The Student Room Group

Using your own supplier

I was informed that for equipment I must use a DSA-approved supplier.

I've looked and they all offer highly priced outdated equipments.

I was wondering if I can use my own supplier - for example let's say I am getting a Macbook Pro with all the bell and whistle (I wish!) - this would cost a lot obviously.

However if I was to purchase this laptop via the University network from Apple's Education store - it would come with 3 years AppleCare warranty and will *undercut* all DSA suppliers by quite a massive amount (the difference is as much as £500-800 believe it or not).

Can I argue my case that in this case I am purchasing a laptop that is already approved directly from the manfacturer at a much lower cost than the DSA supplier. I would accept that any problem with it is my problem, but since it would have 3 years AppleCare (which is actually one of the best support plan) I wouldn't mind!

Or *must* I use only DSA approved supplier? Seem a bit silly to waste taxpayer's money (I'm a mature student and have paid plenty of tax too prior to starting uni!)

Thanks
Reply 1
By purchasing from Apple Education you may save a bit for the taxpayer, but what happens if something goes wrong? The DSA equipment includes insurance (including accidental damage) tech support and installation of the required software, as well as delivery and setup. I put your example of a Mac through systems to check- based on a 15 inch Macbook Pro with 3 years warranty (and nothing else) cost is £1,348.80 with a DSA supplier it is £1,482.00 a difference of less than £150 at the same spec.

There is no obligation to get your equipment from a DSA supplier, but your funding body may not support this, or support you if any issues arise. Don't forget the DSA quote includes a lot more.
Original post by NJones
By purchasing from Apple Education you may save a bit for the taxpayer, but what happens if something goes wrong? The DSA equipment includes insurance (including accidental damage) tech support and installation of the required software, as well as delivery and setup. I put your example of a Mac through systems to check- based on a 15 inch Macbook Pro with 3 years warranty (and nothing else) cost is £1,348.80 with a DSA supplier it is £1,482.00 a difference of less than £150 at the same spec.

There is no obligation to get your equipment from a DSA supplier, but your funding body may not support this, or support you if any issues arise. Don't forget the DSA quote includes a lot more.

Which DSA supplier was you using? I can ask if I could use them instead. Seems the one I was recommended was a bit high. In my case it was for an iMac (assessment said I need this - although how I am meant to carry this into a lecture for remote captioning is something for them to figure out!) This have now finally been changed into a laptop instead and waiting for a new quote.

The "recommended" supplier quoted £2545 including VAT and delivery, plus £150 for the warranty for an iMac.

Apple Education store for the same spec? Just under £2100 including 3 years warranty and VAT. Delivery is free. That's a difference of around £600 leading me to asking this question!

The Apple Education store already provide 3 years warranty by default so that save a bit. You only pay extra for this warranty if you want 3 years of telephone support on top. I'm deaf so I don't need this.

Applecare is probably the best warranty there is in the industry (and it's a world-wide coverage although I'm not going to be doing any travels!)

Software installation or technical support or setup etc won't be an issue for me - I'm on a computing course, it's pretty much expected that I should know my way around a computer for this course! :-)

Seems the only additional cost would be insurance which I am well prepared to pay for out of own pocket if DSA won't for using my own supplier.
Reply 3
Wyvern Business Systems
Thanks, I'll contact them - from your quotes they're more reasonable so I'll ask them for a quote and bring it to the assessment centre to let them know I'll rather the other supplier.

Quick Reply

Latest