The Student Room Group

Universities in Hong Kong Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by mangocheung
I am going to apply HKU(medicine)...I am doing GCE AL and predicted grade A*A*A*A*A*
I also apply oxford(chemistry), i think it's much harder to get offer from HKU!!!
By the way I have no idea about my ps to HKU, what type of student is tutors looking for? academic one or social one?

I think they prefer academic students more...
I live in Hong Kong so we get people from HKU coming to our school all the time and I'd say with those credentials you're almost certain to get an offer. But I do say almost because there's an increasing number of people with similar scores applying so you'll want to make sure your personal statement really makes you stand out. It should be very well written and well structured and get straight to the point. They encourage you to focus more on why you're passionate about the subject you're applying for and just add in a bit about your extracurriculars but be sure to relate those back to your subject.
best of luck!
Original post by mangocheung
I am going to apply HKU(medicine)...I am doing GCE AL and predicted grade A*A*A*A*A*
I also apply oxford(chemistry), i think it's much harder to get offer from HKU!!!
By the way I have no idea about my ps to HKU, what type of student is tutors looking for? academic one or social one?

Academic definitely, you'll want to write about what makes you passionate about your subject and if you have any extracurriculars don't just list them all, talk about the ones related to your subject and why they aided your studies and stuff. They want to know you're committed and passionate.
Original post by jayWWWW
I think they prefer academic students more...

Thank you!:biggrin:
are you an applicant to hku?
seems that you also do GCE. is it quite difficult to get an interview?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Sergeant Pepper
Academic definitely, you'll want to write about what makes you passionate about your subject and if you have any extracurriculars don't just list them all, talk about the ones related to your subject and why they aided your studies and stuff. They want to know you're committed and passionate.

thanks, your reply does help:-)
it is said that we should write why we apply hku in our ps…is it necessary?

I live in Hong Kong as well so I thought I'd add my two cents.

For predicted grades- don't stress about them. Usually most offers given out by HK universities are really late in the cycle (we're talking summer's-almost-over offers) and so usually by then if you're doing an international program (like the IB) you already have your results, and they'll base it on that. I didn't do A-levels or GCE, so I can't speak for those.

For medicine- don't rule out CUHK as an option just because "HKU's reputation is better". CU are apparently attached to a better hospital for practical training, and the lifestyle may be a little less cutthroat and a little more fun. Really, it's up to you though.

As for the student population- often it can section itself off into "local" and "non-local". I'm well aware that this may happen at a majority of universities but it's also something that you may want to consider in terms of student life.
Reply 26
Original post by timedotmp3
I live in Hong Kong as well so I thought I'd add my two cents.

For predicted grades- don't stress about them. Usually most offers given out by HK universities are really late in the cycle (we're talking summer's-almost-over offers) and so usually by then if you're doing an international program (like the IB) you already have your results, and they'll base it on that. I didn't do A-levels or GCE, so I can't speak for those.

For medicine- don't rule out CUHK as an option just because "HKU's reputation is better". CU are apparently attached to a better hospital for practical training, and the lifestyle may be a little less cutthroat and a little more fun. Really, it's up to you though.

As for the student population- often it can section itself off into "local" and "non-local". I'm well aware that this may happen at a majority of universities but it's also something that you may want to consider in terms of student life.

I'm from HK as well, but I'm sure for medicine, HKU is the best in Hong Kong undoubtedly.
I would try Harvard with those credentials

Original post by HayThereMardyBum
I would try Harvard with those credentials

I am! :smile:

But Asian/UK universities look at things much more differently than US unis, so I'm just checking.
Reply 29
Wow impressive extracurriculars!
Reply 30
I finished my online document uploading for the fast track application for HKU and will be applying for HKUST soon.

My 1st choice for HKU is BBA and HKUST is global business.

I also do the IB, and am predicted 41/45. (I'm Korean, and study in a British international school in the Philippines)
HL:
English A Language and Literature - predicted 6
Music - predicted 7
Economics - predicted 6

SL:
Maths - predicted 7
Spanish Ab Initio - predicted 7
Environmental Systems and Societies - predicted 6

Bonus points (EE and TOK) - 2
So 41 points out of 45 points.

Can you guys give me an idea on my chances?

I'm currently a prefect and house captain of our school, I initiated and am leading a service that teaches music to the orphans for 4 years. I organise charity concerts and got them their own instruments and music practice room inside the orphanage centre. I'm part of our school orchestra (as a conductor and flutist), the jazz band and the rockband as a drummer. I am also part of the school's debate varsity and attend national MUN conferences.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by lemonbee
I finished my online document uploading for the fast track application for HKU and will be applying for HKUST soon.

My 1st choice for HKU is BBA and HKUST is global business.

I also do the IB, and am predicted 41/45. (I'm Korean, and study in a British international school in the Philippines)
HL:
English A Language and Literature - predicted 6
Music - predicted 7
Economics - predicted 6

SL:
Maths - predicted 7
Spanish Ab Initio - predicted 7
Environmental Systems and Societies - predicted 6

Bonus points (EE and TOK) - 2
So 41 points out of 45 points.

Can you guys give me an idea on my chances?

I'm currently a prefect and house captain of our school, I initiated and am leading a service that teaches music to the orphans for 4 years. I organise charity concerts and got them their own instruments and music practice room inside the orphanage centre. I'm part of our school orchestra (as a conductor and flutist), the jazz band and the rockband as a drummer. I am also part of the school's debate varsity and attend national MUN conferences.

If you applied for BBA/BBA(Acc) then you're in, as long as you have good statements and references. I can guarantee you 100% that you will get an offer for the normal BBA program, if you made that your first choice.

If you applied for the other BBA programs, it's much more of a crapshoot. Especially if you applied for BBA Law or IBGM: then you probably won't get in, considering your subject choices.

As for HKUST's G Business....your chances are much worse. While the offers are usually in the 38-40 range, most people I know applied with 42-44. And your subject choices are kind of weak for GBus. You have an average-below average chance for GBus. I would apply for the normal BBA program at HKUST, then transfer to G Bus in the second year, which would be much easier for you than direct entry.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 32
Hi, I was wondering whether anyone has heard of the course "Quantitative Finance" in University of Hong Kong. Do you know the IB requirement? and will the maths be very hard? Thank you very much !
bump!
Reply 34
Original post by lifeisgood.
If you applied for BBA/BBA(Acc) then you're in, as long as you have good statements and references. I can guarantee you 100% that you will get an offer for the normal BBA program, if you made that your first choice.

If you applied for the other BBA programs, it's much more of a crapshoot. Especially if you applied for BBA Law or IBGM: then you probably won't get in, considering your subject choices.

As for HKUST's G Business....your chances are much worse. While the offers are usually in the 38-40 range, most people I know applied with 42-44. And your subject choices are kind of weak for GBus. You have an average-below average chance for GBus. I would apply for the normal BBA program at HKUST, then transfer to G Bus in the second year, which would be much easier for you than direct entry.

I applied IBGM as my 1st choice:s-smilie:
Hope they will give me an opportunity to interview
Reply 35
Thanks for this reply! It really helped. :smile: Well actually HKU is my first choice of university so I really do wanna get in. I actually finished applying to HKU for the fast track. Do you think i'll be able to get an offer by December? Cause I heard they really dont accept many fast track applicants. Would I be pushed to the main round?

And thanks for the advise on HKUST. I'm going to apply mid-november so i think ill take your advise, BBA as first choice and then move to G Business second year.

:smile:

Original post by lifeisgood.

Original post by Wim
Would you say it is harder to get in than Oxbridge?

No way! In my opinion, even MBBS LLB are still way easier to get an offer from hku/ cu. My friends who applied for mbbs last year (some with no medic work experience at all) still got offers.

The only problem is actually achieving the offers. My friends all got offers stating 285 UMS from 3 subjects (MBBS). Whilst for CU it was easier, simply 3 passes in AS.

I'm not sure how different it is if you apply in the A2 year but what I'm saying here is that, HKU / CU are not as difficult as you think.
Reply 37
Anyone else applying for Computer Science? I'm currently in the process of applying as an exchange student for my year abroad programme.
Reply 38
Actually it's quite easy to receive offers from HK unis via non-jupas. I know someone who was predicted A*AA and got an offer (AAB only) from HKU science(6901). Only subjects like MBBS, LLB and actuarial science at HKU; Medicine, IFAA and global business at CU; Global Business at HKUST are competitive. Overall, Oxbridge (competitive subjects) > Imperial/LSE/UCL (competitive subjects) = HK Big 3 (listed above) competitive subjects .......
Reply 39
Is there a chance to get an offer even if I don't meet the entrance requirements? :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending