The Student Room Group

Physics Challenge

Hi all,

I'm being entered for the Year 11 Physics Challenge exam next Wednesday afternoon and I'm after example questions, but I can't seem to find any. Anybody else doing the challenge and has got a place I can get them on the net?

Our school gave us last year's paper to have a go at but nothing else. I want more! Apparently, the questions are GCSE A* to AS-level difficulty in terms of thinking required, and all based on things we learn at GCSE. So if anybody knows anywhere where I can get questions of a similar standard, please help!

thanks,

Oh, and good luck to other people being entered for it.
Reply 1
Would that be the British Physics Olympiad?
Reply 2
mik1a
Would that be the British Physics Olympiad?

Nah, something called Physics Challenge they're entering us for.

The Olympiad was for Sixth Formers and was a while ago.
Reply 3
You are lucky. When we did this, we didn't even get this. just memorise some basic formulaes and apply them to tricky situations.
Reply 4
it shouldn't be difficult, as you said, it's year 11 stuff....
elpaw
it shouldn't be difficult, as you said, it's year 11 stuff....

Our school never informed us about this. :mad:
Reply 6
bono
Our school never informed us about this. :mad:

ive never even heard of it. i think its like a maths cahllenge, only physical
Reply 7
thefish_uk
Hi all,

I'm being entered for the Year 11 Physics Challenge exam next Wednesday afternoon and I'm after example questions, but I can't seem to find any. Anybody else doing the challenge and has got a place I can get them on the net?

Our school gave us last year's paper to have a go at but nothing else. I want more! Apparently, the questions are GCSE A* to AS-level difficulty in terms of thinking required, and all based on things we learn at GCSE. So if anybody knows anywhere where I can get questions of a similar standard, please help!

thanks,

It's funny never heard of it hear..
But when i was abroad for a year as a foreigner they used me for all theeir challenges and stuff!
Reply 8
elpaw
ive never even heard of it. i think its like a maths cahllenge, only physical

Yeah. There are certificates like Gold, Silver and Bronze, just like with maths challenge.
Reply 9
im being entered for this along with the ten 'top' physicists in my year. we have last year's paper. one of the questions involves a stroboscope. now what on earth is that??
Reply 10
thefish_uk
Hi all,

thanks,

ah the physics challenge the whole of our class was entered into it, it was kinda hard, as i had no interest inphysics at all
Reply 11
Undry1
im being entered for this along with the ten 'top' physicists in my year. we have last year's paper. one of the questions involves a stroboscope. now what on earth is that??

It's a light that flashes on and off very fast, like several times a second. They're used in discos and stuff, but can also be used scientifically.

If the disc has 10 slits in and rotates at 2 Hz (that's 2 times a second) you get 20 flashes of light a second. And if each point gets a wave meeting it 20 times a second, that means that each time the light flashes (and you can see the waves) they will be in the same position so the waves look stationary.
I have it on Monday. My friend did it yesterday (and no, I didn't ask him what was in it). I looked at the first 2 as well as the last question of last year's paper and they seemed pretty easy. Definitely a lot simpler than the maths challenges.
Reply 13
I've never heard of it, we don't have it at my school...

Latest

Trending

Trending