The Student Room Group

Southampton or Nottingham - Student Experience?

I know Nottingham is meant to be more prestigious but skipping the excellence of teaching, league tables, employment etc. (since both are very good) lets talk about actual STUDENT EXPERIENCE xD

What is it actually like living there? (practicality)

- How close to shops? shopping centre? transport? nearest town/city (what is it like?), nearest big town/city with clubs/nightlife? campus feel? people?

Anything you got throw it at me! :wink:
Neither.
I am from Southampton, but I study at Nottingham.

The city of Nottingham is so much more cultured and boutiquey, lots of little nooks and corners of independent shops and history. The council building is stunning.

Southampton has the Bargate but that is it. It was bombed heavily during the war and thus no nice buildings remain.

In terms of nights out, Southampton is great, all the studenty clubs are right next to each other, in an area called 'Bedford', about 15 bars/clubs with 100m square.

Nottingham is supposedly good but I haven't been out clubbing much. There are so any bars around though that it has to be!

The crux is the university though, and the Park campus at Nottingham is a dream, which makes your choice a no brainer :biggrin:

What course you wanting to take?

P.S. Winchester is near Southampton, and that is olde worldy and nice, about 10 miles away.
Reply 3
I want to study psychology. :biggrin:
I have been to Notts on an open day and the campus looks amazing although the psychology building is a let down.
Also all the self catered accomodation is slightly outside the campus and the room I saw was so small and expensive (nearly £130 per week, it was en suit tho) Also we went to explore the city by car and a lot of the places looked quite bad. These are my only reservations. :s-smilie: although I loved everything else about it! :smile:
I've never been to Southampton so I cant compare the two. :frown:
Original post by JuliaABlu
I want to study psychology. :biggrin:
I have been to Notts on an open day and the campus looks amazing although the psychology building is a let down.
Also all the self catered accomodation is slightly outside the campus and the room I saw was so small and expensive (nearly £130 per week, it was en suit tho) Also we went to explore the city by car and a lot of the places looked quite bad. These are my only reservations. :s-smilie: although I loved everything else about it! :smile:
I've never been to Southampton so I cant compare the two. :frown:

It would be difficult to explore Nottingham in a car, it has so many nice side streets and squares you can't get to in a car. Hockley is a nice area, up the road from the posh Lace market (where I live :biggrin:).

I pay £800 rent with my girlfriend, which is 400 each. I speak to people eveyday in halls paying more than this and it is not solely a Nottingham thing. I think Halls are over priced wherever you go, and with Southampton being in the south I would anticipate them being more expensive than Notts.
Reply 5
Ahhhh thanks I think I will go for Nottingham :biggrin:
Theres just something about it that I love. :wink:
Reply 6
For the student experience, it depends on what you want. If it is culture, etc. then there is plenty in the neighbouring Winchester. If it's night life, then Southampton offers some of the best "clubs" with £1 doubles and 50p pints. You really can't go wrong with Sobar or Jesters.

Also Southampton is more central than Nottingham, and so everything is in walking distance. I've been to Nottingham a few times and you definitely need the bus or a taxi.

As for the actual city centres, Nottingham is nicer overall, but Ocean Village in Southampton is amazing.

If you're obsessed about aesthetics, though, then Southampton isn't for you. Half the buildings are nice and either traditionally old or very new, whereas the other half are concrete blocks from the 70s. They have all been refurbished on the inside, however. In my opinion, though, the actual buildings doesn't impact on your education or your social life. But if you're going to be upset for studying in what is essentially a 70s concrete block, then stay away.
Reply 7
Original post by JuliaABlu
Ahhhh thanks I think I will go for Nottingham :biggrin:
Theres just something about it that I love. :wink:

I'm studying psychology at Nottingham at the moment (in my first year) and I love it! Campus is beautiful, the psych building is much better inside :P there are brilliant bus links to the city centre but if you just want amenities Beeston is a town not far from the west entrance (where I live now). I think I saw you post about Albion house so you'd literally be next door to the town centre which has a few shops, butchers, grocers plus a huge tesco, sainsburys, Iceland and lidl :smile: it really is lovely. Best decision I made was to study here I think!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 8
Original post by hjradley1
I'm studying psychology at Nottingham at the moment (in my first year) and I love it! Campus is beautiful, the psych building is much better inside :P there are brilliant bus links to the city centre but if you just want amenities Beeston is a town not far from the west entrance (where I live now). I think I saw you post about Albion house so you'd literally be next door to the town centre which has a few shops, butchers, grocers plus a huge tesco, sainsburys, Iceland and lidl :smile: it really is lovely. Best decision I made was to study here I think!

Thanks :smile: If I get in I am definitely applying to Albion House :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending