The Student Room Group

Applying to University with two full A-levels, and two AS levels?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me please with this problem I'm having to face.

I have retook Year 12 as I didn't get the grades required to apply for university. When I retook Year 12, I kept Psychology as I had obtained a B in AS level in that subject, and I picked up Sociology and Politics. I got my exam results, and I had a C overall in Psychology, a B in AS Sociology but I had failed Politics with a C in one module, and a U in the other.

My head of year at sixth form told me I could carry on with Politics, as long as I retook the U grade and bought it up to a C in the exam in January, 2013.
So I attended my Politics lesson for over 3 weeks, until my head of year spoke to me today about how he thinks I'm 'out of my depth' in Politics, and he's took me off the timetable for Politics, and I'm now left to only attend Sociology. I really think it's unfair how he's told me that now, and how I'm stuck in such a difficult situation. I told my brother about it as soon as he picked me up at school, and by this time I was crying, I really think it's screwed up my chances of getting into a decent university. I wanted to do primary teaching, yet I don't know if any universities will accept me to do Education as a degree, with only two full A-levels and two AS levels by the end of sixth form. Is it possible? I think I'll be able to bring the Psychology grade up to a B or A, and the Sociology grade to an A, and if I retake my AS level Politics, I think I'll be able to get a C grade overall in AS Politics, and will ask if I can pick up an extra AS level, so I'll be applying to university with two full A-levels and 2 AS levels.
If I phoned up the university itself, would I be able to explain my circumstances and if they'd be able to consider me?

Please could someone reassure me, or give me any advice please? I'm currently panicking as I really thought I had everything planned out, and now I'm worried I wouldn't be able to get into university. Thank you very much in advance x
(edited 11 years ago)
Sorry, can u please clarify all the grades u will end up with in each subject and what is an A-level and what is AS?
Original post by gunner4lyf44
Sorry, can u please clarify all the grades u will end up with in each subject and what is an A-level and what is AS?

I'm going to retake some exams, and I think I'll be able to obtain the following grades by end of my A-levels:
Sociology - A Level: A
Psychology - A Level: B
Politics - AS Level: C

I'm going to ask to take up an extra AS Level too, such as Business Studies so I'll have an AS grade in that too. Hope this is clear enough x
It depends which universities you apply to. If you're looking at somewhere which bases their offers on UCAS points, then you should be fine. But if you're considering universities which might, perhaps, ask for ABB or BBC for example, then you might have to email them beforehand and explain your situation to see if they might consider you.

I got into the University of Liverpool with two A levels and two AS (ACac), so you never know.
I agree with ^
Original post by StefanieLouise
It depends which universities you apply to. If you're looking at somewhere which bases their offers on UCAS points, then you should be fine. But if you're considering universities which might, perhaps, ask for ABB or BBC for example, then you might have to email them beforehand and explain your situation to see if they might consider you.

I got into the University of Liverpool with two A levels and two AS (ACac), so you never know.

Thank you for the reply! Yeah, I've made a list of universities accepting points system, and I think I'll be okay with that. But the universities that accept grades instead are what I'm worried about. Most of the ones I want to get into have ABB as their entry requirement, and I'm not quite sure if I'll be able to make up for the third B, even if I do get a A and a B x
Original post by too many legs.
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me please with this problem I'm having to face.

I have retook Year 12 as I didn't get the grades required to apply for university. When I retook Year 12, I kept Psychology as I had obtained a B in AS level in that subject, and I picked up Sociology and Politics. I got my exam results, and I had a C overall in Psychology, a B in AS Sociology but I had failed Politics with a C in one module, and a U in the other.

My head of year at sixth form told me I could carry on with Politics, as long as I retook the U grade and bought it up to a C in the exam in January, 2013.
So I attended my Politics lesson for over 3 weeks, until my head of year spoke to me today about how he thinks I'm 'out of my depth' in Politics, and he's took me off the timetable for Politics, and I'm now left to only attend Sociology. I really think it's unfair how he's told me that now, and how I'm stuck in such a difficult situation. I told my brother about it as soon as he picked me up at school, and by this time I was crying, I really think it's screwed up my chances of getting into a decent university. I wanted to do primary teaching, yet I don't know if any universities will accept me to do Education as a degree, with only two full A-levels and two AS levels by the end of sixth form. Is it possible? I think I'll be able to bring the Psychology grade up to a B or A, and the Sociology grade to an A, and if I retake my AS level Politics, I think I'll be able to get a C grade overall in AS Politics, and will ask if I can pick up an extra AS level, so I'll be applying to university with two full A-levels and 2 AS levels.
If I phoned up the university itself, would I be able to explain my circumstances and if they'd be able to consider me?

Please could someone reassure me, or give me any advice please? I'm currently panicking as I really thought I had everything planned out, and now I'm worried I wouldn't be able to get into university. Thank you very much in advance x

i cant really help with your predicament but i have to ask is your username a reference to the tv show 'coupling'? :tongue:
Original post by rattusratus
i cant really help with your predicament but i have to ask is your username a reference to the tv show 'coupling'? :tongue:

Haha, I'm afraid not. I think it's from a song, not quite sure though. Made this account aggggges ago x

Quick Reply

Latest