The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Arts and Sciences

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
what kind of gcse grades would be acceptable for this course.
the ucl site says that one would need a C in a language and a B in Maths and English.

Although they say this would the required gcse grades be higher?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 21
The most important thing are your AS level grades. As long as you meet the minimum level of GCSE requirements then it will be fine. Universities understand that after GCSE's students can up their game and as such they place far heavier weighting on AS level results, than GCSE.

The only time they would consider your GCSE's would be if your AS level grades are a bit poor. I got B,A,A,A,D for AS level but my GCSE grades were strong so they helped me out.

Finally, I know someone who got B's and A's (and one or two A*) at GCSE but he got into Cambridge for Architecture because he worked hard and got strong A levels. So moral of the story, focus on your AS levels! :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by Torvus
Open Day involves a test (no interview, unless you can't make the open day then it's a skype interview) which is based on your major and minor choices. It will be on stuff you covered in IB/A Levels etc so revise!!!

If I chose to major in Health and Environment does that mean I have to revise BIo/Chem stuff as well at AS? And I am doing the test soon too and I am VERY NERVOUS. I chose a minor in Societies
Original post by tinster88
If I chose to major in Health and Environment does that mean I have to revise BIo/Chem stuff as well at AS? And I am doing the test soon too and I am VERY NERVOUS. I chose a minor in Societies

I don't think you need to be nervous, the test is designed to see your basic competencies in Science and your personality and interest. If you are predicted an A at A level Chemistry, then you probably don't need to do a lot of revision. Last year I had 3 chemistry questions, all of which were A2 chemistry, but they were the type of questions that run through AS and A level chemistry like identify a functional group, draw a mechanism for a reaction etc
There weren't any specific biology questions in my test.
For societies there is nothing to revise for apart from maybe how to structure an essay. Good luck :smile:
Reply 24
I have mine tomorrow on the same theme! it sounds like its based on physics.. but I didn't take physics so I'm worried it'll be on something I don't know too! is there anyone who has already been to this lecture and test??
Reply 25

the theme of my lecture is 'Movement and Flow' which sounds a lot like physics to me! I've taken mathematics and chemistry but not physics.. does anyone who has taken this before know if it is physics based??
Reply 26
I guess we'll see each other tomorrow then!! So nERVOUS!!
Reply 27
Original post by katpoole
the theme of my lecture is 'Movement and Flow' which sounds a lot like physics to me! I've taken mathematics and chemistry but not physics.. does anyone who has taken this before know if it is physics based??

Is it one lecture and test for all pathways?
Reply 28
Original post by star999
Is it one lecture and test for all pathways?

They said that the test would depend on your chosen pathways.
LIke I chose a major in Health and Environment and Minor in Societies so I would have one chem/bio question and one general health and environment question and then one societies question
They said that the test would depend on your chosen pathways.
LIke I chose a major in Health and Environment and Minor in Societies so I would have one chem/bio question and one general health and environment question and then one societies question

Last year there were 4 lectures of 20 minutes each, each one focused on one pathway, and then you answer 2 questions from your major and one from your minor. (although my minor- health and environment, had 3 parts to it)
good luck :smile:
Reply 30
UCL has a very high portion of overseas and EU students who are non fluent in English - it has a large negative effect especially for you since a large part of your proposed course would be in Arts.

Also Be warned, classes for some courses are VERY large - how does 300 + lectures sound to you ?

Some people who are already at UCL have seen the signs of a falling institution and are trying to save their face at your expense by hyping it up to keep the application numbers to keep its reputation at an overrated level (does not mean it is a bad place just not elite, far from it in fact)
Original post by Zenomorph
UCL has a very high portion of overseas and EU students who are non fluent in English - it has a large negative effect especially for you since a large part of your proposed course would be in Arts.

Also Be warned, classes for some courses are VERY large - how does 300 + lectures sound to you ?

Some people who are already at UCL have seen the signs of a falling institution and are trying to save their face at your expense by hyping it up to keep the application numbers to keep its reputation at an overrated level (does not mean it is a bad place just not elite, far from it in fact)

what large negative effect is this?
Reply 32
Original post by indigoheart
what large negative effect is this?

Oh you'll find out if you get there.

Meantime you may want to practice every week sitting in a room with your teacher and 20 others for 50 mins, and see how much individual time you get.

Also advice you to pick up some Spanish, Greek, Italian and Mandarin or even better pigeon English.

Get used to people speaking English with parrot noises.

PPPPAAAAAAAKAKARARARARARARAAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKARAAKARAKA !

Forget AS levels or even the ability to speak fluent English if you are in international; just make sure you have a stack load of $ and you're in.

Note: Very few elite Western alumni have attended UCL - there are good reasons for that
Reply 33
Oh you'll find out if you get there.

Meantime you may want to practice every week sitting in a room with your teacher and 20 others for 50 mins, and see how much individual time you get.

Also advice you to pick up some Spanish, Greek, Italian and Mandarin or even better pigeon English.

Get used to people speaking English with parrot noises.

PPPPAAAAAAAKAKARARARARARARAAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKARAAKARAKA !

Forget AS levels or even the ability to speak fluent English if you are in international; just make sure you have a stack load of $ and you're in.

Note: Very few elite Western alumni have attended UCL - there are good reasons for that

if you are going to troll at least pick the right forum. Obviously you don't know much about the BASC course. And just as a note, if it is a pure lecture what does it matter if it has 70 people or 300. How many cambridge students are in introductory law lectures. Indeed that is why BASC has flipped lectures even with smaller group sizes.
Reply 34
Original post by star999
if you are going to troll at least pick the right forum. Obviously you don't know much about the BASC course. And just as a note, if it is a pure lecture what does it matter if it has 70 people or 300. How many cambridge students are in introductory law lectures. Indeed that is why BASC has flipped lectures even with smaller group sizes.

Are you describing yourself because only an idiot or a selfish loser would want to cover up the idea that overpopulation and too many non English speakers is bringing down the quality of the university. That is obvious and so it applies to most courses including BASc.

Who wants to pay 13000 a year to be sit next to 300 other people listen to a guy so far away that he appears 8 inches tall. You'd get better quality from the net. No bogus, rip off.

Not an elite university, has never been, will never be. UK elites are not stupid, tradition bars their attending a place with so many pigeon English speakers.

You sir are the real troller resorting to name calling like child who didn't like the response they got.
Reply 35
Are you describing yourself because only an idiot or a selfish loser would want to cover up the idea that overpopulation and too many non English speakers is bringing down the quality of the university. That is obvious and so it applies to most courses including BASc.

Who wants to pay 13000 a year to be sit next to 300 other people listen to a guy so far away that he appears 8 inches tall. You'd get better quality from the net. No bogus, rip off.

Not an elite university, has never been, will never be. UK elites are not stupid, tradition bars their attending a place with so many pigeon English speakers.

You sir are the real troller resorting to name calling like child who didn't like the response they got.

From what I can tell from your profile this is the third Uni you have claimed to attend that was falling apart or was terrible. You do get around.
Original post by Torvus
Oh mean Prongsi! Well I am a current BASc (Bachelors of Arts & Sciences) student so I can cover some of your questions.

1. Workload - Depends on what modules you take, since you pretty much have a selection of much of UCL's modules you can have one term busy and one term free. This term I have 5 modules Physics, Engineering, Maths, Japanese & Approaches to Knowledge. Next term is Law, Quantitative Methods, Research Methods and Japanese. Having all your science ones in one term is a bit tough. Plus for the core modules much of your learning is done home via lecture videos and assignments, so you have to watch lectures before class. This means that some people say that BASc is worth 1.5 degrees time-wise because of the different types of subjects you study and the innovative way of teaching. But if you're good enough you should be able to handle it which links nicely onto the next part,

2. People - A diverse range of high quality candidates, obviously it being UCL you would expect strong candidates to apply, but honestly I would say that these students are some of the best and most motivated students you can find at UCL (even though I am biased, but then again I have been around UCL for 3 years now and have studied a previous course, so maybe not so biased).

Hmmm it's only been a few weeks since I started so I don't know what else to say. Oh we have the newest common room in UCL and by far the best, it's MASSIVE compared to other departments with it's own conference room (fitted with widescreen tv) computer stations, sofas and kitchen. Plus the staff are very responsive, any queries you have are answered almost immediately and they really go far to accommodate you. So much so that they are taking us on an all-expenses paid trip to Windsor next month. Anymore questions just post them up and I'll try and answer them :smile:

Hi, I thinking of applying for this course and I was a bit confused about how I would go about it in my personal statement, as the admissions person said they do not take into account the personal statemnt?

Also, what are typical grades of students, I.E for AS and predictions?

thanks
Original post by kamrul1234
Hi, I thinking of applying for this course and I was a bit confused about how I would go about it in my personal statement, as the admissions person said they do not take into account the personal statemnt?

Also, what are typical grades of students, I.E for AS and predictions?

thanks

Hi :smile: I based my personal statment on the other courses I was applying for. I covered my main 3 academic disciplines and why I liked linking them
The standard offer is AAA I believe, I had AAAB for AS, and was predicted A*A*A, and I got A*AA :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Torvus
For Sciences and Engineering it will definitely cover A Level stuff, I got Differentiation and Integration for Maths, and Enthalpy of Vaporisation (something like that) equations to calculate. Stuff you should know from your current studies, so read up on your AS Level Science and Maths.

Hi, I've got the test coming up soon (not sure what happened to my stress levels). My minor pathway is societies, but my arty a level was art, nothing political and I'm on a gap year so I don't have anything to revise from. I'm getting my bio text book back but if any BAScs have any advice on the test then that would really help.
Thank you! :smile:
Original post by sophieandmillie
Hi, I've got the test coming up soon (not sure what happened to my stress levels). My minor pathway is societies, but my arty a level was art, nothing political and I'm on a gap year so I don't have anything to revise from. I'm getting my bio text book back but if any BAScs have any advice on the test then that would really help.
Thank you! :smile:

Hi - the thread Ask an Arts and sciences student is a lot more active than this one

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest