The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Medical School Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Thanks oxymoronic.

I was looking at their website and I couldnt find anywhere anything about interview dates for graduates...I just want an idea, Could it be as early as November? or as late as March? Any previous applicants?
Hey

So I am an EB (European Bac.) applicant so I am a bit of a funny case, as we aren't super common :frown: Does anyone know of anyone who took the Bac who got accepted to Edinburgh? And what grades, extra-curriculars they had? Just worried- nobody from my school applied to Edinburgh for medicine before :/
Original post by _Julie_
Hey

So I am an EB (European Bac.) applicant so I am a bit of a funny case, as we aren't super common :frown: Does anyone know of anyone who took the Bac who got accepted to Edinburgh? And what grades, extra-curriculars they had? Just worried- nobody from my school applied to Edinburgh for medicine before :/

Hi Julie, there's one girl in my year who did the EB, but I don't know anything about her application. I'll see if I can find out for you, if not, rest assured that there are people with that qualification that have gotten in! :biggrin:
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Hi Julie, there's one girl in my year who did the EB, but I don't know anything about her application. I'll see if I can find out for you, if not, rest assured that there are people with that qualification that have gotten in! :biggrin:

Hi Hype en Ecosse, thank you! Thats really nice of you:biggrin: haha yeah, it does help to know that. Just annyoing not knowing what they expect from us but at least I know now that some us us make it:smile:
Reply 44
Does anyone know about the type of interview you get at edinburgh? In the website it says 3 ten minute session? is it like an MMI? Any ideas...
Hey guys, does anyone know when Edinburgh start give out offers/rejections?
Reply 46
Original post by Can'tSlowDown

This thread is so empty so dont expect an answer any time soon...Just wanted to let you know
Original post by Can'tSlowDown

It was March last year. Don't expect any word from them for months.

Original post by Ama2007
This thread is so empty so dont expect an answer any time soon...Just wanted to let you know

I'm actively reading the thread. I just don't know the answers to your questions. :tongue:
Reply 48
Original post by Hype en Ecosse

I'm actively reading the thread. I just don't know the answers to your questions. :tongue:

Oh thank god, I thought no one reads this thread or non of the edinburgh applicants go on TSR.
For those interested: here are the UKCAT results

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/2012%20Testing%20Statistics.Pdf

This might give us a better idea of what the quartiles will be like this year, as a lot of TSR members seem to be very high-achieving :tongue:
Reply 50
Do we just find out in March whether we have an offer or not seeing as they don't interview? And also with regards to the percentiles - I got 2480 which puts me between the 5th and 6th decile (20 points above 5th). Do I get 2 points or 3? I mean is the 5th decile 2460 up to 2530 or 2460 down the what the 4th decile is? Sorry for my ignorance :colondollar:
Original post by lu1219
Do we just find out in March whether we have an offer or not seeing as they don't interview? And also with regards to the percentiles - I got 2480 which puts me between the 5th and 6th decile (20 points above 5th). Do I get 2 points or 3? I mean is the 5th decile 2460 up to 2530 or 2460 down the what the 4th decile is? Sorry for my ignorance :colondollar:

Hi lu1219,

I'm not sure where anymore, but somewhere on the Edinburg University website they said that applicants scoring highly in both the academic and non-academic areas will be informed from January onwards.

I have no idea about the percentiles. It depends on the score of the applicants so you can only ever guess :frown: I got 2530 and was also wondering what percentile I'd be in. I think we both may be in the 2nd, 3rd if we are unlucky :confused:
Reply 52
Original post by lu1219

Original post by _Julie_
Hi lu1219,

I'm not sure where anymore, but somewhere on the Edinburg University website they said that applicants scoring highly in both the academic and non-academic areas will be informed from January onwards.

I have no idea about the percentiles. It depends on the score of the applicants so you can only ever guess :frown: I got 2530 and was also wondering what percentile I'd be in. I think we both may be in the 2nd, 3rd if we are unlucky :confused:

Well, I found this information on the percentiles in the UKCAT: http://www.jobtestprep.co.uk/ukcatscores.aspx

It's not specific to Edinburgh (Edinburgh probably has higher scores from most applicants), and it's a few years old, but it might give you a rough idea of what quartile you fall into.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by lu1219

Regarding your first question, that is how it works. Edinburgh start sending out offers/rejections in waves around about March/just before it - although I can't remember accurately how it worked last year. I think rejections were sent out first.

Original post by _Julie_
Hi lu1219,

Hey guys, keep in mind that the UKCAT scores published above are an average of all the tests taken across the UK and gives no information regarding the UKCAT scores of Edinburgh applicants specifically. I'd pay no attention to these deciles as they're completely irrelevant to Edinburgh who give points by quartiles and whose average is normally a bit higher than the nationwide average.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 54
Hi Hype en Ecosse, just wondering, do you have any idea if Edinburgh give many offers to students from Northern Ireland for medicine? I've never heard of anyone from here getting an offer but I applied this year regardless.
Original post by jordan306
Hi Hype en Ecosse, just wondering, do you have any idea if Edinburgh give many offers to students from Northern Ireland for medicine? I've never heard of anyone from here getting an offer but I applied this year regardless.

I'm friends with 3 people from Northern Ireland in my year. There are probably a few more that I haven't gotten to know yet. I don't know the statistics. If I recall correctly, Northern Irish applicants are considered in the same group as Welsh and English applicants. Yous all get shoved under "RUK", so I can tell you that there's no discrimination against Northern Ireland especially, haha.

I did just find this, which states approximately 10% of applications come from Northern Ireland.
Reply 56
Original post by jordan306

Fellow Northern Irish applicant here! :smile: Heard from somewhere there's 11.5 Northern Irish people who get in per year.. great odds :afraid:
Reply 57
That doesn't seem great! So I guess it is lower for European students then! (I'm from the Republic of Ireland)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Just wondering, what is the typical offer that Edinburgh gives to an IB student?
I'm from Northern Ireland aswell! I would love to get in to Edinburgh!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending