ones that I have met have the most pathetic personality , who most of them aim their authority at the working class who may make one mistake. Better yet do 43mph in a 40 and get a ticket. They immediately talk to you with no respect. Like they are talking down to you . Like they are better than you . They do not serve the people. Do not Protect the people . They watch the people. With regards to your answer if you dislike the police you should be banned from using emergency services. What a load of *******s. It's like having no money but you need to go to the bank to withdraw...but hang on ....you hate the bankers so your now banned from withdrawing money . Leave it alone! I dislike police as much as I
Dislike the rich bankers who truely run this world. However I pay my taxes so if my house gets burgled yes i will ring the police . Don't think your getting a cup of tea though.

It's amazing how people feel it's okay to stereotype the police yet would likely criticise others for stereotyping races of people

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd say people have more hatred for the policies that they enforce than the individuals in the uniforms themselves
is it a matter of selling out or a matter of hating their manners of doing the job?
drug enforcement is a political matter, whereas the possibility of racial biases in police methods is a police matter
as I don't think that the level of police racial-discrimination today isn't terrible, I'd say the policies that they have to enforce (e.g. drugs prohibition) is by far the worse of the two, and often, race comes into the picture in certain policies whereby their racial biases can influence who actually goes to prison for these stupid policies (again, like the war on drugs)
(edited 8 years ago)
I've never had any problems with the police.

If you don't approach them with "attitude" then they are fine.

When I was a student in Leeds, I was always surprised how many police I'd see on the streets walking round the student areas. Generally if they saw me walking around on my own or with a mate at night they would stop us and start asking questions, what are you doing tonight lads, are you students here, where do you live and so on. I never quite knew what they were getting at or if they were just trying to suss out suspicious behaviour. But it never bothered me, I knew I wasn't doing anything they could arrest me for so I just answered their questions politely and after a couple of minutes they would move on. Sometimes other students would be all "oooo what right have they got to question you" but I don't see the point of having attitude about it - they are just doing their job.

Where students used to get on my nerves was when they would be doing stuff like outside street parties disturbing everybody in the middle of the night and then when the police came to ask people to stop keeping the neighbours up they all thought they were in some kind of human rights protest being oppressed by the evil police. I remember clearly one time where there was a big outrage in the student paper about "police brutality" when they'd come to a house party and the police moved in with dogs after someone threw a bollard at them and someone else jumped on the bonnet of a police car. What did they expect the police to do just stand there and take it?
They people are too strict.
don't be a narrow minded uneducated individual. I've served my country for 8 years in the armed forces and remained neutral, I am hopefully due to join the police force as are a lot of ex-services. Respect your armed forces
Everyone who sticks up for pigs are TOSSERSSSSSSS:angry:
(edited 6 years ago)
I dislike the fact that police don't really seem to do much about minor crimes e.g. burglary, criminal damage to property, harassment, minor assault etc. because these are the sorts of crimes the average person is probably going to experience and be more concerned about in their day to day lives. Nobody really fears the repercussions for them anymore.

Of course that's not their fault, but more due to the fact that they're underfunded and that the criminal justice system is very lenient (there's no point working so hard to catch a criminal who's just going to get a slap on the wrist). It's still annoying though.
Original post by tazarooni89
I dislike the fact that police don't really seem to do much about minor crimes e.g. burglary, criminal damage to property, harassment, minor assault etc. because these are the sorts of crimes the average person is probably going to experience and be more concerned about in their day to day lives. Nobody really fears the repercussions for them anymore.

Of course that's not their fault, but more due to the fact that they're underfunded and that the criminal justice system is very lenient (there's no point working so hard to catch a criminal who's just going to get a slap on the wrist). It's still annoying though.

Where have you got this perception from? Generally the police investigate crimes but in the ones you've listed evidence can be hard to come by

Posted from TSR Mobile
For a lot of people It can be a *****y system. You use them and your okay you don't your not your not like it's based on a points system of how many times you have used them. Then if you don't use use them you will be okay because then you can't be a tout but then once you do that people will know and take advantage of the situation. I wouldn't say they can protect people personally I wouldn't be very warm o the whole thing. People tend to police themselves now there's a lot of people with guns/weapons in their house you wouldn't expect.
(edited 6 years ago)
Only ever had two dealings with the police. Once when my mum and lots of other elderly residents in her block of flats were burgled all in the same day by a female confidence trickster. The police collected me and my mum and drove us to the station to make statements, were lovely to us the whole time we were in there and drove us home again afterwards. [ We were both able to positively ID the woman from the police mugshot books and lots of others recognised her too. She was jailed for 8 years]. The other time was when my son's dad hit and kicked me around the living room, in front of our son and I ran out of the house with our son and called the police from a neighbour's house. They came round, a male and a female, and took a statement off me and were fantastic and so kind. Oh I forgot about the time when I Tweeted the names of the two women who were involved with Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins in sexually abusing their own young children. The names of the two women were all over Twitter, so I was re-Tweeting their names to everyone too. South Yorkshire police were monitoring Twitter for people naming the women and they contacted Newry and Mourne Police and told them about me. I got a knock on the door and a man and woman police officer asked to come in. I thought my son had done something wrong. Little did I realise it was me !! I got the whole "You have the right to remain silent" statement read out to me, and I had to delete my Tweets in front of them. Never heard any more from them about it, but I think there were hundreds Tweeting the two women's names.
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending