The Student Room Group

The Cambridge Chat Thread's Starter for Ten - 'No, you lose five points!'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1500
Original post by Craghyrax
This time I guessed where that link would lead before following it. For once.
And awesome! Not that I'm biased.
It's nice to know that someone occasionally follows the links. I had been wondering, though I would happily include them just for my own sake.

But apparently I'm too predictable. In future I'll have to make sure that the links are completely unrelated to the actual post.
Reply 1501
Original post by harr
It's nice to know that someone occasionally follows the links. I had been wondering, though I would happily include them just for my own sake.

But apparently I'm too predictable. In future I'll have to make sure that the links are completely unrelated to the actual post.

I tend to follow them. You're basically stumbleupon.
Original post by alex_hk90
I haven't seen the research but I would tend to agree with you here. I guess it's a case of "live fast, die young". :dontknow:

Or with Alzheimers :fyi:
Have you guys come across this blog about life in Cambridge? http://somebodyelsescambridge.wordpress.com/
Have you guys come across this blog about life in Cambridge? http://somebodyelsescambridge.wordpress.com/

I hadn't come across that before, and having skimmed through the top entry I find it very typical of these kind of "Life at Cambridge" blogs - boring and pretentious. Then again maybe that's just me being boring and pretentious myself. :tongue: :h:
I hadn't come across that before, and having skimmed through the top entry I find it very typical of these kind of "Life at Cambridge" blogs - boring and pretentious. Then again maybe that's just me being boring and pretentious myself. :tongue: :h:

I always find other peoples' experiences or views of life and themselves interesting. I was disappointed that most of the entries were about sex or relationships, but a few weren't and they were generally good. I don't think its pretentious. If you have never had thoughts or experiences like those yourself, then perhaps it may seem so. But plenty of people have such thoughts to themselves all the time. If its the publicising it that makes it pretentious... sometimes sharing that kind of information can be pretentious, but its not necessarily the case. Certainly I'd find chatting to other people a lot more fun and interesting if they had conversations at that level rather than sticking to jokes and boring small talk :smile:
Reply 1506
Certainly I'd find chatting to other people a lot more fun and interesting if they had conversations at that level rather than sticking to jokes
:frown:

Plus marks for Housman and Alice in Wonderland. Minus for "apotheosis".*

The bed thing is bizarre. 2'6" might make sense if you never move, but as I do occasionally move...

*Not hugely obscure, but still unnecessarily so. The last time I remember hearing it was in the definitely pretentious "As if by sorcery, the quasi-parodic overstatement and oddly cerebral mood of Led Zep's blues recastings is at once transcended (that is, this really sounds like a blues), and apotheosized (that is, it has the grandeur of a symphonic crescendo) while John Bonham, as ham-handed as ever, pounds out a contrapuntal tattoo of heavy rhythm." But then I probably use much more obscure terms without noticing. I've definitely read things that I wrote a few years ago and thought "what the hell does that word mean?"

Edit: More accurate version of the Alice quote

(edited 10 years ago)

Yeah, it's written by a fresher at Pembroke I know - I think some of the posts are really great, although wish there'd be a move off of the failed relationships and cambridge-induced-insecurities themes.
I always find other peoples' experiences or views of life and themselves interesting. I was disappointed that most of the entries were about sex or relationships, but a few weren't and they were generally good. I don't think its pretentious. If you have never had thoughts or experiences like those yourself, then perhaps it may seem so. But plenty of people have such thoughts to themselves all the time. If its the publicising it that makes it pretentious... sometimes sharing that kind of information can be pretentious, but its not necessarily the case. Certainly I'd find chatting to other people a lot more fun and interesting if they had conversations at that level rather than sticking to jokes and boring small talk :smile:

Other peoples' experiences and views of life can be interesting, agreed. However most - if not all - of "Life at Cambridge" blogs I have seen are not interesting at all - they are often written in a way that feels pretentious in that they are somehow special or unique having these thoughts when a quick glance at other similar blogs will reveal that this is not the case. I agree it's the publicising, and manner of publicising that I find pretentious rather than the content. But then again I haven't read one where the content would keep me reading either. I'm yet to find a blog worth following in my opinion. :no: On the other hand, agreed it is generally more interesting when people are willing to talk about their thoughts instead of general lowest-common-denominator small-talk and similar. :h:

Also agree with Sockpirate that the failed relationships and cambridge-induced-insecurities themes are probably the most boring of the lot.
Other peoples' experiences and views of life can be interesting, agreed. However most - if not all - of "Life at Cambridge" blogs I have seen are not interesting at all - they are often written in a way that feels pretentious in that they are somehow special or unique having these thoughts when a quick glance at other similar blogs will reveal that this is not the case. I agree it's the publicising, and manner of publicising that I find pretentious rather than the content. But then again I haven't read one where the content would keep me reading either. I'm yet to find a blog worth following in my opinion. :no: On the other hand, agreed it is generally more interesting when people are willing to talk about their thoughts instead of general lowest-common-denominator small-talk and similar. :h:

Also agree with Sockpirate that the failed relationships and cambridge-induced-insecurities themes are probably the most boring of the lot.

I don't think anything about the blog suggests that the author thinks that the content is in anyway special or unusual. The introductory premise was that she wanted to show that any random person can be interesting. So if anything, the premise is that such thoughts and experiences are very normal. And the reason Cambridge induced anxiety and failed relationships continue to be popular and appealing to readers is precisely because they're universal and everyone does go through these things. If you are having a difficult time and are spending time thinking over it, its very welcome to read accounts of other people who have been through something similar, but with different conclusions and thoughts about that experience. It gives you a point of comparison, and in doing so it allows you to put your own experiences into perspective. This is very valuable, because most of the time people don't share such thoughts with others because they're too embarrassed to do so. And since this is the norm, people only have their own thoughts to refer to, and therefore can't access much perspective. Certainly I only found the entries interesting and valuable in so far as they were common experiences that everyone shares, but in more detail and depth than you usually have access to.

This is not meant to be critical, but I can't help reading negative responses such as yours as being a kind of defence mechanism like the author referred to. Its precisely the awkwardness and cringeyness of such topics that prevents regular people from publicising their thoughts about these things. If we stopped seeing such thoughts as cringey or awkward, and actually treated them as normal (as you claimed to view them) then not only would people be more open about it, but that would also eventually lead to less blogs or articles about this kind of angst, because there wouldn't be any more need for them, and the subject matter would become mundane and standard.

Harr: yes I agree that the style of writing could be seen as pretentious, but if the author is a first year, then she is no doubt also exhibiting classic first year traits of writing way too pretentiously before realising that substance is more important than style. Its extremely normal for new arts students to write too 'flowery' when they first get to Cambridge. If she is a philosopher then she will have that particular proclivity knocked out of her very soon, as there isn't anything analytic philosophy hates more than obscure writing. On the other hand, I suspect that she's actually HSPS, as Kant and Mill are taught in Politics too. Social sciences do have a bit of a bad rep for pretentious writing. And if she is in that discipline then you can't blame her for adopting the kind of style she picks up from the academic texts she's reading. That's just a logical strategy for doing well in your subject area. Social science disciplines now make a very big deal over clear writing. But it can take awhile for that message to filter down. Especially when some of the most hallowed writers that we study are setting bad examples.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1510
Harr: yes I agree that the style of writing could be seen as pretentious, but if the author is a first year, then she is no doubt also exhibiting classic first year traits of writing way too pretentiously before realising that substance is more important than style. Its extremely normal for new arts students to write too 'flowery' when they first get to Cambridge. If she is a philosopher then she will have that particular proclivity knocked out of her very soon, as there isn't anything analytic philosophy hates more than obscure writing. On the other hand, I suspect that she's actually HSPS, as Kant and Mill are taught in Politics too. Social sciences do have a bit of a bad rep for pretentious writing. And if she is in that discipline then you can't blame her for adopting the kind of style she picks up from the academic texts she's reading. That's just a logical strategy for doing well in your subject area. Social science disciplines now make a very big deal over clear writing. But it can take awhile for that message to filter down. Especially when some of the most hallowed writers that we study are setting bad examples.
I actually think that it's quite well written. And it's far less pretentious than some of my posts on here.

Your last sentence reminds me of a quote that I saw recently:

From our cultural distance, it is evident that Kant’s arguments against masturbation, for the return of wives to abusive husbands, etc., are gobbledy-gook. This should make us suspicious that there might be other parts of Kant, too, that are gobbledy-gook, for example, the stuff that transparently reads like gobbledy-gook, such as the transcendental deduction, and such as his claims that his various obviously non-equivalent formulations of the fundamental principle of morality are in fact “so many formulations of precisely the same law” (Groundwork, 4:436, Zweig trans.). I read Kant as a master at promising philosophers what they want and then effusing a haze of words with glimmers enough of hope that readers can convince themselves that there is something profound underneath.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by harr
I actually think it's quite well written. And it's far less pretentious than some of my posts on here.

Your last sentence reminds me of a quote that I saw recently:

From our cultural distance, it is evident that Kant’s arguments against masturbation, for the return of wives to abusive husbands, etc., are gobbledy-gook. This should make us suspicious that there might be other parts of Kant, too, that are gobbledy-gook, for example, the stuff that transparently reads like gobbledy-gook, such as the transcendental deduction, and such as his claims that his various obviously non-equivalent formulations of the fundamental principle of morality are in fact “so many formulations of precisely the same law” (Groundwork, 4:436, Zweig trans.). I read Kant as a master at promising philosophers what they want and then effusing a haze of words with glimmers enough of hope that readers can convince themselves that there is something profound underneath.

Yep, I hate Kant. But then I've only really learnt some of his theories.
Generally there is a wildly overblown cultural capital attached to old, classic political thinkers. People can name drop Hobbes or Locke or Kant and seem or feel very smart. Whereas if you actually explore these ideas in detail, you realise that the bits they got right are blindingly obvious (they just had the luck to be born few hundred years ahead of anybody else, and to the kind of advantage that would allow them to write rather than plow fields, and thus got to add their names to all the low hanging fruit), and that quite a lot of other things they say are highly dubious. This was part of what put me off of studying politics at Cambridge and made me choose sociology.
Reply 1512

This is not meant to be critical, but I can't help reading negative responses such as yours as being a kind of defence mechanism like the author referred to. Its precisely the awkwardness and cringeyness of such topics that prevents regular people from publicising their thoughts about these things. If we stopped seeing such thoughts as cringey or awkward, and actually treated them as normal (as you claimed to view them) then not only would people be more open about it, but that would also eventually lead to less blogs or articles about this kind of angst, because there wouldn't be any more need for them, and the subject matter would become mundane and standard.

I kinda like the blog, but I think I somewhat side with Alex here.
Whilst reading it, there wasn't anything that seemed that unusual to me. I mean, my coping mechanism with stress at cambridge (admittedly relatively rare) was to remind myself that everyone else was almost certainly thinking the same, and having the same issues as me. That said, I still find it a little awkward reading (might be the style), and would certainly find discussing my own thoughts like that as immensely awkward. I don't mind telling people things (practically anything that doesn't compromise other people tbh), but it just seems awfully self-involved for me to assume anyone else would be interested!
Bit of a fail at paragraphs there, but hey. Can only avoid revision for so long before I feel guilty...
Original post by Slumpy
I kinda like the blog, but I think I somewhat side with Alex here.
Whilst reading it, there wasn't anything that seemed that unusual to me. I mean, my coping mechanism with stress at cambridge (admittedly relatively rare) was to remind myself that everyone else was almost certainly thinking the same, and having the same issues as me. That said, I still find it a little awkward reading (might be the style), and would certainly find discussing my own thoughts like that as immensely awkward. I don't mind telling people things (practically anything that doesn't compromise other people tbh), but it just seems awfully self-involved for me to assume anyone else would be interested!
Bit of a fail at paragraphs there, but hey. Can only avoid revision for so long before I feel guilty...

That's what I meant. People are raised to find displays of emotion awkward and to see it as a bad thing, e.g narcissistic, attention seeking, self involved and so forth. You are both culturally encouraged to be critical of it. You have the double whammy of being brought up British (the stiff upper lip and the constant sarcasm at anything that could be deemed too emotional are both still prevalent) and male. So it makes perfect sense that you would instinctively feel critical and uncomfortable with such material. I just think that we should second guess feelings of discomfort and try to appraise it more objectively. Forgive me, of course, for assuming a whole lot of personal things about you and Alex. But I do stand by those observations about British and masculine culture generally. As to the being 'programmed' thing, a lot of people find this reading patronising and somewhat insulting (that we're all dupes of culture/biology etc). But if it helps, I apply exactly the same rules to myself, and assume that I'm also programmed to have a particular range of deeply seated instinctive responses to certain things.

I should go now... but at least I've given you more excuses not to revise :awesome: And PRSOM, but in absence of shiney green stuff: good coping mechanism.
(edited 10 years ago)
When I first moved to England I was very taken aback with how self effacing British norms are. I remember a friend in sixth form being absolutely mortified at my suggestion that we go and ask someone at Cafe Nero to refill our water bottles with tap water on a very hot summer day. He couldn't bear the idea of possibly annoying the staff, and insisted that this 'just wasn't done'. I pointed out that the staff in the shop were doubtless not treated well enough to give a toss for Cafe Nero's net profit, and that they didn't look busy, but to no avail. I think the same kind of sentiment comes up with things like this. People are overly reticent at drawing attention to themselves, putting themselves forward or sharing their experiences lest it seem as though they think they deserve more attention or sympathy than anybody else does. I've always liked British culture, and far prefer this to the overly expressive and emotional culture there seems to be in the US and that there partly is in South Africa. But I think that sometimes this particular trait can be excessive. It results in constant self repression and scrutiny, and also encourages criticism towards people who don't do the same :p:
Reply 1515
That's what I meant. People are raised to find displays of emotion awkward and to see it as a bad thing, e.g narcissistic, attention seeking, self involved and so forth. You are both culturally encouraged to be critical of it. You have the double whammy of being brought up British (the stiff upper lip and the constant sarcasm at anything that could be deemed too emotional are both still prevalent) and male. So it makes perfect sense that you would instinctively feel critical and uncomfortable with such material. I just think that we should second guess feelings of discomfort and try to appraise it more objectively. Forgive me, of course, for assuming a whole lot of personal things about you and Alex. But I do stand by those observations about British and masculine culture generally. As to the being 'programmed' thing, a lot of people find this reading patronising and somewhat insulting (that we're all dupes of culture/biology etc). But if it helps, I apply exactly the same rules to myself, and assume that I'm also programmed to have a particular range of deeply seated instinctive responses to certain things.

I should go now... but at least I've given you more excuses not to revise :awesome: And PRSOM, but in absence of shiney green stuff: good coping mechanism.

Oh I've no doubt it's a british cultural thing. But I don't necessarily think it's a harmful attitude. Possibly the male thing is relevant, but I think it's partly just my family too. We don't really take anything seriously, so people taking things seriously seems a bit strange.
Yeah, the programming thing is weird. Trying to self-regulate everything you do as a product of experiences/influences is kinda hard.
Reply 1516
Yep, I hate Kant. But then I've only really learnt some of his theories.
Generally there is a wildly overblown cultural capital attached to old, classic political thinkers. People can name drop Hobbes or Locke or Kant and seem or feel very smart. Whereas if you actually explore these ideas in detail, you realise that the bits they got right are blindingly obvious (they just had the luck to be born few hundred years ahead of anybody else, and to the kind of advantage that would allow them to write rather than plow fields, and thus got to add their names to all the low hanging fruit), and that quite a lot of other things they say are highly dubious. This was part of what put me off of studying politics at Cambridge and made me choose sociology.
I haven't linked to this blog for at least a couple of days, so here's an attempt to justify studying the classics (not that you're necessarily arguing against doing so). IMO the last two paragraphs are the most important. It may be a bit tired, but the "those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" quote is rather good.

Also, I believe that it was H.W. Fowler in A Dictionary of Modern English Usage who* said that "A writer expresses himself in words that have been used before because [various things] or because he wishes to show that he is learned and well read."

*Or possibly that. See which, that, who (9).
Original post by harr
I haven't linked to this blog for at least a couple of days, so here's an attempt to justify studying the classics (not that you're necessarily arguing against doing so). IMO the last two paragraphs are the most important. It may be a bit tired, but the "those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" quote is rather good.

Also, I believe that it was H.W. Fowler in A Dictionary of Modern English Usage who* said that "A writer expresses himself in words that have been used before because [various things] or because he wishes to show that he is learned and well read."

*Or possibly that. See which, that, who (9).

"Could it be that there are some questions which can't be answered solely by reliance on mathematical technique?" :lol:

I think that classic economic theories are different to classic political theories, though. They certainly overlap, and the more quantitative half of political science tries to ape economics and uses rational choice theory as a point of departure (which the rest of us think is *******s). However, the comparison I was making was between 20th century social theories and older, Enlightenment thinkers. And also between historic political thought and actual philosophy. I think most analytic philosophers would flinch to hear someone like Hobbes described as a philosopher. Although they are pretty snobby, it must be said. There are a lot of classic thinkers which are massively overrated. In fairness there are a lot of theorists that are overrated everywhere. Its just the ones that carry the most cache in conversations are often the more stupid ones. So Marx definitely doesn't get you brownie points with anybody, despite him being mostly right and a genius. Whereas people seem very smart if they drop in Aquinas or Burke. So basically all the easiest and worst ones have the widest every day appeal.

Interesting blog, anyway.
(edited 10 years ago)
I don't think anything about the blog suggests that the author thinks that the content is in anyway special or unusual. The introductory premise was that she wanted to show that any random person can be interesting. So if anything, the premise is that such thoughts and experiences are very normal.

Fair enough - I only skimmed one entry so the sample probably wasn't sufficient (often enough for an economist though :tongue:) and no doubt there was some confirmation bias being exhibited on my part.

And the reason Cambridge induced anxiety and failed relationships continue to be popular and appealing to readers is precisely because they're universal and everyone does go through these things.

I would contest that both, or in fact either, of those are universal. I know people for whom at least one, if not both, did not apply.

If you are having a difficult time and are spending time thinking over it, its very welcome to read accounts of other people who have been through something similar, but with different conclusions and thoughts about that experience. It gives you a point of comparison, and in doing so it allows you to put your own experiences into perspective. This is very valuable, because most of the time people don't share such thoughts with others because they're too embarrassed to do so. And since this is the norm, people only have their own thoughts to refer to, and therefore can't access much perspective. Certainly I only found the entries interesting and valuable in so far as they were common experiences that everyone shares, but in more detail and depth than you usually have access to.

This is an interesting social benefit that I had not considered, most likely because it is not one that applied/applies for me.

As I'm sure you know by now, I don't mind even if it is meant to be critical. :h: I guess the point of disagreement is that I do find them mundane and standard already, which is part of the reason why I don't see why people would think others would be interested in these topics. But if in reality this is not a majority opinion then I suppose that makes a little more sense.

Regarding a 'defence mechanism', unfortunately I didn't read that post so I'm not sure what I'm meant to be defending against here - is it my own Cambridge-induced insecurities and failed relationships? Putting asides whether or not these exist(ed), I'm struggling to see how this applies to my opinion on these blogs...

I disagree with quite a lot here:
- I do not find displays of emotion awkward or a bad thing in general.
- The "stiff upper lip" may be stereotypically British culture, but it is a stereotype and quite a generalisation to assume it would apply to both of us. Besides, I'm not fully British nor did I spend my early years in the UK.
- It's not common (in fact, practically unheard of unless with sarcasm) that someone suggests to me that I am demonstrating 'masculine culture' - while I am male again it is quite a generalisation to assume this would make me 'masculine' in this sense.
- Regarding 'programming', I also recognise this and sometimes even attempt to manually correct for these instinctive responses. However I don't think this applies in this case.

I would contest that both, or in fact either, of those are universal. I know people for whom at least one, if not both, did not apply.
Fair enough, although you suggested a different view in earlier posts.
Regarding a 'defence mechanism', unfortunately I didn't read that post so I'm not sure what I'm meant to be defending against here - is it my own Cambridge-induced insecurities and failed relationships? Putting asides whether or not these exist(ed), I'm struggling to see how this applies to my opinion on these blogs...
Nothing particular than that, more the kind of defence mechanisms that most people have when they encounter another person saying or doing something that violates a norm, crosses a line. So a reaction to awkwardness. Perhaps defence mechanism isn't the best term. Better to think of it in terms of internalised norms that become so engrained that you automatically enforce them or defend them if they are violated. So yeh, definitely nothing particular to you personally. Just something I think a lot of people do or have.

I disagree with quite a lot here:
- I do not find displays of emotion awkward or a bad thing in general.
- The "stiff upper lip" may be stereotypically British culture, but it is a stereotype and quite a generalisation to assume it would apply to both of us. Besides, I'm not fully British nor did I spend my early years in the UK.
- It's not common (in fact, practically unheard of unless with sarcasm) that someone suggests to me that I am demonstrating 'masculine culture' - while I am male again it is quite a generalisation to assume this would make me 'masculine' in this sense.
True, but that's why I endeavoured to include disclaimers to signal that it was a pretty big generalisation and that I could well be wrong. It was just a starting hypothesis anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending