The Student Room Group

Information Technology Management for Business

Is anyone planning on doing this course? Or maybe someone is already doing it? What are your opinions guys?
Reply 1
Original post by Erykwidday
Is anyone planning on doing this course? Or maybe someone is already doing it? What are your opinions guys?

Hello,

Firstly, a massive apology for taking so long to reply to you, I saw these thread a couple of weeks back but have just been too busy to type up the long and informative reply i'm sure you're after, (gives a good indication as to how much hard work the course is LOL).

As you've probably guessed, I study the 4 year placement option ITMB course at Loughborough University. I'm in my first year and have been on the course for exactly a month today! Loughborough wasn't my first choice, that was Exeter but unfortunately I didn't make the grades to get in. I absolutely love it here at Loughborough though, the course is very well delivered and i'm extremely pleased with the help and support i've recieved. Obviously, all of my experiences are going to be based on my time here but the course structure will be about the same at any of the 14 universities that offer it across the country.

The degree course is endorsed by e-skills UK who are the technology consultants to the Government. The degree was designed around the requirements of a number of big employers, not just IT firms, the likes of banks, supermarkets and airlines come to mind as comapnies who are involved in the degree. You can get a full list of the companies and the universities that offer the degree by searching e-skills UK on the net.

The course is primiarily a variation of a 'Computing and Management' degree, (it will likely be called something different at each university) but to get the endorsement by e-skills and the added benefits that come with that you need to be looking to study ITMB specifically at one of the 14 universities that offer the degree.

The modules you would study in the first year range from programming x2, databases and essential skills from the computing side and modules along the lines of quantitative methods, accounting and organisational behavior/work psychology. The modules covered are good as they give you a good grounding knowledge of the main CompSci and Business principles without going into too much depth on anything, meaning you get a good breath of knowledge which is what employers are looking for in graduates. Most universities offer a placement year in industry in your 3rd year in whcih tuition fees are very low and the average wage is around £15000 for the year. Not only does this give you a good opporunity to earn money but also to gain experience in your chosen field before you even graduate and start looking for those first jobs.

E-skills UK, the founders of the degree, also have a series of 'Guru lectures' where you will get managers from big well known companies (we've had HP and Accenture already this year) come into your university (or you'll watch it via video link transmitted from another university) to give you an outline of what they do in their jobs and hints and tips on how to make the most out of your degree. They also hold a number of careers fairs and practice assessment centres to help you in your technique for finding work after you graduate. Take a look at the ITMB section of the E-skills website and you'll get a good idea what it's all about.

Sorry about the long and rambling reply, but I assumed that you wanted as much detail as possible so that you could make the best choice. As you can probably tell, I absolutely love the course and despite thinking about not coming to university during my summer, I haven't looked back since. If you have any other questions please feel free to post them in here quoting me or PM me. :smile:

Dave
Reply 2
Thanks a lot for your response didn't expect anyone to give me such an in depth reply:smile:
I've actually already applied for this course at Loughborough and few other unis, and I've got one more question, what was your experience with interviews like, did it seem challenging or is it more general to see whether you actually know anything about the course? I'm confident that I want to study this, but I find it hard to show my suitability for the course.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Erykwidday
Thanks a lot for your response didn't expect anyone to give me such an in depth reply:smile:
I've actually already applied for this course at Loughborough and few other unis, and I've got one more question, what was your experience with interviews like, did it seem challenging or is it more general to see whether you actually know anything about the course? I'm confident that I want to study this, but I find it hard to show my suitability for the course.

No worries :smile:

I applied to Loughborough, Exeter, Aston, Sussex and the University of Birmingham (the last two were non-ITMB, but similar courses) and received five straight offers without any interviews. Birmingham did invite me for a post-offer interview but that wasn't mandatory. As far as I know, most Unis don't interview for this course, this may have changed in the last year but I wouldn't be too worried.

If you are called for an interview, it'll just be giving you a chance to expand on the points raised in your personal statement so my advice would be to make sure that you know it inside out and can elaborate on all the details within it. Other than that, answer any questions truthfully and fully. Uni interviews are normally the first interview that people attend and interviewers know this so it should be relatively relaxed.

Hope this helps some more, any questions just give me a shout! :smile:
Reply 4
I hope to do this course at Manchester. I was wondering how many females are on the course because apparently there isn't a lot. Also is there anyone else doing this course with a industrial placement?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending