The Student Room Group

Is Mechanical Engineering for me ?

I am almost certain, having talked to my cousin, a MechEng himself. It contains a lot of maths which is great and physics which is even better. i was wondering what it encompasses a MechEng degree? is there lots of computer work ? or is it more drawing because I like drawing more than CAD.

Also, is it a satisfying degree? lucrative with good pay and opportunities ?

Suppose i just want some information from mech engineers preferably, on how much they like it, what they do most days, how they found the degree? was it very hard and did they have a good time besides work?

Just talk about it really!!

Thanks Alot :smile:
When I was on my last mechanical engineering placement I was mainly dealing with rotating equipment like pumps and compressors as well as static equipment like pressure vessels; and also piping and valves. Dealing with their integrity, maintenance, and a host of other issues that arises with such equipment and their operation, as well as reviewing and ordering new components.

The vendors of said equipment did a lot of drawing - primarily CAD but there were a lot of drawings completed by hand as some went back to the 80s. They also did a lot of calculations as well to verify said equipment.

Mechanical engineering is a very wide area with a host of different opportunities. If you're interested in drawing and calculations then look at the companies that make equipment and components. If you want to do some really advanced maths then look at consultancies. If you're like me and never want to do equations again then look at companies operate industrial facilities like oil rigs, power stations, process plants etc.

You can also take your engineering degree into other sectors too like finance as they love engineering graduates because the degree is both highly analytical whilst also being highly practical and focusing on the real world applications and also includes a little bit of business/management modules too. I do genuinely believe that it is one of, if not the most employable degree overall to have.
Reply 2
ahhhhh i have exactly the same problem, i just cant decide wether to take a pharmacy degree or a mechEng degree. I like physics and maths to some extent, but i dont want to be miserable and do calculationss all day. At the moment im doing work experience at a pharmacy, and it is looking boring, i am not interested at all in chemicals and their effects on the body. But then again it looks like pharmacy is more stable than mechEng as a job, but its dead boring.
MechEng looks more exciting you know, working with machines, cars, engines etc. But I think it has its boring parts too like, calculations and paperwork. But then again I think every degree has a boring aspect to it so, hey what can you do.

I would advice you to seek mechanical engineering work experience or work shadowing. Which is what I am going to start looking for when i finish my work experience placement at the pharmacy.
But it all comes down to doing what you like. I cant bear the thought of doing 5 years in pharmacy school just because its a 'stable' job.
Reply 3
As Smack has said the work can be quite varied and your options after uni are not limited, as I've got a MechEng degree but work in finance now but have also worked for engineering companies. My uni did both hand drawings and CAD drawings. You're right there is a lot of maths, only few modules that won't have any maths content like design sessions, interpersonal skill sessions. Computer work (I assume you mean CAD and similar software) is becoming more frequent, as you can produce engineering drawings using software (it's a lot easier and quicker). Especially in final year you will be using CAD and few other programs like Matlab or Ansys as you will have some sort of design project.

Is it satisfying? Depends on if you like solving problems using maths. The idea of the frst two years is to give you a good grounding in maths, dynamics, fluid mechanics etc so that you use those for real-life problems which most likely will be part of your dissertation.

Lucrative...again depends, oil & gas sector pay well and plenty of opportunties abroad. But again it depends on what sector you want to get into.

Me personally, I loved it. I love maths, physics and generally anything that is challenging. And thats what engineering is, its challenging. Work load is quite heavy though, so you won't have as much free time as people on other courses and especially in final year, it's a lot of work. If you like cars/racing then there is chance to be involved in formula student too.
Reply 4
Original post by nsolma1
ahhhhh i have exactly the same problem, i just cant decide wether to take a pharmacy degree or a mechEng degree. I like physics and maths to some extent, but i dont want to be miserable and do calculationss all day. At the moment im doing work experience at a pharmacy, and it is looking boring, i am not interested at all in chemicals and their effects on the body. But then again it looks like pharmacy is more stable than mechEng as a job, but its dead boring.
MechEng looks more exciting you know, working with machines, cars, engines etc. But I think it has its boring parts too like, calculations and paperwork. But then again I think every degree has a boring aspect to it so, hey what can you do.

I would advice you to seek mechanical engineering work experience or work shadowing. Which is what I am going to start looking for when i finish my work experience placement at the pharmacy.
But it all comes down to doing what you like. I cant bear the thought of doing 5 years in pharmacy school just because its a 'stable' job.

lol are you serious? A MechEng degree is very stable you can work anywhere in the world and the pay is really good. In fact a large % of graduates end up going abroad because they are tonnes more opportunities and better pays in other countries such as canada etc. Im applyin for mech eng degree(2013 entry) and i personally prefer more maths than physics i do like physics but just not as much. So obviously i will find some of the physics lectures pretty boring i dont think there is any degree where anyone would like 100% of the course they are obviously going to be bits people hate and bits people really like. An engineering degree will never lose its value because the most important attribute that any engineer has is the ability to problem solve.
Reply 5
Original post by jahuss65
As Smack has said the work can be quite varied and your options after uni are not limited, as I've got a MechEng degree but work in finance now but have also worked for engineering companies. My uni did both hand drawings and CAD drawings. You're right there is a lot of maths, only few modules that won't have any maths content like design sessions, interpersonal skill sessions. Computer work (I assume you mean CAD and similar software) is becoming more frequent, as you can produce engineering drawings using software (it's a lot easier and quicker). Especially in final year you will be using CAD and few other programs like Matlab or Ansys as you will have some sort of design project.

Is it satisfying? Depends on if you like solving problems using maths. The idea of the frst two years is to give you a good grounding in maths, dynamics, fluid mechanics etc so that you use those for real-life problems which most likely will be part of your dissertation.

Lucrative...again depends, oil & gas sector pay well and plenty of opportunties abroad. But again it depends on what sector you want to get into.

Me personally, I loved it. I love maths, physics and generally anything that is challenging. And thats what engineering is, its challenging. Work load is quite heavy though, so you won't have as much free time as people on other courses and especially in final year, it's a lot of work. If you like cars/racing then there is chance to be involved in formula student too.

how about the aviation industry whats your view about that?
Reply 6
Original post by a10
how about the aviation industry whats your view about that?

In what sense? Degree wise there is aeronautical engineering but mechanical will still get you into the aviation industry. They are quite similar but aero will obviously focus a little more on fluid dynamics.

In terms of pay and opportunities, well in the UK the aviation industry is a bit fragile at the moment. Not sure if you heard but bombardier reduced their employee numbers a year ago I think, but they were restructuring as I got a phone call from them asking if I was interested in a role. Today the EADS and BAE merger fell through. If that had gone through then UK aviation market would have been stronger so at the moment BAE might cut jobs. Defence sector does usually have jobs though. It all depends on the larger financial outlook, if the average joe is not flying then less need for aircraft (for passenger planes), if more countries are invaded then defence sector will need more aircraft. One thing I would say is mech engineers from UK universities are loved abroad especially in the rapidly developing areas.
Reply 7
In what sense? Degree wise there is aeronautical engineering but mechanical will still get you into the aviation industry. They are quite similar but aero will obviously focus a little more on fluid dynamics.

In terms of pay and opportunities, well in the UK the aviation industry is a bit fragile at the moment. Not sure if you heard but bombardier reduced their employee numbers a year ago I think, but they were restructuring as I got a phone call from them asking if I was interested in a role. Today the EADS and BAE merger fell through. If that had gone through then UK aviation market would have been stronger so at the moment BAE might cut jobs. Defence sector does usually have jobs though. It all depends on the larger financial outlook, if the average joe is not flying then less need for aircraft (for passenger planes), if more countries are invaded then defence sector will need more aircraft. One thing I would say is mech engineers from UK universities are loved abroad especially in the rapidly developing areas.

yup because im applying for mech eng 2013 entry...and after i wanted to work in the aviation industry as one of the lead engineers in design or something....but since the industry is fragile atm i might go into oil and gas or car industry(BMW, Mercedes etc) i wouldn't mind that.. i love cars :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by a10
yup because im applying for mech eng 2013 entry...and after i wanted to work in the aviation industry as one of the lead engineers in design or something....but since the industry is fragile atm i might go into oil and gas or car industry(BMW, Mercedes etc) i wouldn't mind that.. i love cars :tongue:

Sounds like mech is your best bet then as like I said it doesn't mean you can't then work in aviation. I actually worked in electrical even though I have mech background, so it depends of the employer too as the firm I worked for just wanted an engineering grad. There is plenty of other industries too not just aviation, cars. P&G are based in UK and have fair few sites and they are huge, pay well. Food industry, energy companies, there are plenty of career paths. One piece of advice I would give is to do a placement as it makes finding a job so much easier and if you get to work for someone you like i.e. BMW then you stand a far better chance of getting a permanent position with them
Reply 9
Sounds like mech is your best bet then as like I said it doesn't mean you can't then work in aviation. I actually worked in electrical even though I have mech background, so it depends of the employer too as the firm I worked for just wanted an engineering grad. There is plenty of other industries too not just aviation, cars. P&G are based in UK and have fair few sites and they are huge, pay well. Food industry, energy companies, there are plenty of career paths. One piece of advice I would give is to do a placement as it makes finding a job so much easier and if you get to work for someone you like i.e. BMW then you stand a far better chance of getting a permanent position with them

What uni did you do ur degree at? Iv applied for 5 courses but not with placement would it be possible change once you do the normal BEng or MEng course in your 2nd year of the course n request for a placement year also do you get to choose where to go? What job are you mainly looking at after you finish your degree?
Reply 10
I went to UCL. You can change but I wouldn't leave it too late as all the best placements will have been filled up. Ideally decide by end of first year as people will start applying for placements as soon as September in the 2nd year. MEng takes place after your third year i.e. after you have completed BEng.

I've graduated which is why I'm saying do a placement, as I know few people who didn't and they found it difficult to find jobs especially in the current financial climate.
Reply 11
I'm looking to do MechEng at university.

My dad also did his degree in Mech Eng, at Loughborough back in the late 60s (he's now 60 himself).

When I asked him to describe what it was like, the first thing he said was:

"working from 9.00am til 10.00pm every day and over 2 of the summer vacs" - (copied from Skype). It's a lot of hard work. Don't expect to have much of a social life.

I'm looking forward to an excuse to be working those hours so it appears that I'm sacrificing a social life rather than compensating for the lack of a pre-existing one. :P
I am undecisive about a degree in mechanical engineering as I haven't done physics at A2 level .
Would I struggle in order to pass the first year ? (I am taking A2 math,ASphysics ,A2french and Applied science)

Quick Reply

Latest