The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance to get into a russell group university with these GCSE results?

please don't be mean, but i've had a rough time during my gcses and my mum forced me to do half of the subjects. so i didn't concentrate that much on them apart from maths and french.

i've got 1 A from maths, 1 B from french (speaking exam let me down, i crying over a problem) and the rest are Cs.

I'm willing to retake my gcses with subjects I love.
Reply 1
GCSE results are pretty irrelevant in university applications as far as I'm aware, but obviously they may reflect how you will do at A level. It also depends on what course you want to do.
Reply 2
GCSEs are useless when it comes to university. Obviously, if you're applying to study maths and you got an E in GCSE maths, that maybe indicates that you're not perfect for the course. But as long as you have Cs or above in all the subjects that require similar skills to your course, they really don't matter.

Universities care about your personal statement and your A-level results, and most want 5 A*-C grades at GCSE, including English and Maths That's about it.

For a Russell Group university, you'll need at least BBB at A-level (and most want at least one A), which is quite high, so your GCSEs could be very useful in choosing your A-level subjects. It might not be wise to choose a subject you only got a C in, for example.

So don't let your GCSE results get you down. As long as you know what you want to do, they won't get in your way.
Reply 3
Original post by naruhime
GCSE results are pretty irrelevant in university applications as far as I'm aware, but obviously they may reflect how you will do at A level. It also depends on what course you want to do.

Original post by dendodge
GCSEs are useless when it comes to university. Obviously, if you're applying to study maths and you got an E in GCSE maths, that maybe indicates that you're not perfect for the course. But as long as you have Cs or above in all the subjects that require similar skills to your course, they really don't matter.

Universities care about your personal statement and your A-level results, and most want 5 A*-C grades at GCSE, including English and Maths That's about it.

For a Russell Group university, you'll need at least BBB at A-level (and most want at least one A), which is quite high, so your GCSEs could be very useful in choosing your A-level subjects. It might not be wise to choose a subject you only got a C in, for example.

So don't let your GCSE results get you down. As long as you know what you want to do, they won't get in your way.

I want to do psychology :frown: and someone said i'm thinking a bit above my standard :redface:
Reply 4
Original post by nemogirl
I want to do psychology :frown: and someone said i'm thinking a bit above my standard :redface:

Well, if you only have your GCSE results at the moment, you don't have much to go on. You don't need to start UCAS until your AS results come through, and you can pick an appropriate course based on those.

Getting into a Russell Group uni is really hard, so don't be disappointed if you don't manage it (I got good GCSE results, and just missed out on a place at York this year). But if you put the effort in, you have a good chance.

I've never studied psychology, but it's hard to work out what your GCSEs say about your suitability for the subject, since it's quite different from anything you'll have done at GCSE (from what I've heard), so I doubt universities will put much weight on them for a psychology course.
Reply 5
Most, (if not all) Russell universities ask for at least a B for GCSE Maths and English. Some prefer an A (Bristol) whilst others demand an A, such as Bath. You'd have to look at individual universities for their GCSE policy.
Reply 6
Yes (not for all though). Your results are similar to my results (A*A*ABBBBBB- I think), and although I'm not at a Russell group university I was given offers for them and would have met the offers for them had I had them as firm so...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending