The Student Room Group

Deloitte - Final Interview thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by M83
I know what you mean mate. I'm guessing you probably did something business or finance/economics related at uni? I did Anthropology so it's quite a way away from Risk consulting, but my first interviewer didn't mind that at all considering he did philosophy at uni. I'm trying to keep obsessively up to date with the news at the moment, but I'm hoping I wouldn't be asked some ridiculous question like 'describe in detail how quantitative easing works' lol (although I could probably answer that now). I guess I'm most worried about what he asks concerning my presentation.

Did Econ at uni so I'm aware of how QE works lol! But I can see how euro debt crisis and fiscal cliff would be difficult for someone who hasn't done a related degree to explain. I've been asked in an interview when Italy was changing its president in November last year "what do you think of what is happening in Spain right now?" But that was JP Morgan risk so quite a bit different! Thing is I read on wikijobs about how a guy was asked "What 2 industries have you been keeping up to date with?" Which is slightly worrying
Reply 21
Original post by J.Nalbandian14
Deliotte have a long interview process!

Are you talking about how long they make you wait for an interview (:angry:) or that there are lots of stages?
Reply 22
Original post by goku90
Did Econ at uni so I'm aware of how QE works lol! But I can see how euro debt crisis and fiscal cliff would be difficult for someone who hasn't done a related degree to explain. I've been asked in an interview when Italy was changing its president in November last year "what do you think of what is happening in Spain right now?" But that was JP Morgan risk so quite a bit different! Thing is I read on wikijobs about how a guy was asked "What 2 industries have you been keeping up to date with?" Which is slightly worrying

Yer, I'm sure they wouldn't ask me anything that specific - was only joking. I suppose the 2 industries one is quite broad though isn't it? I suppose I would choose IT industry - been keeping an eye on the cyber attacks/security news recently and also the legal battle between Samsung and Apple. I think I would know enough to give a basic answer on any of the major economic crises going on at the moment - especially given I have another 6 days to just sit in front of the business news haha.
Original post by goku90
Are you talking about how long they make you wait for an interview (:angry:) or that there are lots of stages?

Both, they take forever on informing you about whether you have successfully mastered one stage and there are like so many stages.
Reply 24
Original post by J.Nalbandian14
Both, they take forever on informing you about whether you have successfully mastered one stage and there are like so many stages.

That may just be because you are in a bit of a queue. I think the only reason they have been so quick (other than this week long wait for my final interview - although they did arrange a date about 2 days after my first one which was efficient) for my application is because I was so early to apply.
Reply 25
Original post by goku90

Still no news? I'm getting seriously agitated waiting around. Wish it was on Monday.
Reply 26
Original post by M83
Still no news? I'm getting seriously agitated waiting around. Wish it was on Monday.

Still nothing. I didn't expect to hear anything tbh. Guess it will be sometime next week now (hopefully).
Original post by M83
That may just be because you are in a bit of a queue. I think the only reason they have been so quick (other than this week long wait for my final interview - although they did arrange a date about 2 days after my first one which was efficient) for my application is because I was so early to apply.

Oh right, I see
Reply 28
Original post by goku90
Still nothing. I didn't expect to hear anything tbh. Guess it will be sometime next week now (hopefully).

I feel like I should be doing something else to prepare for the interview, but there really is nothing else I can do other than watch business news as I feel my presentation is ready and how could it is will simply depend on how I act and react on the day. :s-smilie:
Reply 29
Original post by M83
I feel like I should be doing something else to prepare for the interview, but there really is nothing else I can do other than watch business news as I feel my presentation is ready and how could it is will simply depend on how I act and react on the day. :s-smilie:

Ask someone to listen to your pres and then ask you questions about it. The answers aren't as important as your composure and the way you respond I've heard. But I've just stopped for a while. Will get back into it on Monday. Interview will probably be on Friday I reckon.
Reply 30
Original post by goku90
Ask someone to listen to your pres and then ask you questions about it. The answers aren't as important as your composure and the way you respond I've heard. But I've just stopped for a while. Will get back into it on Monday. Interview will probably be on Friday I reckon.

My dad offered, but said no as I didn't want to muck it up in front of him lol. It almost seems that as long as I have all the info in my head I do a better job presenting if it's 100% original and I have never presented the material out loud. That probably sounds mad, but it's how I felt after my first interview with all the competency questions where I barely used any of my pre-prepared examples for some bizarre reason. I've been meaning to ask you're applying for the grad scheme 2013 right? In which case what do you have planned for the next year? I'm going to have to get a temp job I reckon to earn some $ if I am lucky enough to get this job.
Reply 31
Original post by M83
My dad offered, but said no as I didn't want to muck it up in front of him lol. It almost seems that as long as I have all the info in my head I do a better job presenting if it's 100% original and I have never presented the material out loud. That probably sounds mad, but it's how I felt after my first interview with all the competency questions where I barely used any of my pre-prepared examples for some bizarre reason. I've been meaning to ask you're applying for the grad scheme 2013 right? In which case what do you have planned for the next year? I'm going to have to get a temp job I reckon to earn some $ if I am lucky enough to get this job.

Lol that's weird I'm constantly saying things out loud to myself, definitely helps for me. I'm doing an MSc in Finance, hopefully it will help me progress to investment management which is what I would really like to do. Why don't you ask Deloutte if they will sponsor you for doing some of your ACA exams in June 2013, you'll qualify quicker then
Reply 32
Original post by goku90
Why don't you ask Deloutte if they will sponsor you for doing some of your ACA exams in June 2013, you'll qualify quicker then

Have you heard of anyone successfully doing that?
Reply 33
Original post by goku90
Lol that's weird I'm constantly saying things out loud to myself, definitely helps for me. I'm doing an MSc in Finance, hopefully it will help me progress to investment management which is what I would really like to do. Why don't you ask Deloutte if they will sponsor you for doing some of your ACA exams in June 2013, you'll qualify quicker then

Ha, I guess I do sort of go over it a lot in my head. I'm still debating on whether I'll be taking in a sheet of bullet points for myself - I've been told I can. I may not even need to refer to the sheet at all, but we'll see.

Hmm, that's an interesting idea. If I get the job for next year I'll be sure to ask. Sounds like a good idea as I know salary increases with professional qualifications.
Reply 34
Original post by matthewrgb
Have you heard of anyone successfully doing that?

Nope. Was just an idea I had before taking the masters
Reply 35
OK, I just talked out loud to myself for part of the presentation and going under the 5min sure as heck doesn't seem like it will be the problem. I think if anything I just need to be concise. I may even look at my watch before it starts and try and get as close to 5minutes as possible. The last guy timed my interview anyway, so they may do the same for me. I just need a set of bullet points in front of me to prevent me from waffling too much I feel!
Reply 36
Original post by goku90
Nope. Was just an idea I had before taking the masters

I'm going to bring that idea up with the partner in my final interview, as I've seen for the ACA examinations one can do them independently also. I will ask whether the partner thinks this would be a good idea. I reckon it's a good final question to ask as it shows you are proactive and want to get ahead in the business world! Any news yet regarding your final interview? I'm getting excited/nervous now as it's not far away now and it'll all be over for me (either way)!

Original post by acsh
Hey guys, wanted your advice.

I've been invited to take a verbal test by Deloitte. How many of the questions did you answer on the test?

I think there were about 20 in all. You get given about 4-5 different passages to read with 4-5 questions on each. It's the easiest of all the tests and i'm sure you'll be fine.
Reply 37
Final interview tomorrow! Getting slightly more nervous now!
Reply 38
ARGH! Don't believe it. Interview has been delayed by 8 days due to the interviewer having an emergency. Another 7 days to worry haha!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by M83
ARGH! Don't believe it. Interview has been delayed by 8 days due to the interviewer having an emergency. Another 7 days to worry haha!

What a surprise.... It's been 3 weeks and nothing after calling and emailing everyday

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending