The Student Room Group

Cambridge Pre-U any benefit for Medicine application?

Title pretty much says it all. Is Cambridge Pre-U of any benefit of increasing your chances to studying Medicine at the Russell Group Unis along with your other A-Level subjects?
Reply 1
The Pre-U is still a 'level 3' course, so it is still viewed in the same light as any other level 3 course i.e. A levels. I don't study the pre-U, but i do take an alternative level 3 qualification (international baccaulaureate). whilst on paper this won't put me at an advantage offer-wise, I chose the course because it appeals to me and my style of learning and I think that it's helped to develop me into a more competitive applicant. So, in black and white terms, the universities can't allow the Pre-U to advantage you as they're not allowed to positively discriminate equal qualifications, but it all depends on what you think the benefits of the course are and what you'll think you'll gain from that in terms of your application. I hope that kind of helps..? I remember wondering the same thing when i was deciding whether to take the IB over a levels this time last year. Its a more rigorous course so i feel a more independant learner now- my (limited) understanding of the pre-U is that it is similarly rigorous and revolves around in depth knowledge/research etc. If you think that will help you to develop competitive skills then maybe it's woth considering. :smile:
Hello! I'm thinking of taking a pre u as well! Which pre U's are you thinking of?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by nachosandcheese
Hello! I'm thinking of taking a pre u as well! Which pre U's are you thinking of?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

The Cambridge Pre-U. I think it's worth it, plus all Universities accept it, but I suggest you have a mixture of A-Levels and Pre-U, like 4 A-Levels and Pre-U. That not only looks good to Unis but also shows you're an allround candidate, that's if your doing Science and Maths A-Levels, Pre-U will show that you have another skill on you.

Btw, Pre-U stands for Preparation for University or something like that, LOL, but yeah, it tests your skills on locating and researching material and being able to spot logical fallacies in an argument. I think it's worthwhile for developing your argument skills and opinions, so Yeah I think it's worth it, but that's up to you to decide. Oh, also cos it's preparing you for Uni, KNOW that the teacher isn't going to help you when you're writing up an essay you're interested in, treat it like Uni, you choose a world topic that interests you and you have to find the info, check if it's reliable and all that crap then write your essay. I find it quite fun to do, cos you can write your opinion about anything!!! And it gets sent to Cambridge, so it's kinda cool if you have a genuine interest in world events or issues, I don't know if this will help at all! But yeah, just said what I know :s-smilie:
Original post by ManWithTwoHorns
The Cambridge Pre-U. I think it's worth it, plus all Universities accept it, but I suggest you have a mixture of A-Levels and Pre-U, like 4 A-Levels and Pre-U. That not only looks good to Unis but also shows you're an allround candidate, that's if your doing Science and Maths A-Levels, Pre-U will show that you have another skill on you.

Btw, Pre-U stands for Preparation for University or something like that, LOL, but yeah, it tests your skills on locating and researching material and being able to spot logical fallacies in an argument. I think it's worthwhile for developing your argument skills and opinions, so Yeah I think it's worth it, but that's up to you to decide. Oh, also cos it's preparing you for Uni, KNOW that the teacher isn't going to help you when you're writing up an essay you're interested in, treat it like Uni, you choose a world topic that interests you and you have to find the info, check if it's reliable and all that crap then write your essay. I find it quite fun to do, cos you can write your opinion about anything!!! And it gets sent to Cambridge, so it's kinda cool if you have a genuine interest in world events or issues, I don't know if this will help at all! But yeah, just said what I know :s-smilie:

Thank you! Thats so helpful! Just wondering did you take a pre u? I'm thinking of taking bio, chem and maths a level and maybe pre u in economics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nachosandcheese
Thank you! Thats so helpful! Just wondering did you take a pre u? I'm thinking of taking bio, chem and maths a level and maybe pre u in economics

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do Pre-U along with 4 ASs, I suggest you do the same because It's better to, plus you would want 4 ASs and Pre-U...It just looks a lot more better than substituting an A-Level.

That's what I'm doing.
Reply 6
Original post by ManWithTwoHorns

i take the pre u and you don't know what you are talking about.
Reply 7
Original post by Terminator101
Title pretty much says it all. Is Cambridge Pre-U of any benefit of increasing your chances to studying Medicine at the Russell Group Unis along with your other A-Level subjects?

Pre-u courses are (off the record) considered to be a fair bit harder than A levels and they are supposed to prepare you for independent study better so if you take them you may get a slight advantage over A level applicants. Also you can aim for that D1 which is higher than an A* although no offer will ever require it
Original post by eeeeeh
i take the pre u and you don't know what you are talking about.
From your own experience would you recommend others to take it?
Reply 9
I would have to say no I'm afraid.

I took 2 Pre-U's and two a-levels the first year pre-u was introduced and I found it made absolutely no difference to my medicine application process. They view a D3 as equivalent to an A so in fact it works against you in many ways since its actually worth slightly more in ucas points and a harder exam.

It's worth remembering also you cant retake Pre-U's and they are not modular as a pose to A-level so you have to remember 2 years worth of information for the exams (although with the changes happening to A-levels in the future I am not sure how they will compare).

In general many of my friends also did Pre-U and did not find it benefited them on any course even ones offered by Cambridge/Oxford who write the exams. In my opinion you should stick to A-levels and make life easier for yourself.

Any other questions about it, feel free to PM.
Reply 10
Original post by goldenshades
From your own experience would you recommend others to take it?

definitely the courses ive done in pre u have been so much more interesting with much more choice over what you can study/ what your teachers can choose you study and a more freedom in essays in terms of what you can write and still get marks . and having no year 12 exam means you can focus on learning for much longer before actually revising
Original post by eeeeeh
definitely the courses ive done in pre u have been so much more interesting with much more choice over what you can study/ what your teachers can choose you study and a more freedom in essays in terms of what you can write and still get marks . and having no year 12 exam means you can focus on learning for much longer before actually revising
That's good :smile: Do you have to do coursework to kinda make up for there being no exams on the first year?
Reply 12
Original post by goldenshades
That's good :smile: Do you have to do coursework to kinda make up for there being no exams on the first year?

no more coursework than in a levels... your exams at the end of the 2 years will be longer though... because they are testing you on two year's material.. but after two years of study you know the material pretty well so its ok

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending