The Student Room Group

'I went to their open day and hated it' - your experiences

Scroll to see replies

portsmouth.

was my second open day, and i just hated it. got lost (maybe that was why :P), then on the way to the psychology department, we had to cross a major road (i prefer a very confined uni).

then in the psychology lecture, they talked about zoos and testing animal behaviour n that was a whole module.. am rather against zoos so that was a turn off.

the students there were very very eager to help, which was nice. very enthusiastic. just didnt like the place :smile: what was worse about hating it was that dad started saying how lovely a trip it was n was a "good daughter and father trip out" -.-
Original post by H0ls
The halls I was shown in Sheffield had 8 people to one kitchen with only one fridge and oven and dining table which fitted only four people. However at Bristol it was 6 to a kitchen which had two fridges and two ovens and also cupboards with locks and a lot more room in the communal area. They were both in the same price range. Sheffield did have nice bar/lounge area on site though I guess.

Edit: saw you're applying for law, same here, did you honestly find that law lecture engaging?

I almost fell asleep in it, but to be fair I've almost fallen asleep in every one since :tongue: I don't really think they're supposed to be particularly interesting, I treat them as a bit of an interactive prospectus where you can ask questions about the course and stuff
Reply 42
Sheffield. I think I was just really tired and grumpy that day, but all I remember is no one having a clue about the different lectures going on, we went to the cafe for some food and it was £3 for a sodding cookie. They had a student price though, it was a whole 10p cheaper!! A lot of what I saw seemed concrete-y too. Only bit I liked was the SU bar which had a beer garden.

Wasn't technically an open day but my a-level politics class took a trip to De Montfort uni to go to some uni style politics lectures. The lectures were good, but when they showed us round the uni I was a bit :K: this it? I dunno, just didn't like the vibe. I spent a lot of my life going back-and-forth and all around uni of nottingham, where my mum studied + worked. I think I had this idealised notion of what unis should be like. ie little concrete please.
Nottingham - just didn't feel right :/
Liverpool - too grey and concretey
UEA - concrete jungle :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 44
Original post by jackclarke1995
I almost fell asleep in it, but to be fair I've almost fallen asleep in every one since :tongue: I don't really think they're supposed to be particularly interesting, I treat them as a bit of an interactive prospectus where you can ask questions about the course and stuff

Other law lectures I went to were a bit better. Some of them even presented cases and questioned them so it was more interactive and engaging. Sheffield don't offer the law course I want anyway :frown:
City University London.

Got an offer, but rejected them. I felt like I stuck out like a sore thumb there.
Reply 46
Leeds.

The whole place was just horrible and felt unwelcoming, the surrounding city was grim too. The law building was lovely however.
Birmingham - the tour was uninspiring (and that's a polite way of describing it) and the lecturer seemed really arrogant - he spent his time talking about how we could get them to choose us instead of giving any reasons why we should choose them.
Not hated any that I have been too :smile: But, I would have to say Leicester was my least favourite.

However, Exeter was ammmaaazzziiinnnngggg: loved ALL of it.
Reply 49
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Nottingham.

Nothing against the uni, it just made me realise how I cannot stand self-contained campus unis.

I hated Nottingham for this same reason, then ended up at a different campus uni anyway :tongue:.
Kent and Dundee, both were supposed to be insurance places but I really didn't like it at either. Kent seemed a bit snobby really, and the fact they changed their entry requirements quite late (around october) put me off too and I didn't really like the architecture department it was really dark and dingy in there. Dundee was too far away, was too small a town and the head of the department seemed to be really anti-English
I looked at so many and the only one I hated was UEA, far too much concrete and the students didn't seem very career driven, I'm now at Exeter and absolutely loving it! :biggrin:
I only went on one open day to Aber and I loved it.
Reply 53
Original post by placebo24
Everyone who I have talked to has hated one of the universities they have visited - what was yours?

Mine was personally Durham. I got the feeling it was trying too hard to be Oxbridge, but lacked any of the progression Oxbridge had actually made - for example it seemed quite snobby and the academic material, at least for my course, seemed too traditional for myself.

What does that even mean? And I hardly doubt that you either are an expert in your subject before you start uni or that you know both courses so well you could even make such a statement.
Coventry was awful.

Reading was too much concrete not enough green space for me.

I liked Exeter but the lecturers were rubbish for the course.
Edinburgh. I won't deny it was a beautiful city, but I just felt so uninspired by the lecturers. I felt like they just HAD to be there, instead of actually WANTING to be there as well. That, teamed with the fact I could only do single honours instead of the joint honours I really wanted to do really put me off. Never applied in the end. Good choice as I'm really happy here in Sheffield :smile:
The only ones I had a problem with were mainly Southampton and a little bit with Birmingham.

I just though Birmingham was completely overated. I thought the lecturers were pretty dull, the campus wasn't very special apart from the small section with the clock tower which barely has any academic building.

As for Southampton, just hated everything about the uni. The awful weather probably didn't help but apart from that absolutely nothing felt right about it. Excellent for my course apparently though but I refuse to spend 4 years there. City was beautiful as well though.
Maybe "hate" is too strong a word but I wasn't fond of Goldsmiths. The talk was fun (Blackadder was involved) but the buildings reminded me of a 1960's hospital and the area was dismal.
Reply 58
Portsmouth, I only went 'cos I have family in Portsmouth I don't see much and it'd have been neat to live near them. But it was huge and crappy and the course wasn't anything amazing.
Reply 59
I've been thinking I definitely want to apply to/go to UEA since the end of Year 11 (Year 13 now). I went on their open day yesterday though and just did not have a good day.

I think it was mostly me having a bad day, it was cold and rainy and so the 'concrete jungle' just seemed really dreary to me, we had to park in a field so I had mud on my jeans as soon as we got there, and I just didn't like the 'vibe'. I actually barely saw any of the law-related stuff to be fair though and accidentally had to spend 15 minutes in an economics taster lecture. By the time me and my dad got out of that room, we just wanted to go home. It was obviously a lovely uni and very friendly, but I don't think it's for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending