The Student Room Group

A-Level Choices.

I am currently going through the A-Level options process at my school and I was wondering whether my A-Levels are good choices or not. I am looking to go into Medicine or the Biosciences. I am thinking of taking Biology, Chemistry and English Language and Literature (COMBINED) for the full two years and Economics for just AS. Are these good choices? What other choices would be better? I am pretty open to just about everything apart from Business Studies and Law.
Thanks in advance.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
I don't know a lot about it, but I think they'd be alright. Where are you looking to apply to? They should be good, provided you have wrk experience. If you can, Maths might be good instead of Economics, but I don't think Economics would disadvantage you. English is probably a good choice (essay subject and all).
Reply 2
Original post by nombo
I don't know a lot about it, but I think they'd be alright. Where are you looking to apply to? They should be good, provided you have wrk experience. If you can, Maths might be good instead of Economics, but I don't think Economics would disadvantage you. English is probably a good choice (essay subject and all).

I was considering Maths however, I am struggling with it already, so God knows what I'd be like at A-Level. I am not really looking at Oxbridge. I would like to go to a University in the top 30 such as, UEA, etc...
Biology and Chemistry are a good combo to have, they overlap in some modules which makes things a little easier :smile: and of course they link with your future career choices. As nombo said maths would probably be better suited rather than economics. Just make sure you are passionate/interested about the subjects you want to take, otherwise you might begin to hate it and not put much effort in (which is what happened to me)
Reply 4
Ok, if you're struggling, it's probably best you don't take it then - a B in Maths wouldn't look as good as an A in Econ. If you're not Oxbridging, it probably won't matter as well...you sound pretty set to me! Good luck x
Reply 5
Original post by drinkteaeatcake
Biology and Chemistry are a good combo to have, they overlap in some modules which makes things a little easier :smile: and of course they link with your future career choices. As nombo said maths would probably be better suited rather than economics. Just make sure you are passionate/interested about the subjects you want to take, otherwise you might begin to hate it and not put much effort in (which is what happened to me)

Thank you very much. I will seriously consider whether I should take Maths or not now!
Reply 6
Original post by nombo
Ok, if you're struggling, it's probably best you don't take it then - a B in Maths wouldn't look as good as an A in Econ. If you're not Oxbridging, it probably won't matter as well...you sound pretty set to me! Good luck x

Oh okay, well thank you very much for taking your time out to help me!
Reply 7
As somebody already said, take subjects you know you can get an A in. If you find Economics easy, stick with it if Maths isn't your favourite. Maths is NOT required to get into Medical school. If you have Biology and Chemistry, just make sure you get all A grades.
Reply 8
Definitely Biology and Chemistry, Maths would be very useful and looks good on university applications but if you hate the subject then probably don't bother :smile:
English is good too as it shows you can do the whole essay thing as well as science.
Chemistry and Biology are needed and maths would be good if you're applying to Oxbridge (maybe UCL and ICL?), but don't do maths if you don't enjoy it. Do what you like!

For medicine, many universities (UCL and St George's) like a contrasting humanities such as history or language subject, so english or economics works I guess.

Overall, think about what you're best at combined with what you enjoy!
Reply 10
Original post by TheNoobyPotato
Chemistry and Biology are needed and maths would be good if you're applying to Oxbridge (maybe UCL and ICL?), but don't do maths if you don't enjoy it. Do what you like!

For medicine, many universities (UCL and St George's) like a contrasting humanities such as history or language subject, so english or economics works I guess.

Overall, think about what you're best at combined with what you enjoy!

I am considering History... I'll keep that in mind! Thank you!
Reply 11
Original post by Aquar
As somebody already said, take subjects you know you can get an A in. If you find Economics easy, stick with it if Maths isn't your favourite. Maths is NOT required to get into Medical school. If you have Biology and Chemistry, just make sure you get all A grades.

I did think that however, many people have told me Maths would aid my application however, I cannot seem to get to love the subject.

Quick Reply

Latest