The Student Room Group

Who do you think the next casualty on the high street will be?

What the title says really.

I think HMV have really outstayed their welcome. They're on their last legs. It'll be a pity because aside from the Independents and the shop (which has escaped my mind) that sells CDs for £1 - £5.00 they'll be no big music/DVD retailler on the high street.

Scroll to see replies

HMV is a ****ing rip-off. Good riddance quite frankly.
Yeah I never understood why HMV still thinks it can rip people off. Why don't they just lower prices?
Original post by Historicity
Yeah I never understood why HMV still thinks it can rip people off. Why don't they just lower prices?

They'll probably blame illegal downloading, but they've had it coming for years. Can remember when I was in school and I really wanted a copy of the Wu Tang Clan (RZA) album 'Digital Bullet', but it was £16 quid!!! Thats nearly all of my pocket money. A CD for 16 smackers? GTFO.
Reply 4
There will be many branches of established outlets that will be shut rather than entire chains disappearing. Anything to do with electronics, books, general toys, mid-priced clothes will all be targets. The problem isn't really slow sales, the main problem that kills retail in Britain is the horrific rents and business rates which are crazily expensive but give nothing in return as in many councils even after paying business rates you still need to pay for garbage collection which isn't cheap.
Whsmith - can't see why they are still in business , can't compete with supermarkets

HMV - downloads and internet killed them off

GAME - pointless store, same as above

Halfords - depressing store, no unique products

Primark - unsustainable in the long run, their business model is flawed

British Home Stores - is there any point to this store ?

Burton - another pointless store, basically it is topman for boring people
(edited 11 years ago)
Wilkinson. With the rise of Tesco express and superstores selling some of their gear, it's only a matter of time. Personally though I'd like to see the closure of shops like Monsoon, Claire's and Accessorize. There's too many shops for that market, and its only now that a male fashion market is starting to emerge. Get rid of 1 so a men's set of stores can get underway.
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
Wilkinson. With the rise of Tesco express and superstores selling some of their gear, it's only a matter of time. Personally though I'd like to see the closure of shops like Monsoon, Claire's and Accessorize. There's too many shops for that market, and its only now that a male fashion market is starting to emerge. Get rid of 1 so a men's set of stores can get underway.

Na, Wilkinson's will survive - they undercut B&Q, Homebase and so-on on basic products, and provide a much wider range than even the big tescos.
Reply 8
ITT: armchair businesmen

lmao
I'd rather iTunes wasn't prioritised as a music store because you aren't buying the songs, you're buying the rights to them so if you die then everything you bought all belongs to apple again. Long live CDs, at least as physical base copies you can put into iTunes later.
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk

Why would you like to see the close of those shops? You do realise that many people depend on their income, working for those chains?
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
Why would you like to see the close of those shops? You do realise that many people depend on their income, working for those chains?

Well maybe not in that aspect as you've said about unemployed people, but I would like to see there be some sort of inclusion for men at the very least in their stores. I do feel that men who are into their fashion are often forgotten about and it is very unfair. All we have is Burton and Topman for us specifically.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
I think WHSMITHS' and Waterstones' are next. I only buy books online anymore, and with the rise of e-readers I can't see those two staying for much longer.

This was posted in-between my self pleasure activities on my brand new Samsung Galaxy S III :colonhash:
Everytime I go to WH Smiths it's packed.
Original post by ipoop
I think WHSMITHS' is next.

[QUOTE="democracyforum;39752072"]Whsmith - can't see why they are still in business , can't compete with supermarkets

:lol: nope!

The distribution side + their airport/train station shops mean they'll survive.......
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by democracyforum
Whsmith - can't see why they are still in business , can't compete with supermarkets

WH Smiths do sell a much bigger range of magazines than supermarkets. Borders used to be much better for overseas and oscure magazines but I would hate to be limited to what my local newsagents or supermarket sells.

Might be more selection for those in london but up north WH Smith is still useful however books, dvds and stationary is way over priced.

I think waterstones is probably struggling, have a friend working there who says lots of people come in browse around etc, go for a coffee and use the bogs but far fewer buy books intead the go home and buy online or download to their kindle etc. It will be a shame when it goes but I admit I often do the same, normally only buy second hand books when I am out now as it is so much cheaper to buy online.

Primark?? They aren't going anywhere yet. Not as strong as in the past, but they still have a lot of power

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can see Blockbuster going sooner rather than later :frown:

Lol do you have any knowledge of business? Primark made a revenue of £2,730m last year, they're in no danger of closing any time soon.
Reply 19
Original post by Hewitt
I can see Blockbuster going sooner rather than later :frown:

I'm surprised they haven't gone already, they had one foot in the grave the last time I went in one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending