The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Liberal Arts and Sciences

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone here got an offer for liberal arts at Birmingham?
My offer is AAA.

If anyone does, message me please as I'm struggling to decide between KCL (lovely uni, not as good course) and Birmingham (lovely course, not as good uni)
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 61
Original post by inloveinlondon
Has anyone here got an offer for liberal arts at Birmingham?
My offer is AAA.

If anyone does, message me please as I'm struggling to decide between KCL (lovely uni, not as good course) and Birmingham (lovely course, not as good uni)

Messaged you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Btw, does anyone know/have any idea how many lectures/seminars we'd have a week in this type of course? The only thing that concerns me is how heavy the work load might be if you're doing a number of subjects.
Reply 63
Hey everyone, i need a bit of help... im quite worried i might miss my offer of A* AB, to get A*BC in the worst case scenario and was wondering if they would still accept me?

For the A i need, i had a bad day in c3 and lack of time so now i need 89% in c4 and m2.... :s-smilie:
And the B i need i've had to compensate an E (49% mainly due to special circumstances, lost nearly a year), i think im going to get 82% this year, so ill miss my grade by around 5%....

Any opinions? they would be greatly appreciated as i love birmingham and the specially the course!
Reply 64
Original post by dredxn
Hey everyone, i need a bit of help... im quite worried i might miss my offer of A* AB, to get A*BC in the worst case scenario and was wondering if they would still accept me?

For the A i need, i had a bad day in c3 and lack of time so now i need 89% in c4 and m2.... :s-smilie:
And the B i need i've had to compensate an E (49% mainly due to special circumstances, lost nearly a year), i think im going to get 82% this year, so ill miss my grade by around 5%....

Any opinions? they would be greatly appreciated as i love birmingham and the specially the course!

I think you could do, it probably depends on how many people have firmed. If they're are empty places you may still get in.
I didn't know that people were offered less than AAA!
My offer is A*AA :frown: I think I may end up with A*AB! So the fact that you were offered that has given me a bit of hope of still getting in if that happens! :smile:

Btw there's a facebook group of firmers if you're wanting to join?
Reply 65
Original post by corax
I think you could do, it probably depends on how many people have firmed. If they're are empty places you may still get in.
I didn't know that people were offered less than AAA!
My offer is A*AA :frown: I think I may end up with A*AB! So the fact that you were offered that has given me a bit of hope of still getting in if that happens! :smile:

Btw there's a facebook group of firmers if you're wanting to join?

Hehe tecnically the A* compensates the B, so its an AAA offer with a twist if you know what i mean... hehe. Sorry to say this but take me too much into account offer-wise... :s-smilie: :P

Nice to meet you btw! Link me the page i might join !
Reply 66
Original post by dredxn
Hehe tecnically the A* compensates the B, so its an AAA offer with a twist if you know what i mean... hehe. Sorry to say this but take me too much into account offer-wise... :s-smilie: :P

Nice to meet you btw! Link me the page i might join !

Aha cool and nice to meet you too :smile:

Sure :smile: www.facebook.com/groups/235870793268291/
Reply 67
Original post by corax
Aha cool and nice to meet you too :smile:

Sure :smile:www.facebook.com/groups/235870793268291/

What are you going to study, if i may ask? Just applied to join the page!
Reply 68
Original post by dredxn
What are you going to study, if i may ask? Just applied to join the page!

Definitely English and Sociology. Really like the look of American Studies, Philosophy and Drama too!
What about you?

The admin of the group should accept you soon :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Noonoo
?

Wow that was quick. I have an interview this week too.
Was it hard going (just had Oxbridge interviews! Aaaarrrrgggghhhhh) or fun?
i really like the look of this course but people being really snotty about it......it is a Russell group uni for gods sake, and a cracking course I think.....

did you meet other applicants? Will this be a firm choice for you?

Original post by clonedmemories
Good luck to you with Oxbridge! I had mine last week as well :smile: What have you applied for there?

I found the interview towards the fun side of hard-going. It wasn't too academic, but they questioned you on the very fine details of things in your answers. But you do other things on the day besides the interview, and we ate lunch with all the other applicants and the Dean and the interviewers and got the chance to just chat, which was really nice, especially after I just had my interview! Everyone was lovely, though I will say that there were 6 of us, and 5 of us were girls if that makes any difference!

It will be my firm in the case that I don't get Oxford, therefore highly likely to be!

Which Oxbridge courses did you apply for?
Thanks!
Original post by TheAnnabelle
Which Oxbridge courses did you apply for?
Thanks!

In my case, Human Sciences :smile: My interests are very much along the human geography/anthropology/sociology/psychology lines, so it was basically a combination of those both!
Reply 71
Hi guys, I've applied as a late applicant for Liberal Arts and Sciences 2014 at Birmingham and I'm just waiting for their offer. I've got all my 4 other offers, mostly in Psychology elsewhere.
I was set on Birm Liberal Arts as my first choice if I get the offer, but I've had a few doubts.
I don't know if anyone on here has done their first/second year yet?
Do you think that as a Liberal Arts student you feel part of the School/Department which you focus your modules on, eg. Psychology for me? I'm worried you might not. This links to the thought that the degree may be too broad and not deep enough in a subject.
And for example in my case, if I choose to study Psychology and Geology, which modules would I chose/get given from each respective subject. Obviously we can't study the full degree of both subjects.
Thanks!
Reply 72
Original post by tomB-W
Hi guys, I've applied as a late applicant for Liberal Arts and Sciences 2014 at Birmingham and I'm just waiting for their offer. I've got all my 4 other offers, mostly in Psychology elsewhere.
I was set on Birm Liberal Arts as my first choice if I get the offer, but I've had a few doubts.
I don't know if anyone on here has done their first/second year yet?
Do you think that as a Liberal Arts student you feel part of the School/Department which you focus your modules on, eg. Psychology for me? I'm worried you might not. This links to the thought that the degree may be too broad and not deep enough in a subject.
And for example in my case, if I choose to study Psychology and Geology, which modules would I chose/get given from each respective subject. Obviously we can't study the full degree of both subjects.
Thanks!

Hey, have you been to the interview? At mine there was second year students to talk to :smile: Hm I get your worry, I was thinking that it must be confusing for people to sometimes see you in lectures /seminars but then not? I'm not sure how the timetable works though, it wasn't really explained properly.
The degree won't be as in depth as a degree just focusing on French per say, but that's not the idea of it. I suppose though that you have an extra year as it's a four year course, which may help it be more in depth :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by corax
Hey, have you been to the interview? At mine there was second year students to talk to :smile: Hm I get your worry, I was thinking that it must be confusing for people to sometimes see you in lectures /seminars but then not? I'm not sure how the timetable works though, it wasn't really explained properly.
The degree won't be as in depth as a degree just focusing on French per say, but that's not the idea of it. I suppose though that you have an extra year as it's a four year course, which may help it be more in depth :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just recieved an offer A*AA for this course but i didnt have an interview - is anyone else in this position?

So happy to have an offer from birmingham - this course looks amazing!
I just got the same- no interview and A*AA offer!

The course looks so good though, so excited! :smile:
When did you send off your application?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
Original post by maya_fooks
I just recieved an offer A*AA for this course but i didnt have an interview - is anyone else in this position?

So happy to have an offer from birmingham - this course looks amazing!

Ah looks like they're dropping the interview idea then! Everyone I know had an interview.

If any of you guys have any questions, feel free to ask, as I just started the course in September :smile:
Original post by Dianav99
When did you send off your application?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I sent it on the 14th of October
What did you apply for?:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dianav99
What did you apply for?:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied for psychology, politics and spanish?

What about you?

I love this course as its the only one that allows my weird combinations!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending