The Student Room Group

Psychology

Hi, this is mainly to people who are studying psychology at uni.. I was wondering did you do work experience during your time at a level? And do you recommend any books to read about psychology for my personal statement etc

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1
Anyone?

Reply 2
Hshsjsjakejjjsjej

Reply 3
I volunteer (counts as work exp) every saturday. Google do-it

Mine is 3-4 hours per week. Good experience to see if you like the field as well.
Reply 4
No work experience, but I read the following books -

The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart
How the Mind Works - Steven Pinker

Was a pretty good PS according to my teachers (no intention of sounding arrogant/bragging)
Reply 5
Didn't think you were bragging. But thank you, I shall have a look at them :smile:

Reply 6
Original post by superglow12
Didn't think you were bragging. But thank you, I shall have a look at them :smile:

You're welcome :smile: Although be warned, The Dice Man is quite disturbing... if you need help with your PS, give me a shout and I'll see what I can do.
Reply 7
Aw that's really nice of you! I need to start my Personal statement during summer time I just wanted to get a head start on the reading lol, do you recommend doing anything else that will look good on my personal statement? :smile:

Reply 8
Try to identify a specific area of psychology you're interested in (e.g. Social, Neuro, Abnormal, Child) that you want to focus on eventually. It's a very broad subject, and this shows that you have a focus on where you want to take it over time.
Reply 9
Erm I want to go into clinical psychology

Reply 10
Original post by superglow12
Erm I want to go into clinical psychology

Trying to get a placement at a hospital or mental health charity/organisation is also looked upon very favourably, especially for clinical Psy.

Don't worry if you can't, it's extremely hard and Med applicants normally get it before us :P Anything that shows you're a well-rounded individual would help. Example - I did DofE bronze and Silver; evidence of team work, communication and dedication. Looks good on a PS. Try sport/music too - but only write if it can relate to your PS. If you want to read mine as a basic guide, let me know. :smile:

Reply 11
I wish to study psychology and I volunteer in a MHA care home for people with dementia. Very moving.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending