The Student Room Group

The Cambridge Chat Thread's Starter for Ten - 'No, you lose five points!'

THIS IS THE NEW CAMBRIDGE CHAT THREAD.

ITS NAME IS PROVISIONAL.

LET'S TALK ABOUT IT.

Note: this thread is for current and former Cambridge students. If you're an applicant, this thread is not the most helpful place for you to post. You will get much more joy in the grades thread (it has a funky flowchart and everything).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So, er, hi everyone.
Reply 2
I approve greatly of this title :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by smilepea
I approve greatly of this title :biggrin:

Yay :h: Credit to Slumpy.

I've just been invited to go back to my YA university in France to present some work I did in a seminar at a conference! I can't go because it's in 2 weeks and I can't go on a random trip to France in the middle of term, but :biggrin:
:lurk:
Original post by ukdragon37
:lurk:

Also lurking. Posting to subscribe. Like the title :biggrin:
Reply 6
Hello all!
Reply 7
Original post by Melz0r
Yay :h: Credit to Slumpy.

I've just been invited to go back to my YA university in France to present some work I did in a seminar at a conference! I can't go because it's in 2 weeks and I can't go on a random trip to France in the middle of term, but :biggrin:

Pssht yes you can, that's a really big deal and good for postgrad applications. You wouldn't miss that much of term. Talk to the DoSman and see what he says, he might just tell you to go for it. Don't write it off!
Reply 8
Mel you have to go! Its a fantastic opportunity, and its only France so the travel won't take that much out of term. Just get permission to bump a bit of supervision work to Christmas.
Original post by Slumpy
I've always found the phrase 'alma mater' rather unnecessarily pretentious. I tend to go with 'university'.

:ditto: I cringe whenever anybody says it. It also sounds really American for some reason.
Original post by Slumpy
Starter for Ten.

Yay!
Original post by ratio
:hello:

Newbie here.

:hello: Welcome to the thread :smile:
Reply 9
I think the most annoying person I've ever met is doing astro this year...
I think the most annoying person I've ever met is doing astro this year...

Initials IB? Yep, all the physicists in my year will attest to that!

Also, RE the conversation from the last thread - http://cambridgetab.co.uk/debate/why-waxing-can-be-feminist
Reply 11
Original post by Topaz_eyes

I just, it's beyond me how he can think he can do what he does. We got an email from him today telling us to be early to GR. I already have no time for him. AHHHHHHHHH.
I just, it's beyond me how he can think he can do what he does. We got an email from him today telling us to be early to GR. I already have no time for him. AHHHHHHHHH.

Try being told to only attempt 4 questions in your paper (that advises doing 6) because "If you answer them perfectly you'll get a first!"

I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw he was doing Astro :tongue: Looks like people are arguing back this year, though...
Reply 13
Original post by Zoedotdot
Pssht yes you can, that's a really big deal and good for postgrad applications. You wouldn't miss that much of term. Talk to the DoSman and see what he says, he might just tell you to go for it. Don't write it off!

Original post by Craghyrax
Mel you have to go! Its a fantastic opportunity, and its only France so the travel won't take that much out of term. Just get permission to bump a bit of supervision work to Christmas.

So I mentioned it to my 4th year diss supervisor (who also supervised me for my YA diss and in second year) and she was all like YOU HAVE TO DO THIS. And so has everyone I've mentioned it to today. So the DoS has been emailed! Fingers crossed.
Original post by Melz0r
So I mentioned it to my 4th year diss supervisor (who also supervised me for my YA diss and in second year) and she was all like YOU HAVE TO DO THIS. And so has everyone I've mentioned it to today. So the DoS has been emailed! Fingers crossed.

I think he would probably sail you out there himself on a raft made of his own bookshelves :p: So I doubt you need to worry about permission.
Reply 15
Try being told to only attempt 4 questions in your paper (that advises doing 6) because "If you answer them perfectly you'll get a first!"

I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw he was doing Astro :tongue: Looks like people are arguing back this year, though...

Yeah I heard about that one, and I have no words to describe how appalled I am by it. As far as I can tell he's just a ****er.

Yes, he's been told to "leave us alone" but I don't think that'll have much effect as he seems to have set up a mailing list for part II astros (it's definitely not a department thing as there wasn't one two years ago...)
Reply 16
Original post by melz0r
so i mentioned it to my 4th year diss supervisor (who also supervised me for my ya diss and in second year) and she was all like you have to do this. And so has everyone i've mentioned it to today. So the dos has been emailed! Fingers crossed.

prsom. Yay!!!
Yeah I heard about that one, and I have no words to describe how appalled I am by it. As far as I can tell he's just a ****er.

Yes, he's been told to "leave us alone" but I don't think that'll have much effect as he seems to have set up a mailing list for part II astros (it's definitely not a department thing as there wasn't one two years ago...)

Can't you guys band together and all set up filters to block emails from him?

So are you finishing your degree now?

Original post by Melz0r
I'm glad to hear you're being sensible.
Reply 18
Sounds awesome Mel :smile:
Original post by Melz0r

If it's worth anything, my PhD applications sixth-sense tells me if I had this opportunity I would not hesitate to go even if it was in exam term. :tongue:

Also, RE the conversation from the last thread - http://cambridgetab.co.uk/debate/why-waxing-can-be-feminist

I think I managed to figure out who it is :beard:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest