The Student Room Group

Lost all motivation to work.

It has happened.

I have hit the wall!

I started off so well, I was working a little bit every night to make sure I understood concepts and everything, but now I've hit the wall and Im finding it hard to maintain my work rate.

Any tips on how to get back into it?
Reply 1
I assume this is about AS levels.

Look, AS levels are always the hardest, you get the shock from GCSE, harder work and an increased workload. For me, in order to cope I was forced to 'mentally drop' one of my AS levels to focus on my other 3. This meant turning up to lessons but little else. This allowed me to prioritize my work from home and made things a whole lot easier.

You need to keep going an DO NOT give up. It may seem hard now but if you survive this year A2 will be a doddle.

Keep working from the textbook and (I personally) copy out my notes from class at home and you will be fine.
Reply 2
Original post by m rowe29
I assume this is about AS levels.

Look, AS levels are always the hardest, you get the shock from GCSE, harder work and an increased workload. For me, in order to cope I was forced to 'mentally drop' one of my AS levels to focus on my other 3. This meant turning up to lessons but little else. This allowed me to prioritize my work from home and made things a whole lot easier.

You need to keep going an DO NOT give up. It may seem hard now but if you survive this year A2 will be a doddle.

Keep working from the textbook and (I personally) copy out my notes from class at home and you will be fine.

Cheers.

Yeah, AS levels but I took a year our after GCSEs so Im even less used to the work load haha.

I prioritise chemistry over my others because atm it just requires more effort.
Everything else is lacking. I dont plan on giving up, I just want to be able to get home and make myself do work.

I'll try it in bursts!

Thanks for the advice.
Reply 3
I was in a similar position to you and it took until I got my January results before I got a wake up call. Don't let the same happen to you it's so much more pressure with re-sits and stuff. Just try and stick to a set routine of revision. If you need any help with Chemistry/Biology/Psychology give me a message and I should be able to help :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
What worked for me (and it's a little crude to mention in this topic, but I'll tell you anyway) was I got a girl to place me in an electric spiked chastity tube, and she'd threaten to shock my balls if I were ever not doing my maths revision. And, according to my grades, it appeared to have worked wonders.

Now, I'd probably recommend not doing that if you're into having your balls under complete control 24/7, but try to find some source of motivation somewhere, and keep telling yourself that your work will pay off eventually. You need to get into the habit of living, breathing and excreting exam papers.
Reply 5
A similar thing happened to me during A2 year because I started to find the work pretty boring. You have to think long term. Yes, you will have to commit to spending quite a lot of time studying dry and boring material, but this will pay off if you do it well. It doesn't matter what you want to do afterwards, really, good grades will prove very much worth the time you put in now. It's possible to combine a heavy workload with a decent social life if you minimize the amount of time you spend doing fairly pointless things, e.g. the internet.
Reply 6
Original post by lsaul95
It has happened.

I have hit the wall!

I started off so well, I was working a little bit every night to make sure I understood concepts and everything, but now I've hit the wall and Im finding it hard to maintain my work rate.

Any tips on how to get back into it?

do you have xbox
Reply 7
Original post by ThomasD96
do you have xbox

I do not :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest