The Student Room Group

Whats the difference between these?

So I have received my college prospectus and I am looking at the IT courses, since that is what I am interested in. I can't help but question myself, what are the differences between AS, A2, BTEC Certificate, Diploma and Award?

All I know is that A2 is a higher level of an AS, but apart from that, what do they mean? And are any better than others?
Original post by VampiricJaws
So I have received my college prospectus and I am looking at the IT courses, since that is what I am interested in. I can't help but question myself, what are the differences between AS, A2, BTEC Certificate, Diploma and Award?

All I know is that A2 is a higher level of an AS, but apart from that, what do they mean? And are any better than others?

A level = AS + A2, where AS is the first year, and A2 is the second year.

BTEC Certificate/Diploma/Award are just different stages of the BTEC, in the order Award, Certificate, Diploma.
Reply 2
Okay, but would an employer prefer any specific ones? And so Diploma is the highest level of a BTEC? Right?
Sounds like the old name for Btec

"The BTEC Nationals for IT Practitioners were replaced by the QCF-accredited BTEC Level 3 Certificate, Subsidiary Diploma, Diplomas and Extended Diplomas in IT from September 2010."

diploma and extended are both 2 year courses 1 is worth about the same as 2 Alevels the other is worth 3 in terms of ucas points.

in a course such as IT the Btec will cover signification more content and you will likely learn much more over the course however your time will be taken up by the full time course. it will be harder for you to mix it with other A level subjects.
Reply 4
Im not planning on doing any A Level subjects since exam's are just a thing I literally fail on, I am a passionate ICT person, therefore choosing 3 BTEC IT based courses is a perfect match for me :P

Quick Reply

Latest