The Student Room Group

do you go to all girls/boys school?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Only ever been to a mixed school. I've never regretted it. Some of my best friends are guys, and in the end guys end up just being more mates! It's good fun. I don't think I would cope at an all-girls school.
I'm at an all girls now. From year 8 to Year 11 it was literally the bitchiest place ever and sometimes I wished I was at a mixed cos it would be a less bitchy atmosphere if boys were around. But now we're at sixth form i don't think people have enough time to gossip and bad-talk others so it's not been much of an issue now.

And yeah I haven't developed any social skills through single-sex education so i haven't had a proper long convo with a guy in years! I'm dreading when I go to Uni, being around boys will feel so weird!
Reply 42
I've been to both a mixed school and an all girls' school, I enjoyed both :smile: what matters for me is how well you fit in at any school, mixed or not.
I went to an all boys school.

I think it was great, whilst the first few years were a bit rough and tumble, by the last few years everyone was on great terms with eachother and social life was great. We were united against a common enemy.

Some of the other bonuses -

- We could randomly shout "Chair fight" and have a fantastic all out brawl without worrying about the girls getting in the way
- We could get being crass and rude out of our system, then proceed to the local girls school with good manners
- We could be as cool or as geeky as we wanted, because there were no girls around to judge it. There were no 'Tough kids' or 'losers'.

However, someone did point out to me that school is where we learn real world practices. I found that I was fair in my hiring, I didn't feel sexist. Yet I worry sometimes if going to an all boys school does at some level leave me with sexist tendencies.
Reply 44
Original post by lizz-ie
:O I'm pretty sure I go to the same school as you and I think I know you! So yeah, hi :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Yes, we go to the same school. However, I can't figure out who you are.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by Rasceta
Yes, we go to the same school. However, I can't figure out who you are.

Do you go to any clubs or societies or something?

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by lizz-ie
Do you go to any clubs or societies or something?

Yes I do. Do you?
Original post by emily_something
i go to an all girls school. i have been thinking recently whether or not i would of liked to go a mixed school or not (not that my parents asked me where i wanted to go after primary school :smile: ). the biggest disadvantage is obviously not getting to know anyone from the opposite sex.

do you like going to an all girls/boys school or you would of prefared to go to mixed school?

do you think you would send your kids to mixed school?

Em

I used to go to a mixed school, but now I go to a girls school.
If you are really social-able, you'd get to know boys without needing to go to a mixed school.
But either ways, if you did go to a mixed school, and didn't like to socialize, it'd be quite difficult to get to know boys I guess..

Its distracting going to a mixed school LOL xD

Edit: I'd send my children to a good school, and not base my decision on whether it was mixed or not :P
Reply 48
Original post by Rasceta
Yes I do. Do you?

Yes.

Everyone in an all girls school knows that everyone can be unbelievably bitchy, but I think our classes work better as single-sex, and although there are some serious bitches I have amazing friends here :smile: I'm going to stay here for sixth form, because I like it here and the teachers are good.

Mostly, by sixth form, the people in my school have toned down the bitchiness :biggrin:

I go to an all boys' school. Inevitably, when people found this out in Primary 7 I got the standard, "Ermahgerd an all boys school are you gaaaay?!" (the school I go to is in a neighbouring city/town.) I've really enjoyed going to the school but have often thought about whether or not I'd have gone to a mix-sexed school. Still, there's an all girls' school next to our's and a few A-Level classes are shared. (Including French, which I'm taking and is incredibly unpopular at our school but popular over there resulting in a lot of girls/ not so many boys) :cool:

So to summarise:

All boys' school: good
A-Level French: better
Reply 51
I went to a all girls school for secondary school, but now I go to mixed sixth form.
I think some people may get distracted by the opposite sex and perhaps not focus...at sixth form people are - generally - more mature than loads of 'boyfriend/girlfriend' nonsense. I thought when I was at a single sex school that I would find it hard to work with boys - but I don't.:h: I probably would send my kids to a mixed school - depend what was classed as a good school in the area:redface:
I go to an all girls school. The most common question you seem to get is "so which are you-a slut or a lesbian?" :bebored:
Original post by TenOfThem
Sent my kids to a mixed but now my daughter is at an all Boys for sixth form

Your daughter is at an all Boys? :lolwut:
Original post by justinawe
Your daughter is at an all Boys? :lolwut:

yeah

as with many single sex they take some mixed in sixth
I went to a boys school from 3-16. Then changed to a mixed school. It has been a hard transition as i find it very hard to talk to girls. I personally really enjoyed single sex education. There was so much banter and equality. However a mixed school is good as it prepares one for a life of not being socially awkward as i am (lol).
Personally, i will definately send my child to a single sex school as it is fun but less social. I never want to be too comfortable around the opposite sex as it will be a distraction. I am not intending on offending anyone. This is soley my opinion lol. If you disagree then please comment.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TenOfThem
yeah

as with many single sex they take some mixed in sixth

Ah, I see.
Mixed school up till year 8. All girls school from year 9 until now (sixth form) :smile:
I go to an highly all girls grammar and it not bitchy at all . In fact its the most supportive and caring place ive even been. Everybody really different but we are still really close (other than the few arguments between the years).
Reply 59
I go to an all girls school and have done since year 8. Thankfully my school isn't really bitchy. I love it, i can focus in class, its relaxed, no makeup ,whatever! Most boys in my areas go to all boy schools and thats just how it is really haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending