The Student Room Group

Help choosing a degree?

Hi, so I'm applying to uni next year and I'm really having trouble deciding on a course. Until recently I wanted to study Law but I realized that it probably wouldn't be a good idea what with my crippling social anxiety and fear of public speaking. I'm taking A-Level Biology, History, and Philosophy and I'm wondering what courses I could apply for. Ideally, I'd really love to study Modern Languages (Russian or German :colondollar:) but I think that it's kind of unrealistic because I don't even have a language at IGCSE and the degree is competitive enough for people who have done two language A-levels.

I want to get a degree that will boost my job prospects, but it seems like all of the degrees with low unemployment rates have to do with Medicine/Science/maths, and anything science-y is out of the question because biology is the only science subject I have any sort of talent in.

Any advice? :redface:
Reply 1
Original post by good_biscuits
Hi, so I'm applying to uni next year and I'm really having trouble deciding on a course. Until recently I wanted to study Law but I realized that it probably wouldn't be a good idea what with my crippling social anxiety and fear of public speaking. I'm taking A-Level Biology, History, and Philosophy and I'm wondering what courses I could apply for. Ideally, I'd really love to study Modern Languages (Russian or German :colondollar:) but I think that it's kind of unrealistic because I don't even have a language at IGCSE and the degree is competitive enough for people who have done two language A-levels.

I want to get a degree that will boost my job prospects, but it seems like all of the degrees with low unemployment rates have to do with Medicine/Science/maths, and anything science-y is out of the question because biology is the only science subject I have any sort of talent in.

Any advice? :redface:

You know, the more public speaking you do, the better you get at it. Being afraid to speak in public isn't a reason that you shouldn't study what you want to. You could always study law and if you decide you don't want to be a lawyer/ barrister/ etc. because of the public speaking thing you still have a law degree, which is highly valued by employers in general.

You will change as you go through uni. When I was doing A Levels I also hated speaking publicly, but now I've been through uni and am doing my Masters, it's really not as much of an issue because I've grown as a person.

You seem to be thinking about everything that's stopping you from studying what you want. Think about the skills you have instead!
Look at what you want to do. The test I used to decide on what I want to apply for is: will I be happy to roll out of bed to go to the 'office' in 40 years' time?

As the previous poster said you will change during your time at uni so this public speaking problem may not be a problem when it becomes an issue. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending