The Student Room Group

Top 10 bands of the 21st century

So, I know we're only almost 13 years into this century but I thought it would be interesting to see everyone's opinion on what bands are on top so far.

In the list of 10, the band can also be from the 20th century however the music based on your choice must be from this century - e.g. you could pick Oasis but only based on Heathen Chemistry etc. songs rather than Definitely Maybe etc. songs, or Radiohead but based on In Rainbows etc. tunes rather than OK Computor songs.

Also would be good to see people's opinions rather than what they feel 'should be there' because everyone else likes them. :smile:

My list:
1. Tame Impala
2. Radiohead
3. The Horrors (evolved from punk to experimental rock)
4. TV On The Radio
5. The Black Keys
6. Gorillaz
7. The White Stripes
8. The Chemical Brothers
9. Outkast
10. Muse

Wanted to include Arctic Monkeys, Interpol, Girls, Kings Of Leon, Fugazi and Daft Punk here too but ah well.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Love, Love the top 3!

I'll put mine up in a bit :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by benpearson1
Love, Love the top 3!

I'll put mine up in a bit :smile:

Thanks :smile: I might be going to see Tame Impala at the end of October :biggrin:
Original post by glousck
Thanks :smile: I might be going to see Tame Impala at the end of October :biggrin:

Really, where?

Wow, I didn't know they were even doing a tour! Might have a look, is it UK? Me and my friend are big fans, can't wait for the new record :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by benpearson1
Really, where?

Wow, I didn't know they were even doing a tour! Might have a look, is it UK? Me and my friend are big fans, can't wait for the new record :biggrin:

02 Academy in Brixton on the 30th October :smile: I think they're doing a couple of dates in Manchester and somewhere else as well.

I know, I can't wait! I managed to resist the temptation of the online leak haha
Reply 5
1. Arctic Monkeys
2. Arcade Fire
3. The Strokes
4. Daft Punk
5. Justice
6. Them Crooked Vultures
7. Feeder
8. Eagles Of Death Metal
9. Yeah Yeahs Yeahs
10. The Libertines

Probably missing a few, but oh well :tongue:
Reply 6
Gonna name solo artists as well.

Burial
Modeselektor
The Shins
Radiohead
Daft Punk
Trentemoller
Bonobo
Lemon Jelly
Arctic Monkeys
The Avalanches

There's a few others i can think of who are good enough but need to show more material to prove themselves.
Reply 7
Muse
Arctic Monkeys
Radiohead
Foo Fighters
Biffy Clyro
The Subways
Mumford & Sons
Kings of Leon
The White Stripes
Keane
Reply 8
In no particular order:

Arcade Fire
The National
Alt-J (Only one album so far I know, but its one of the best I've heard for a few years so I think they deserve a place on the list)
Radiohead (Yes I think the post-2000 rh is fantastic as well as the pre-2000 rh if anyone wonders)
Muse
The National
Kings of Leon (Until Sex on Fire)
Kasabian
Elbow
White Lies
(edited 11 years ago)
In no particular order, also:

Arcade Fire
Kasabian
Tame Impala
The Killers
The White Stripes
Sigur Ros
Daft Punk
Interpol
Massive Attack
Franz Ferdinand
Reply 10
Muse
The Black Keys
Wolfmother
Sigur Ros

And pretty much all the other bands I love are from days long past. :frown:
I'd like to point out that by calling this thread just 'Top 10 Bands of the 21st Century', anyone could say any band at all for any reason.
Maybe a better title would have been 'Top 10 Inspirational/ground-breaking etc. bands of the 21st Century'.

For this reason I have chosen 10 bands for specific reasons to try and add context to this thread.

In no particular order...

1. Nickelback
2. Radiohead
3. Korn
4. Green Day
5. Marilyn Manson
6. Skrillex
7. Versailles
8. Dir En Grey
9. X Japan
10. Yohio
Reply 12
Original post by adsm_inamorta
I'd like to point out that by calling this thread just 'Top 10 Bands of the 21st Century', anyone could say any band at all for any reason.
Maybe a better title would have been 'Top 10 Inspirational/ground-breaking etc. bands of the 21st Century'.

For this reason I have chosen 10 bands for specific reasons to try and add context to this thread.

But that's the point. Whilst you have your reasons for calling those 10 artists groundbreaking/inspirational/amazing, other people will have their own reasons for the inclusions of artists on their lists. I mentioned in the OP to include bands because you liked them rather than what you thought should be there. For example The Strokes were instrumental in developing the sound of indie rock throughout the 00's, however I didn't put them in my list because I find them derivate of far superior 70's post-punk bands such as Television and Magazine and can't always understand the lyrics because Casablancas voice is made fuzzy by the producer. Meanwhilst, a band I did put on ym list, The Black Keys, aren't exactly doing anything that hasn't done before but along with BRMC were responsible for the early-mid 00's blues rock revival and I've enjoyed listening to them until 4 or 5am, not wanting to fall asleep because it sounded so good to me.

So I think it would be too specific to change to thread to inspirational or ground-breaking artists, also due to the fact that in the 21st century a lot of bands, though excellent, take inspiration from earlier bands and sounds and so it's difficult to say if many bands have been groundbreaking. On top of that, 'inspirational' doesn't matter either, Tame Impala are amazing but I've only heard a couple of bands mildly influenced by them, and many of these contain members of Tame Impala! :lol: So I think 'top bands of the 21st century' is the best title for the purpose, because on the first look you automatically think of bands you'd put in but then you realise the sheer amount of genres and bands there have been so far, so it's not as straightforward as it first seems.
Reply 13

1. Nickelback
2. Radiohead
3. Korn
4. Green Day
5. Marilyn Manson
6. Skrillex
7. Versailles
8. Dir En Grey
9. X Japan
10. Yohio

Radiohead are probably the only inspirational band on that list...

1. Nickelback
2. Radiohead
3. Korn
4. Green Day
5. Marilyn Manson
6. Skrillex
7. Versailles
8. Dir En Grey
9. X Japan
10. Yohio

Disgraceful list (bar Radiohead, ofc).
My list..:

1) Radiohead
2) The Strokes
3) The Horrors
4) Tame Impala
5) Deerhunter
6) Portishead
7) BEAK>
8) Arctic Monkeys
9) Foo Fighters
10) The xx

Anyone on the list has released something noteworthy this decade.

It was a real struggle to come up with that list, which hopefully will tell you a lot of what I think about music since the turn of the century.
Original post by glousck
Television and Magazine

:love:
Arctic Monkeys
The Black Keys
The White Stripes
Muse
The Killers
Franz Ferdinand
MGMT
Noah and the Whale
Foo Fighters
Coldplay

Honourable mentions:
Arcade Fire
The Strokes
Kaiser Chiefs
The Vaccines
Fleet Foxes
Panic! At the Disco
Original post by YMLT
Radiohead are probably the only inspirational band on that list...

Do you even know half the bands on that list?
Reply 19
No Killers? No Coldplay?

Latest