The Student Room Group

Tea and Coffee

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
For brand of coffee. You should literally limit it to brands, not brands and chains of coffee house. Because people will often use both a brand of coffee at home, and will frequent a particular brand of coffee house, not either or.

Also with the tea one. Whether people drink it black or white will often depend upon the type of tea.
Original post by limetang
For brand of coffee. You should literally limit it to brands, not brands and chains of coffee house. Because people will often use both a brand of coffee at home, and will frequent a particular brand of coffee house, not either or.

Done the coffee one, and agree with this post!
Original post by uclpsych
Oh... Sorry to hear that! :s-smilie:

Edit: Please feel free to ask if you have any questions or if you'd just like to tell me what the problem was!

I wrote it in the comment bit at the end. I hate smoking, and have really bad asthma. It told me I had a positive reaction to smoking, because I was faster on the first like/dislike test.

Of course I was faster! You gave us a rule, I followed it, then you changed the rule half way through to the exact opposite, so of course, in most scenarios you will be slower the second time.

So that's why I don't think it's a very accurate result.

And I wasn't thinking of it in terms of like and dislike because it was confusing me, I tried to think of it as z and /.

Sorry I was short before, I read it back and I sounded really snappy! Sorry!
Done! :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by flown_muse
I wrote it in the comment bit at the end. I hate smoking, and have really bad asthma. It told me I had a positive reaction to smoking, because I was faster on the first like/dislike test.

Of course I was faster! You gave us a rule, I followed it, then you changed the rule half way through to the exact opposite, so of course, in most scenarios you will be slower the second time.

So that's why I don't think it's a very accurate result.

And I wasn't thinking of it in terms of like and dislike because it was confusing me, I tried to think of it as z and /.

Sorry I was short before, I read it back and I sounded really snappy! Sorry!

Ah that's OK, I see what you're getting at, and I read your comment.

I can understand your point, and it might be that your result is anomalous, but the thing is that in the grand scheme of things (I will be analysing a lot of data) the rule change shouldn't have any effect. The experiment is randomised so half the participants will begin with one rule and half with the other, so that should rule out any practice effects influencing results.

The other thing is that since there is no baseline measure of implicit attitude taken, the IAT scores will only be compared between groups (there are 3 versions of the study, which differ in the pictures shown during the first part of the experiment). This (plus a few other things) should mean that other factors are controlled so the only effect I'll be seeing (if any) is that caused by the priming of the initial pictures.

Hope this all makes sense..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending