The Student Room Group

Can you become a History teacher with a degree in AMERICAN History, not just History?

I really want to study American History and Politics at UEA, but I am worried that no PGCEs would accept me onto their course as I don't have a degree in pure History (International). Are my concerns unjustified?

Other degrees I wish to pursue include American Studies and History.
Reply 1
Send a few Unis an email asking if they would still accept you with that degree. Though if you want to be a secondary teacher I would advise taking straight history as the pgce is very competitive. Is there not a history course you can find that has a lot of American history in?
Reply 2
Original post by Shelly_x
Send a few Unis an email asking if they would still accept you with that degree. Though if you want to be a secondary teacher I would advise taking straight history as the pgce is very competitive. Is there not a history course you can find that has a lot of American history in?

Thanks :smile: I only want to study US History so I can do a Year Abroad in US. But I found a non-US History deg. with a YA :biggrin:

Still would rather do American History and Politics though :P Anyone else care to comment?
It should be fine. :smile: Chances are even doing a degree in American History you'll still be taking lots of modules from other areas of History (at least, that's the case with American Studies at my uni), so I wouldn't worry about it, although like someone else has suggested, maybe email some History PGCE providers and ask? I recommend you do what you're interested in - ultimately, you're going to do best at the things which you enjoy.

I'm at Kent, and I'm hoping to do a YA in America, despite being a single-honours History student. It's possible at Kent, so I'd assume it's possible elsewhere. I'm really interested in American history, and doing a module which looks a lot at its politics this term as well. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending