The Student Room Group

A level choices for [possible] medicine?

I'm expected 10 As at GCSE. As far as A levels are concerned, I'm definitely doing chemistry and biology. But for my two others (AS levels) I'm deciding between....

1) English lit OR English language (My current English teacher has said I'm capable of both at A level, but which do you think is more useful, in my case?)

2) Psychology OR Philosophy and Ethics OR Politics and Law.

I would drop the second choice at A2.

At the minute my main focus is medicine at uni. BUT I'm also questioning dentistry, law and psychology.

Which, out of the second catorgary would be the most useful for medicine?
And If I happened to want to go into psychology, but didn't do it at A level, could I still apply to uni? Is it really necessary?

Sorry this is rambling and unclear, I'm just a bit stressed out about A level choices at the minute. Any input?
Thanks x
Reply 1
For your 1) option, I would go for English Literature (don't know why, but even English teachers at my school said that's better than English Language A-level).
As for the 2) option, it's hard because I know that in GCSE Philosophy and Ethics, you studied Medical Ethics, but I'm not too sure on the A-level syllabus. Go for either Psychology or P&E (whichever you would find more enjoyable), not Law A-level. The only relevant A-levels for Medicine are Biology and Chemistry.
Decide on if you really want to do medicine beacuse as soon as your start a level, most of what you do will be focused on that ( in and out of class) and trying to prepare a possible aplication ( even if it's a back up) for dentistry or law may affect you main application. Right now, focus on your GCSEs you'll be able to change you A level choices when you enroll.
Reply 3
I think for medicine/dentistry it would be best to have biology, chemistry and maths/physics. My friend wants to go into law and she said she needs essay-based subjects such as history and English. As for psychology, I don't think you need it at A level to study it at university.
Original post by meilegg
I think for medicine/dentistry it would be best to have biology, chemistry and maths/physics. My friend wants to go into law and she said she needs essay-based subjects such as history and English. As for psychology, I don't think you need it at A level to study it at university.

No. There really isn't any discrimination between students that study 3 sciences vs. students who study 2 sciences and a non-science subject. In fact, I'd say there's a slight preference towards the latter. Well-rounded individuals and all that.

Cambridge is the only university you'd need to take Biology, Chemistry, Maths/Physics for. That leaves you with another 30 unis to choose from, hardly a disadvantage.

Quick Reply

Latest