The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Information Management for Business 2013 Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by wkahn
Okay that is alright then, did you not do anything equivalent to GCSE's? Or did you just do A Levels? Another thing I am really really stuck on my personal statement, would you be willing to send me yours just so I can get a rough idea? Can't find any examples for this course on the net.

Thanks

I did not do the GCSE's, in fact I didn't even do the A levels, I did the IB instead. About the PS, mine wouldn't be much help tbh. I don't think you need to worry about it too much. I merely mentioned anything about information management in my PS lol. My emphasis was on the business part (and that should be easy to write about, loads of examples) I got an offer anyway so yeah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 221
I have got my as level grades: Maths (A), Further Maths (B), Business Studies (B) and Economics (C) and Physics (D, dropped)

I feel that I was unlucky with business (3 UMS of A) and Economics (4 UMS of B) therefore i'll be getting them remarked, and I have been told that i'll be predicted AABB if I carry 4 A Levels (not physics) through to year 13, however the problem is that I have already done year 12 before and got BDDD but resat as health issues prevented me from getting my best grades.

Do you think that i'd be able to get an offer for IMB at UCL?

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 222
Hi guys,

I got fairly decent iGCSE’s (5A’s, 5B’s), and I’ve been predicted A (Economics), A (History) and B (Politics) + I got an E at Maths AS.
I’ve decided to apply for IMB at UCL, what do you guys think are the chances of me getting an offer? and if so, when? My personal statement was mostly based on Business Management and had very little on IT.

Thanks
Reply 223
Hi,
anyone can briefly describe the difference between regular Management course at for example LSE and Information Management for Business at UCL?
Reply 224
Original post by eloo
Hi,
anyone can briefly describe the difference between regular Management course at for example LSE and Information Management for Business at UCL?

LSE, Management without any IT

IMB, Management with IT

IT meaning programming, understanding systems and that kind of stuff

Pretty much it
Reply 225
That's what I thought. The thing is that I am not so much into IT stuff, including programming and so on. Is it possible to keep going on that course without having knowledge in this field after high school? Well I mean our school system in Poland is pretty poor when it comes to providing us with the IT knowledge.
Reply 226
And one another thing, my Personal Statement is not much oriented towards IT, well it's regular Management PS, does it complicates my offer chances much?
Original post by eloo
And one another thing, my Personal Statement is not much oriented towards IT, well it's regular Management PS, does it complicates my offer chances much?

No I doubt it will. They accept any studies for this course so if they expected students to know a great deal of IT then they would have stated that. I wouldn't tailor my PS towards IT if you're other university courses are related to Management only so dw.
Original post by eloo
That's what I thought. The thing is that I am not so much into IT stuff, including programming and so on. Is it possible to keep going on that course without having knowledge in this field after high school? Well I mean our school system in Poland is pretty poor when it comes to providing us with the IT knowledge.

I know one of the students studying IMB at UCL and she says she had no IT knowledge prior to the course (nor do they expect you too) but learnt skills such as programming that are useful for future jobs. I personally think it is personal as the course structure isn't totally IT orientated which is great!

Term1 Term 2
Year 1

INST1002 Programming 1 - java

INST1003 Information Systems

MSIN1006 Accounting Foundations

INST6002 Web Technologies, Users and Management

Year 2

INST2002 Programming 2

MSIN2003 Business Analytics

One Elective Module

Year 3

COMP3035 Networked Systems / MSIN3003 IMB Personal, Professional Development

COMP3012 Interaction Design

One Elective module

As you can see, there is quite a bit of IT. However I'm confident that the tutors will be able to assist you and there is an abundance of books in the UCL Science Library to help you with any IT.

Do not be put off by the IT element within the course! :smile::smile::smile:
Reply 229
Thank you a lot :smile: ! Generally I want this course as my backup choice, although I was concerned about my PS and Computer Science modules. Now everything is clear.

Also the thing might be that my current computer science teacher is not so good and at some point I just closed myself for the knowledge in this field. At UCL tutors are for sure good at providing their students with information so that I could get into this stuff. Thanks a lot :smile:.
By the way, have you applied for this course? :smile:
Reply 230
Original post by eloo
At UCL tutors are for sure good at providing their students with information so that I could get into this stuff.

You are in for a surprise.
Reply 231
What do you mean by saying this? :smile: Do you study there or heard something adverse about the UCL?
Reply 232
Original post by eloo
What do you mean by saying this? :smile: Do you study there or heard something adverse about the UCL?

There are tutors that have tremendous quality, but there are some that don't.
Yes it is UCL, but this is still the case unfortunately.
Reply 233
Anyone heard back from them yet? And do they tend to offer interviews for IMB?
Reply 234
Original post by jives
There are tutors that have tremendous quality, but there are some that don't.
Yes it is UCL, but this is still the case unfortunately.

Thanks, now I get it :smile:
Reply 235
I do think thats the case with pretty much all universities. Your never going to get perfect tutors everywhere, I can imagine that UCL has a higher proportion of excellent tutors than most other universities.
Original post by JTab
Anyone heard back from them yet? And do they tend to offer interviews for IMB?

No idea mate, do they even have open days for IMB? I know they do for economics?
Reply 237
Hello all current IMB Students! Quick question. Where do you have most of your classes? Henry Morley Building / Engineering Front Building or some other building?

Thank you for your responses!
Is there anyone here actually taking the course now? If so, where do people do internships, and in what areas? Thanks :smile:
Hello, I'm just wondering if I stand a chance getting on this degree?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending